General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User scolland
(newbie) Thu 16-Aug-12 13:23:05
Print Post

Sky Fibre - Selective on cabinet by cabinet bases?

[link to this post]

Hi all,

I am (hopefully) about to move into a house in the Worksop area, and I have noticed that the previous occupants had BT Infinity installed.

I would like to take Sky Fibre, but when I enter the address and Post Code, it shows as not available. (for info, the house is on cabinet 61, with the fibre two commissioned as I can order from BT).

My sister lives three or four roads away and is on cabinet 65 which also shows BT Infinity is available to order, AND she could order Sky FTTC.

How is it that I am on an enabled cabinet and an enabled exchange, but can't order Sky FTTC?

Any ideas?

Thanks
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 16-Aug-12 13:42:59
Print Post

Re: Sky Fibre - Selective on cabinet by cabinet bases?

[re: scolland] [link to this post]

Is the telephone line active in the property? It may simply be a database confusion thing.

Postcode checks also add an extra layer of errors, so need to do it via telephone number

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User scolland
(newbie) Thu 16-Aug-12 13:49:57
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks for the reply Andrew,

In fairness, yes both checks are via postcode.

The complication I have is there is no active phone line at the address, and I don't want a sky phone line if I can't get their fibre for some reason.

The other reason I was looking is that TopCashBack are doing some pretty good cashback deals if you order a line and fibre online!

Is it likely to be a database error then? - I thought they used BT's data, which shows the address as ok (100% of postcodes connected to PCP 61.

Thanks

James

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Thu 16-Aug-12 14:00:42
Print Post

with Sky you NEED to take their phone line as per their t&c's

Sky fibre also needs to have their kit enabled at the exchange as well as FTTC at your cabinet.

Also the last time I looked a few weeks ago Sky did not have a fibre to fibre migration service. You would need to order a Sky line, get their LLU broadband service and then upgrade to Sky fibre.

It does seem to be a bit backwards and it does mean you need to have space at the exchange for LLU connections and then have the exchange ready for Sky fibre.
Standard User scolland
(newbie) Thu 16-Aug-12 14:15:58
Print Post

Is there any way to get Sky to *Fix* their database to show the address as serviceable?
Standard User scolland
(newbie) Thu 16-Aug-12 14:19:09
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

I don't mind ordering their Phone line and Fibre at the same time, what I don't want is to be stuck with a sky phone line if they won't provide the fibre.

The exchange is Sky fibre enabled, my sister lives three streets down on another cab and she can order a phone line and fibre together, but I can't, yet we are on the same (WORKSOP) exchange, ok, two different cabinets but both have their fibre twin and are both enabled (as evidenced by the fact we can both order fibre from BT).
Standard User undecidedadrian
(regular) Thu 16-Aug-12 14:20:55
Print Post

In reply to a post by scolland:
Is there any way to get Sky to *Fix* their database to show the address as serviceable?

It may be that there is no LLU capacity at the exchange which is generating the error or the lack of phone number at the address which is generating the error.

These online checkers do tend to rely on certain conditions, such as working BT line for them to work properly.
Standard User ukhardy07
(experienced) Thu 16-Aug-12 14:28:02
Print Post

You would be best to telephone sky and see what they can do.

You would loose cash back but I'm sure they'd resolve things.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 16-Aug-12 14:28:38
Print Post

Down to talking to Sky, their order system is more variable than others, and part of this can be to force the more complex situations to order over phone, losing cashback etc

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User scolland
(newbie) Thu 16-Aug-12 15:37:42
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

Thanks all, my real reservation is that Sky with £101 cash back = DEAL
Without the £101 back, I would probably go with Infinity...
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to