General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User PhotoFiend
(learned) Sat 18-Aug-12 14:32:48
Print Post

To fibre or not to fibre - customer care is the question

[link to this post]

Hi guys

I am and have been with O2 for over two years, have their old premium (I think) package which is truly unlimited and I have their phone service as well, costs me around £30-£35 a month and runs at around 10.5mbps.

I've only ever had a couple of problems in that time and when I have I've spoken to someone in an english call centre who didn't just follow a script and fixed the problem swiftly...except for when I rang the other day with a simple question and was cut off twice, given wrong information and then had a fustrating time getting it sorted.

Anyway...

Fibre is now in my area but it isn't as simple a decision as for most people.

I run a business from home and have my business line through VOIP, the quality of the product and the backup when I need it are my most important factors.

I'm not going for a business package as it will cost more (been stung in the past) and I will have to pass those costs onto my customers which I don't want and in this climate can't really afford to do., so that's out.

So I don't know what to do...keep as I am, better the devil you know and all that or cross my fingers, upgrade and get better download and upload speeds.

I think I would be getting at least a three times increase in speed by going for fibre.

What is the support like for BT or Sky these days? I've been looking at the BT forums and there is some grim reading to be had on there, with anecdotal reports saying about how good BTs support was and it's gone downhill lately.
Standard User JNeuhoff
(experienced) Sat 18-Aug-12 15:18:50
Print Post

Re: To fibre or not to fibre - customer care is the question

[re: PhotoFiend] [link to this post]

Are you sure you got fibre in your area? In most areas, BT does not provide fibre lines.

Chances are you will still keep your old copper wire, at the most it will only be fibre from the street cabinet to your local exchange.

If you can post your exchange details (look it up on samknows.co.uk) someone should be able to point out some of the better ISPs for small business users.

Xilo is a good ISP for small business users.
Standard User PhotoFiend
(learned) Sat 18-Aug-12 15:41:09
Print Post

[re: JNeuhoff] [link to this post]

Thanks for the reply.

I should have made it clear, it's FTTC I'm talking about.

My exchange is enabled for FTTC. I've just had a look at Xilo you mentioned but I find the caps it's places rather restrictive, I'd like an unmetered service.

I used to be with Zen and constantly had it in my mind about exceeding my data allowance...O2 has been great in that respect so any ISP has to be totally unmetered or I think I'd prefer to stay where I am.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User StephenTodd
(member) Sat 18-Aug-12 15:42:14
Print Post

I've found BT support fine, but there are clearly quite a few with disaster stories. I guess strictly if you are running a business from home you are not withing the Ts&Cs of either O2 nor BT's home services, but that is up to you. If you go for the BT business service you will have UK support rather than Indian; I have found the Indians polite and helpful. Most of the issues with FTTC seem to be Openreach at heart, not BT retail or other retailers. Whoever you go with on FTTC, you will be running the Openreach gauntlet of missed appointments and (a few) hamfisted installers. The BT retail ordering process seems to be particularly terrible once it goes wrong.

--
Moved (with trepidation) to BT Infinity 2 for upload speed. Happy BE user for several years.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 18-Aug-12 16:31:52
Print Post

The fact that your exchange has been enabled doesn't necessarily mean you cabinet has. What does this checker say about your phone number? (Not the postcode or address).

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - Plusnet Value Fibre FTTC 80/20 trial.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User PhotoFiend
(learned) Sat 18-Aug-12 16:48:44
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Thanks for the reply, you are right in your consternation, my area was enabled but for some reason my road wasn't, a case of "computer says no" I think...I'm pleased to say it's all up and running now.

Your exchange is ADSL enabled, and our initial test on your line indicates that your line should be able to have an ADSL broadband service that provides a fixed line speed up to 2Mbps.

Our test also indicates that your line currently supports an estimated ADSL Max broadband line speed of 8Mbps; typically the line speed would range between 7Mbps and 8Mbps.

Our test also indicates that your line currently supports an estimated ADSL2+ broadband line speed of 10.5Mbps; typically the line speed would range between 9.5Mbps and 11.5Mbps. Our test also indicates that your line could support an estimated ADSL 2+ Annex-M broadband upstream line speed of 1Mbps and downstream line speed of 10.5Mbps; typically the downstream speed would range between 9.5Mbps and 11.5Mbps.

Our test also indicates that your line currently supports a fibre technology with an estimated WBC FTTC Broadband where consumers have received downstream line speed of 25.7Mbps and upstream line speed of 5.7Mbps.

The actual stable line speed supportable will be determined during the first 10 days of use. This speed may change over time, to ensure line stability is maintained.

Furthermore your exchange has been enabled for multicast services on fibre lines, please contact your provider for further details.

If you decide to place an order, a further test will be performed to confirm if your line is suitable for the service you wish to purchase.

Thank you for your interest."

Edited by PhotoFiend (Sat 18-Aug-12 16:51:41)

Standard User R0NSKI
(committed) Sat 18-Aug-12 17:10:50
Print Post

Have you considered Plus Net? Although not unlimited you do get 250GB with the new packages and unlimited between midnight and 8am, they have also relaxed the throttling the apply to certain protocols.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 18-Aug-12 17:11:17
Print Post

That's fine smile.

Sky "officially" don't allow business use of their domestic service, and I have no idea of their VOIP facilities.

BT doesn't seem to come across too badly from what I see here. There's bound to be a lot of complaints with that number of customers. MHC swears by his BT Business Broadband on a domestic line, and apparently that gets good UK support and of course a priority response to problems. Was your bad experience of a business connection with BT?

I went from O2 Standard to IDNet Fibre for a year, then moved to Plusnet, (with trepidation), and have to say I'm impressed. I don't expect the 40GB (peak time) product would do for you - but it might, depending on the type of business. The 250GB one is only £19.99pm. Traffic management has been relaxe but the new details aren't on the website yet.

The telephone support seems to get plenty of bad reports, but my experience of it has been fine. The rep support here and in the community forum is very good.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - Plusnet Value Fibre FTTC 80/20 trial.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User jchamier
(knowledge is power) Sat 18-Aug-12 17:16:03
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
Sky "officially" don't allow business use of their domestic service, and I have no idea of their VOIP facilities.

What is unclear is if they mean business use for a self employed with the office at home, or people home working who are employed by a larger business.

Virgin Media (when they were NTL) tried to ban both, and gained a massive amount of backlash. Most people don't mind banning the former from domestic services.

In fact many small business can use much less broadband (Download / upload) than domestic users, just look at AAISP's pricing for one example. Businesses often aren't downloading movies at 10GB at a time smile

James be* pro (16.8 / 1.2 sync) - BQM - FTTC cab arrived 18-jun-2012 - active 16-aug-2012
Sky Broadband Unlimited Fibre Pro ordered 16/Aug - estimate 45.6/6.5 mbps - install 4th Sept

Edited by jchamier (Sat 18-Aug-12 17:16:57)

Standard User DrTeeth
(knowledge is power) Sat 18-Aug-12 17:25:33
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by jchamier:
Businesses often aren't downloading movies at 10GB at a time smile

I have NEVER come across a *film* that came in at that size. The vast majority are 700MB and the quality is excellent, so I have been told wink.

DrT

Stress - the condition brought about by having to resist the temptation to beat the living daylights out of someone who richly deserves it.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to