General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User tbailey2
(regular) Sun 19-Aug-12 11:20:54
Print Post

Getting FTTC in a Village when not planned

[link to this post]

Does anyone have an idea what the actual current criteria are for getting FTTC to an area please? Looking around, it appears it's cost/investment/return based.

It seems that towns and villages around me (Hurstpierpoint SDHRSTP) have got/are getting FTTC but no sign of anything for us (after checking the Dec Spreadsheets and latest BT announcement)... Looking at SamKnows details for the various exchanges near here, our village is not that different to another planned near here. ADSL take-up seems high in the village from what I can establish. There's also a large private college but not sure how they currently get their broadband.

Does the 'Register your interest' BT Infinity form actually have any effect on decisions? I have filled it in for both my numbers as have many other people nearby that I've asked. If it does then I'll start a campaign locally to get people to apply, as done when we were in the same situation with ADSL back in 2003 - I think we needed 500/600 for that to get action but the archive forum posts don't go back that far to when this was ADSLGuide (unless there is a way?).

Nearby Exchanges:

Exchange name: Hurstpierpoint (Nothing planned apparently)
Exchange code: SDHRSTP
Postcode: BN69SR
Serves (approx): 2,880 residential premises
147 non-residential premises.

Exchange name: Henfield (just announced for 2013 Phase 10)
Exchange code: SDHNFLD
Postcode: BN59DB
Serves (approx): 2,860 residential premises
213 non-residential premises.

Hassocks (nearest village and outskirts are 1km away)
- FTTC cabs popping up everywhere currently for 12/2012
Exchange name: Hassocks
Exchange code: SDHSSCK
Postcode: BN68LH
Serves (approx): 3,994 residential premises
178 non-residential premises.

Burgess Hill - FTTC available in some areas
- large town a few Km North of me
Exchange name: Burgess Hill
Exchange code: SDBRGSS
Postcode: RH158DX
Serves (approx): 12,421 residential premises
825 non-residential premises.

TIA for any observations.

Tony
Hurstpierpoint, West Sussex
My Live Router Stats

ZeN Active 40dB 2.9Km
Billion Bipac 7800 @ 1 - 3dB
My Broadband Speed Test
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 19-Aug-12 14:33:43
Print Post

Re: Getting FTTC in a Village when not planned

[re: tbailey2] [link to this post]

BT Infinity interest is just that, and they may or may not pass this onto Openreach who make the decisions.

The commercial rollout has a target of 2/3rds of the country, so all depends on the number of people on your cabinet.

Need 200 or so for the smaller cab, and 400+ for the larger cabinets. Also distance to the fibre network is a factor. So essentially it is money from locals, or just wait for the council to do its project which has a deadline of May 2015.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User blueacid
(committed) Sun 19-Aug-12 21:34:57
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Bah, my cab serves only around 150 premises...

..although it's very near the centre of Manchester, so I'm hoping they might get keen to do it soon! Hopefully..

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User simon194
(member) Sun 19-Aug-12 22:09:39
Print Post

[re: blueacid] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by blueacid:
Bah, my cab serves only around 150 premises...

..although it's very near the centre of Manchester, so I'm hoping they might get keen to do it soon! Hopefully..

The exchange that my parents are connected to covers just over 1100 premises and BT/Openreach don't regard it as big enough to even upgrade it for 21CN and even if the county secures BDUK funding there is no likelihood of fibre geting there until at least 2017 at the earliest.
Standard User VictorMeldrew
(learned) Sun 19-Aug-12 22:34:19
Print Post

[re: simon194] [link to this post]

i guess they vary greatly, ours is a small area but still has bigger numbers

15,489 residential premises
670 non-residential premises.

at this moment no fibre or 21CN

Edited by VictorMeldrew (Sun 19-Aug-12 22:35:37)

Standard User cammyuk81
(newbie) Sun 19-Aug-12 23:04:05
Print Post

We are going through the same process at the moment, start by speaking to people getting local mps and councillors involved then see if the local press can be involved its also worth having an off the record chat with the person dealing with your BDUK at the local council.

If its of any help have a look at what we did on www.fibreformiddleton.org.uk

We are by no means there in fact we are fighting in the midst of BDUK funding against BT who would prefer the most expensive cabinets were covered btpy BDUK
Standard User MHC
(legend) Sun 19-Aug-12 23:04:32
Print Post

If you think you have a long wait ahead ... two exchanges I am interested in for my Scottish location:

Serves (approx):
39 residential premises
4 non-residential premises.

ADSL status: Enabled as of 13/07/2005
ADSL Max status: Enabled
SDSL status: Not available
21CN WBC status: Not available
FTTC status: Not available

AND

Serves (approx):
473 residential premises
22 non-residential premises.

ADSL status: Enabled as of 06/10/2004
ADSL Max status: Enabled as of 31/03/2006
SDSL status: Not available
21CN WBC status: Not available
FTTC status: Not available

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User tbailey2
(regular) Mon 20-Aug-12 07:46:42
Print Post

[re: cammyuk81] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by cammyuk81:
We are going through the same process at the moment, start by speaking to people getting local mps and councillors involved then see if the local press can be involved its also worth having an off the record chat with the person dealing with your BDUK at the local council.

If its of any help have a look at what we did on www.fibreformiddleton.org.uk

We are by no means there in fact we are fighting in the midst of BDUK funding against BT who would prefer the most expensive cabinets were covered by BDUK

Thanks to you others for comments. It appears that the local county council have BDUK underway and reckon they will start on implementing it next year. They have an 'interest' form buried on their web site although I'm not yet convinced many people know about it. They are saying that 'its private sector partners will be working to provide access to broadband in all parts of the County by April 2015 and access to superfast broadband to 90% of premises by the same date '.

Whether that will happen of course is anyone's guess. I have to go to the council offices later this week so will try and find the person dealing with it. In the meantime, am going to try and organise some posters/leaflets/web site etc as was done here 10 years ago and cross fingers etc.

One of the problems is that in talking to neighbours while trying to solve a REIN problem over the past two months, very few people have any idea of what speed they are actually getting anyway and are pretty apathetic about improving it. It 'just works' for them, as it should, most of the time although many complained of frequent loss of service near me which is now hopefully resolved.

Tony
Hurstpierpoint, West Sussex
My Live Router Stats

ZeN Active 40dB 2.9Km
Billion Bipac 7800 @ 1 - 3dB
My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User cammyuk81
(newbie) Mon 20-Aug-12 12:19:30
Print Post

A good plan make sure you get a loyalty card for the paper you'll need a lot of it.

We are on the 2nd leaflet drop out of 1,600 houses time is a also a great virtue to have with this
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Mon 20-Aug-12 17:21:33
Print Post

http://www.ewhurst-broadband.org.uk/ might be of interest

--

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
  Print Thread

Jump to