General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: << 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | [13] | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User jezchang
(newbie) Wed 15-Jul-15 11:19:10
Print Post

Re: Superfast Berkshire

[re: ccxo] [link to this post]

Could you clear up something for me?
I live in Wokingham and have been following the progress of the programme for some months now. According to the interactive map, superfast internet has been enabled/is now Live in my area as part of Phase 1.
The cabinet is Wokingham P76. However, when I go to the BT Wholesale Availability Checker and type in my phone number or address, it doesn't list fibre as an available option.

I have a feeling that my building, (although it appears under the "live" section) is probably connected to one of the cabinets in the Phase 2 areas.

Is there any way of confirming this?
Standard User ccxo
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 18-Jul-15 17:44:03
Print Post

[re: jezchang] [link to this post]

Hi, when using the BT wholesale checker- using either your phone number or address do the results show you as connected to cab 76.

If they do and their is no FTTC listed it could be either a error or you are too far away from the fttc cab- if you pm your postcode i can look at the distance.

Their are only 3 cabinets being enabled under phase 1 for Wokingham P2 & P76 are both live and P88 is due by the end of September.

P76- location is below, street view is a bit old 2009.

https://goo.gl/B0kARA

As for phase 2 the contracts where split for different councils- Reading and Wokingham had a bid from Call Flow Solutions but this was not completed before the deadline due to a technicality, no further news at current.

Orange BB 5856/448
Standard User RG41
(newbie) Mon 20-Jul-15 17:19:44
Print Post

[re: ccxo] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ccxo:
Their are only 3 cabinets being enabled under phase 1 for Wokingham P2 & P76 are both live and P88 is due by the end of September.

P76- location is below, street view is a bit old 2009.

https://goo.gl/B0kARA

I had been curious if excluding Wokingham's main trading estate (I wouldnt go as far as calling it a busines park) from the commercial FTTC roll-out was due to technical reasons or to prevent these businesses from being tempted to replace existing leased lines with more cost effective GEA-FTTC based services...

I havent been past recently enough to notice if a new DSLAM cab has appeared next to P76, although if you take a step back in Streetview there is marginally more recent shot from 2011 that unsurprisingly doesnt show any changes given that P76 was targeted for 31st March 2015 completion on the previous schedule that was published 19th December 2014 smile

Although curiously putting a random selection of numbers from nearby businesses into the BT availability checker shows that P76 primarily covers Eastheath Avenue and despite it being located very close to the junction between that and Molly Millars Lane, properties on Molly Millars Lane itself are served by cabinet 25.. even those located in the green areas which SuperFast Berkshire's map claims are 'live'...

Could 76 be a partial infill for 25 to attempt to only bring FTTC to the residential properties that have appeared on brownfield sites within what was previously an exclusively commercial area?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 20-Jul-15 17:31:36
Print Post

[re: RG41] [link to this post]

Cab 76 if that's the one covering you and the park did not serve many telephone lines and that was the largest factor as far as I can tell.

i.e. no point enabling a cab with just 60 premises on it, when plenty of others with 200+ in the UK

Income to openreach from FTTC is the same for SME compared to residential, so a simple equation and to be honest while a few firms might downgrade from leased line to FTTC, the loss of SLA/slow fault repair times mean if advising I would warn against doing so if Internet access is important.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User RG41
(newbie) Mon 20-Jul-15 17:53:22
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Im still confused that by the looks of the Superfast Berkshire map the green coverage area of cab 76 is nearly an enclave of the blue area that may be served by cab 25.. does anyone know where cab 25 is and how many premesis it serves compared to cab 76?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 20-Jul-15 18:04:21
Print Post

Outside Lidl for cabinet 25

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.405621,-0.846577,3...

Its around half the premises of 76

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User RG41
(newbie) Mon 20-Jul-15 18:25:27
Print Post

ahh cheers, does that include what looks like a large block of recently built flats across the road from 25?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 20-Jul-15 19:34:42
Print Post

Probably not

Standard User jezchang
(newbie) Tue 21-Jul-15 08:33:30
Print Post

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
Probably not

That explains my situation then. I live in one of those apartment blocks and the BT wholesale checker shows that I'm connected to cabinet 25.
Standard User ccxo
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 21-Jul-15 19:17:38
Print Post

[re: jezchang] [link to this post]

Are the flats quite new, if so you could talkto the developer, they may provide the gap funding that is needed to enable the cabinet- £30,000- £40,000 are figures that have been quoted for other areas- otherwise its private funding.

Reading and Wokingham may go for a new tender to improve coverage- as their was further funding to expand coverage up to 95%+, have to wait to see what happens.

RG41

Their have been a few cabinets enabled that are on industrial estates- though before the Gigaclear announcement, the funding could have gone to more residential areas for more coverage.

As for the Superfast Berkshire Map it is postcode based so while large areas appear to be live, the map does not account for line distance. So areas that are shown as live will be under the 30Mbps target or will not see any benefit.

Mid July Update

The project is up to 94 cabinets, with another 24 to come- with 9 still in survey/under discussion, 18,940 homes passed.

Orange BB 5856/448

Edited by ccxo (Tue 21-Jul-15 20:52:56)

Pages in this thread: << 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | [13] | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to