General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: << 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | [17] | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User keith969
(regular) Sun 13-Sep-15 14:05:06
Print Post

Re: Cabinet 30 on Woodley Exchange

[re: Furnace] [link to this post]

Ha. I used to live in Woodley (near the railway line) and we were cabled by NTL in (IIRC) the late 90's. By the time we left in 2009 I was getting 20Mb/s (after NTL had been bought by Virgin). Is that the new development on the old Linpac site off Headley Road? Have you checked with Virgin if they have cable available?

I've seen a similar problem in our village which has a new development of about 180 homes (I am not in it thank goodness). Only ADSL supported, despite a FTTC cab a few hundred yards away and less than 1Km from the exchange. Developers did this without any improvement in local services (schools, doctors, shops, traffic management etc) so not really suprised.
Standard User keith969
(regular) Sun 13-Sep-15 14:13:48
Print Post

[re: Fastman2] [link to this post]

might be this one:

http://www.colesarchitects.co.uk/consent-for-93-home...
Standard User Furnace
(member) Sun 13-Sep-15 17:44:06
Print Post

Hi,

This is the development - https://www.taylorwimpey.co.uk/find-your-home/englan...

There is a green box at the entrance to the development and then a much smaller cabinet down our road which looks about half the size of others I've seen in the area. I'll try and get some photos of both as it would be useful to get some info on any likelihood of future updates based on the cabinet types.

I have spoken to the technical team to ask about broadband and it was only agreed for voice I believe but I'll have to check my emails tomorrow to see what exactly was said as I could be wrong. They seemed to imply it was Openreach who had made the decision though. I know at other Taylor Wimpey developments in the area most are FTTC or FTTP (FTTP not always Openreach) so seems strange that such a large development would ever be given copper when there is plenty of scope of selling in other products in the future based on having the decent connection.

What's annoying is there is a temporary office (shipping container!) about 20ft from our front door which is connected to another existing cabinet and can receive FTTC products so its clearly not that it's too far from the exchange or there is no fibre in the area.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 13-Sep-15 18:12:03
Print Post

No legal requirement to provide anything more than dial-up access really, and with the pressure of meeting existing BDUK contract work and even in old commercial areas some cabinets still waiting on an upgrade then you will be on a list, but might be so far down it no-one even knows you are on the list.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Fastman2
(committed) Sun 13-Sep-15 19:26:07
Print Post

[re: keith969] [link to this post]

keith what the development and developer please
Standard User Fastman2
(committed) Sun 13-Sep-15 19:31:10
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

if its a new box at entrance to development and been built between now and 15 months ago pretty good change will have been too late for commercial programme and not postcode to have been cincluded in an intervention area for BDUK
Standard User ccxo
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 15-Sep-15 03:20:57
Print Post

Re: West Berks Gigaclear

Cab 12 is outside the exchange in Woolhampton- you mentioned it earlier but have referred to it as being in the village of Midgham.

Cab 6 was discussed earlier in the thread- gigtek will receive FTTP from Gigaclear just a case of waiting till some time in 2017- 99% coverage in West Berkshire.

Furnace the developer with enough pressure should fund for a FTTC cab from Openreach- otherwise its waiting for infill by Openreach or gap funding.

BDUK 2 funding for Reading and Wokingham is on hold until the issue is sorted and contracts can be awarded.

Orange BB 5856/448

Edited by ccxo (Tue 15-Sep-15 03:22:00)

Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 15-Sep-15 08:54:07
Print Post

[re: keith969] [link to this post]

Is that the new development on the old Linpac site off Headley Road?

Nah, the new stuff appearing near the Sanford lane entrance.

Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 15-Sep-15 08:59:50
Print Post

What's annoying is there is a temporary office (shipping container!) about 20ft from our front door which is connected to another existing cabinet and can receive FTTC products

You on about the 'stack' of four containers for the newer part of the site ? If so, I actually fitted those lines ! grin

Standard User RG41
(newbie) Tue 15-Sep-15 11:48:15
Print Post

Re: West Berks Gigaclear

[re: ccxo] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ccxo:
BDUK 2 funding for Reading and Wokingham is on hold until the issue is sorted and contracts can be awarded.

*The* issue?
Pages in this thread: << 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | [17] | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to