General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: << 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | [20] | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User lagrian
(newbie) Mon 19-Oct-15 15:01:14
Print Post

Re: West Berks Gigaclear

[re: ccxo] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ccxo:
You will be covered under the Gigaclear deployment- Midgham CP is not planned until Phase 3

Thanks for the help, I have dropped them an email. Would you happen to know why I would be covered in the Midgham rollout rather than the Woolhampton one. I live about 50m from the Woolhampton exchange currently on cabinet 6 which is also serviced by the Woolhampton exchnage?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 19-Oct-15 15:06:23
Print Post

[re: lagrian] [link to this post]

Exchange and cabinet foot prints are totally irrelevant for Gigaclear roll-outs

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User lagrian
(newbie) Mon 19-Oct-15 15:56:39
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

That's interesting thanks for that.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ccxo
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 20-Oct-15 01:06:32
Print Post

Sorry should have put a name next to each of the replies- for Gigaclear they will work on a parish basis and cover the parts where commercial and phase 1 have not reached.

Their will be overlap with phase 1 where say a cabinet has been enabled but due to distance properties that do not meet the superfast target will be covered.

Still phase 3 to wait for but Woolhampton instead of Aldermaston parish, postcode level data will follow for each phase, Gigaclear will be alot more open with their deployment.

Orange BB 5856/448
Standard User hattersley
(newbie) Wed 21-Oct-15 00:36:49
Print Post

ccxo - Thanks for the information around the Gigaclear deployment. From your update It seems like I should just hold tight and wait until closer to the rollout date for my Parish before seeking more information about the plans for my street.

It's a shame Gigaclear don't feel like laying the fibre in my street right now as the footpaths have not been finished yet, but I know how utility companies like to keep digging up footpaths, especially recently laid ones smile
Standard User lagrian
(newbie) Wed 21-Oct-15 10:20:23
Print Post

Thanks for the clear and concise information. Its a waiting game then I suppose, hopefully it will mean we can look at getting the 1 Gbps up and down when they eventually arrive and my property pops into the list of targeted properties
Standard User gigtek
(newbie) Mon 26-Oct-15 18:18:06
Print Post

The frustration those of us on Cabinet 6 in Woolhampton feel is that until July we were told we would get FTTC in September 2015. Suddenly this was removed and now we have to wait until 2016-17 before we can see any chance of FTTP. Most of us would much rather have seen FTTC now than wait possibly two years for another system that may give us faster speeds but will undoubtedly require us to change our ISPs, As usual there was no consultation on this we just have to deal with it.
Standard User lagrian
(newbie) Tue 27-Oct-15 10:43:33
Print Post

[re: gigtek] [link to this post]

I agree, my next door neighbour can get fibre, I can see the pole that provides it, its a shorter run to my house from that pole. Cabinet 6 is central to the village and most of the properties on it as far as I can tell are right near the exchange. its very frustrating and not needed in my opinion to get Gigaclear to deliver this. It wouldn't have anything to do with the few commercial properties on this cabinet would it? I truly don't understand the situation
Standard User olicuk
(newbie) Tue 27-Oct-15 13:28:48
Print Post

Presumably Gigaclear have the option (at their cost - and unlike the Openreach partnered programmes, it looks like Gigaclear are putting in a far higher percentage of their own money anyway) of covering more properties if they choose, which may have already been given FTTC? Looking at some maps of the Woolhampton exchange, cab 6 in particular looks like it has tentacles far and wide, much more than just Woolhampton village; and for example cabinet 1 and 8 cover close areas at Aldermaston Wharf, one provided with FTTC under SFBerks, the other not. Presumably Gigaclear wouldn't selectively avoid properties with FTTC coverage if passing to connect those that don't?

---------
Help get superfast broadband to Everest Park: fibre.everestpark.org.uk
Standard User ccxo
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 28-Oct-15 01:18:04
Print Post

[re: olicuk] [link to this post]

Gigaclear are the major investor into phase 2 for West Berks, £16 million compared to just over £3.7 million for public funding.

If phase 2 had gone to BT, then more FTTC would have been deployed to the remaining cabinets, their would have been network re-arrangement and new pcp's installed but their would be a lower % coverage then with gigaclear- ie 95% instead of 99% superfast.

The 4% is quite a few thousand homes, so while pcp 6 was not enabled it would have only benefited those in Woolhmapton, yet they are close enough to the exchange to get good adsl speeds.

Gigaclear will target the areas that have no coverage and where FTTC enabled speeds do not meet the superfast target. Now their network will likely pass by areas with good FTTC speeds, so if they use their own funding they could offer FTTP- but they cannot use any public funding to overbuild where public funding has been used in phase 1.

Overall phase 1 only had funding to enable cabinets and do a small amount of network rearrangement ie new cab for exchange only lines. It was basically the most coverage for the least cost- yet their are still large villages that are not covered but yet phase 2 public funding is more then what was available for phase 1.

Orange BB 5856/448
Pages in this thread: << 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | [20] | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to