General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: << 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | [26] | 27 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User ccxo
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 13-Jul-16 22:41:44
Print Post

Re: West Berks Gigaclear

[re: lagrian] [link to this post]

If your dads postcode and property comes up on the gigaclear site then he will be covered.

http://www.gigaclear.com/postcode-checker/superfastb...

The coverage map that was shown at the event pretty much covered the whole of Cold Ash, with deployment split into 2 phases- they only covered Cold Ash and Long Lane (covers Ashmore Green and most of Fishers Lane) that runs from August 16 to November 16 and the second phase Curridge which covers north Cold Ash and parts of Buckleberry alley is October 16 to Jan 17.

The postcode data for long lane area will be added next week.

Each area is about 3 months deployment for Gigaclears sub-contractors and the fiber is coming from the east where they have already deployed.

Orange BB 5856/448

Edited by ccxo (Wed 13-Jul-16 22:45:58)

Standard User lagrian
(newbie) Wed 20-Jul-16 16:25:15
Print Post

[re: ccxo] [link to this post]

Thanks for this, I have since caught up with my Dad and he did attend the event too and his postcode is now covered. He's part of the Curridge deployment and had a flyer through the door etc now

One thing I was trying to establish is how much notice can we expect t to aid a smooth transition from our current ISP's.

They have supposedly began in Woolhampton but I have seen no evidence as of yet.
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 20-Jul-16 18:23:47
Print Post

One thing I was trying to establish is how much notice can we expect t to aid a smooth transition from our current ISP's.

That move won't be like switching between Openreach supplied services.

So for a truly seamless transfer, I would suggest you order as and when you can from Gigaclear, and when it's in and working, THEN cease the previous service.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Michael_Chare
(experienced) Wed 20-Jul-16 19:03:05
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

To find out when you are likely to go live it is best to speak to the local Gigaclear project manager, or establish email communication. You need to decide who will install the cable from the pot on the boundary to the router. This can be Boxcom, DIY or anyone else you can find to do the work. It may be best to get the pot sited where you don't have to do a 'hard dig' to lay the fibre cable to the router.

In reply to a post by Zarjaz:
That move won't be like switching between Openreach supplied services.

So for a truly seamless transfer, I would suggest you order as and when you can from Gigaclear, and when it's in and working, THEN cease the previous service.

Once the broadband has gone, you can then port the phone number to VOIP, perhaps Voipfone. That will cancel the landline.

Michael Chare
Standard User lagrian
(newbie) Thu 21-Jul-16 09:40:14
Print Post

[re: Michael_Chare] [link to this post]

Thanks for the advice everyone.

I am not looking to keep my landline, its only ever been there for the purpose of broadband. So just going to bank the savings by not having one.

For me its trying to minimise duplicate charges so was keen to know the notice we may be given. I suppose I only need to give 30 days or so.

I had a good read of the self install guide and think I will give it a go.

Gigaclear DIY Guide

Looks like the only thing I will lose that I currently have and want is my block of static IP's. Gigaclear would cost too much to justify keeping them.
Standard User lagrian
(newbie) Thu 21-Jul-16 13:01:14
Print Post

I've just had a response back from Gigaclear and Woolhampton has a schedule of until July 17 now. Hopefully March 17. Well that is a significant delay.
Standard User gigtek
(newbie) Tue 20-Sep-16 20:07:43
Print Post

Drove back along The Ridge at Cold Ash yesterday afternoon and the Gigaclear trench team had finished all the way to the east end of The Ridge. Not sure where they are going next as Burdens Heath in Upper Bucklebury at the other end is on FTTC.
Standard User ccxo
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 21-Sep-16 22:58:38
Print Post

[re: gigtek] [link to this post]

They will go to Buckleberry and the Chapel row area in 2017, areas where FTTC has been deployed by phase 1 are being covered- as not all properties will reach the projects superfast target, so their is a portion of overbuild.

Orange BB 5856/448
Standard User gigtek
(newbie) Wed 26-Oct-16 11:57:38
Print Post

[re: ccxo] [link to this post]

Just got the letter from Gigaclear about disruption on the roads. I hope this means they are about to start the work. However, dissapointied that the start date on the Gigaclear site just keeps moving on a month as you get close to the end of the previous month. Wish they'd just put an accurate start date up. So far start date has slipped from July 16 to November 16

Edited by gigtek (Wed 26-Oct-16 11:59:17)

Standard User Michael_Chare
(experienced) Wed 26-Oct-16 20:02:55
Print Post

[re: gigtek] [link to this post]

Roadworks.org maybe some help. Much depends on how close the work is to where you want to be connected. Once the cables are laid they then have to be joined up. If there is a local Gigaclear presentation you might find the project engineer who could tell you his proposed cable route - if that matters to you. I was connected about 13 months after the first road works which were for the back haul cable.

Michael Chare
Pages in this thread: << 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | [26] | 27 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to