General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: << 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | [27] | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User gigtek
(newbie) Wed 26-Oct-16 21:06:36
Print Post

Re: West Berks Gigaclear

[re: Michael_Chare] [link to this post]

Thanks, roadworks.org is useful but as I suspected the only works scheduled for Gigaclear is Cold Ash untill the 23 Nov so expect a change of start date to December about then. Very frustrating as my special price BT broadband is about to run out and they'll no doubt want another 12 months contract.
Standard User Ivy
(newbie) Sat 29-Oct-16 20:31:40
Print Post

[re: gigtek] [link to this post]

If you change the timescale on roadworks.org from the default, you can see physical dig plans for several months into the future. For instance, increasing it from 23 Nov to 31 Jan shows all the digs planned for Curridge, Woolhampton and other Gigaclear community areas beyond the Cold Ash activity.

We Want Superfast Berkshire
Standard User ccxo
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 11-Nov-16 18:55:56
Print Post

The presentations to the various villages have just been with the head of sales- no engineer.

The 3-4 month delay is not to bad considering the scale of the project- most connections are going live in just a few months- the first ones in Cold Ash are due to be live this month according to their online checker.

Project is now pushing north either side of the A34 and then east- though i doubt they will cover all that area by Jan-February.

Orange BB 5856/448

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Michael_Chare
(experienced) Fri 11-Nov-16 19:57:02
Print Post

[re: ccxo] [link to this post]

Where I live, there was a demonstration at a local school which was one of the earlier places to be connected. You could take your laptop and try it out. There were quite a number of Gigaclear staff present, as well a Vonage. That was the first time I met the project engineer. I had an interest in where the cables would be laid near my house.

You may wish to influence where the pot is located on the boundary of your property.

Michael Chare
Standard User ccxo
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 19-Nov-16 16:35:03
Print Post

The meetings are just a sales pitch before any work begins in the parish- once work has begun its possible to talk to the project engineer for the area- cards are dropped with his/her number i believe.

As for the placement of the pot- their is some movement- though so far its just been outside the property line off the road.

Orange BB 5856/448
Standard User gigtek
(newbie) Thu 07-Dec-17 20:07:36
Print Post

Well here we are 12 months later and still no connection. We have had our POTS in since the beginning of July but no connection. Many of the villages around us that already have FTTC have had their POTS installed and connections made since our POTS were put in. Nobody seems to be able to give us any idea as to what is going on. I can't believe that Gigaclear can afford to pay for the infrastructure and then lose all that potential revenue while they struggle to convince people already on FTTC to change. Perhaps someone monitoring this can get to the bottom of what is going on.
Standard User ccxo
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 09-Dec-17 16:48:03
Print Post

Hi gigaclears progress does seem to have slowed, possibly down to the amount of additional contracts they are taking on. Alot of the work in west berks is back to Q2 2018.

West Berks council have a map up now which shows individual properties and which phase they where enabled or are planned to be. Sadly it doesnt have speed data next to the properties, as a few phase 1 will be too far from the cabinet.

http://www.superfastberkshire.org.uk/index.aspx?arti...

Looking at the map for Woolhampton it shows some house clusters done but alot of the village still to finish. Gigaclears Berkshire site has Woolhampton under construction and build completed by February 2018.

Gigaclear do seem to be struggling for customers, as when it first when live in my village it was the full construction costs. I have seen a few houses take it but recent marketing material has been offering the 3 out of the 4 construction costs for free.

Orange BB 5856/448
Standard User gigtek
(newbie) Thu 14-Dec-17 22:04:20
Print Post

Thanks for the update, however frustrating it may be. We are in Midgham and struggling with a 1.5 BT connection at least most of Woolhampton achieves better than 8 on ADSL. Looking at roadworks.org it appears that the villages that are on poor ADSL connections where Gigaclear could achieve better penetration have been put back to the middle of next year. I am in a cul de sac of 6 houses where 4 have signed up already. If someone at Gigaclear would only give us an honest answer it would help. I have been paying BT on a month by month basis for the last 18 months costing me an additional £200 compared to signing up for an 18 month contract had I known.
Standard User gigtek
(newbie) Thu 14-Jun-18 12:22:11
Print Post

Another update, now 12 months since our POTS were put in and still no connection. Meanwhile all the villages around are now connected. Even tried writing an old fashioned letter to Matthew Hare and got no reply. Why can't someone just be honest with us and tell us what is going on. By my reckoning they could have had as much as £20,000 revenue if we had been connected when the POTS were installed. Surely no growing company can afford to ignore that.
Pages in this thread: << 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | [27] | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to