General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Fri 13-Dec-13 23:29:19
Print Post

Re: Superfast Berkshire 2

[re: ccxo] [link to this post]

I have just checked one area where I have friends living and I have provided assistance and support (to them and others) in getting some form of broadband. One of the maps suggests they are already getting 2Mbps - actually in most cases sync is down at 500kbps and often less.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User ccxo
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 14-Dec-13 03:14:21
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

Their will be inaccuracys with the maps as they are based on postcode data, how much time and money do you spend on mapping.

The project has limited funds and its trying to cover as many people as possible, their will be a % not covered as in all counties, they will either be covered by the remaining goverment funding pot or 4G etc.

Orange BB 5856/448
Standard User muttley69
(newbie) Mon 30-Dec-13 17:56:32
Print Post

Any ideas what has happened to Burghfield if "all works are complete"? Has been "coming soon" for the last 4 months. Is currently showing "December 2013", but this date has been moved every month since September....

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ccxo
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 30-Dec-13 18:43:51
Print Post

[re: muttley69] [link to this post]

Not sure on the delay as its been a while since i enquired about Burghfield but i would expct it to go live between January-March 2014.

You can email Openreach on the below address, do include a telephone number and address for one of the cabs being enabled- reply time is about 3 weeks.

nga.enquiries@openreach.co.uk

Orange BB 5856/448
Standard User muttley69
(newbie) Mon 13-Jan-14 09:37:07
Print Post

Haha good guess - date now changed to March 2014.

Out of interest, how do they get their estimates so completely wrong? The initial date was June 2013 I believe.
Standard User muttley69
(newbie) Mon 13-Jan-14 14:31:40
Print Post

Wish I'd never asked now - does this mean we'll never see fibre, even though we're only approx. 350m from the exchange? Burghfield Common is listed FTTC/FTTP & FoD (Coming Soon) on the Openreach website...

Thank you for your enquiry about fibre broadband, You are connected directly to the exchange and not via a telephony cabinet located in the street, This is referred to as an E/O line.
Our deployment is based on the commercial criteria for each exchange and in turn, how broadband is delivered from the exchange. Unfortunately, as your line is fed directly from the exchange it fails to meet the commercial criteria. This is because the solution to deploy Fibre Broadband to lines connected this way would not provide a return on the investment based on the costs for the construction and on-going running costs.
We do not currently have any plans to upgrade E/O lines at this exchange, you can register your interest for upgrade via the following link http://www.openreachfibrebroadband.co.uk/expression-...
Please note, the telephony network over which fibre broadband is bespoke, as such, all premise are served from dedicated distribution points which are connected via their own underground duct network either directly to the exchange or to telephony cabinets. There are no interconnections that can be utilised to give fibre broadband services between E/O lines and cabinets, therefore, Iím afraid we technically canít move your service to a cabinet. In addition, it is not Openreach policy to rearrange the network to enable services where they are not currently available, which is what would occur if your service was moved.

If you have any further questions, please ensure you have read the FAQ's on our website, http://www.openreachfibrebroadband.co.uk/faq/ . If your question is answered within the FAQ section, we will not respond to your e-mail.

Regards

Ted Banon
NGA Enquiries
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 13-Jan-14 15:06:45
Print Post

Estimates change because of unknowns like waiting on permission to do roadworks to clear a duct, in install duct for power, and things like how long the power company takes to get power to the cabinet.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 13-Jan-14 15:08:28
Print Post

No plans under the commercial roll-out means, not likely under that arm as that finishes end of Spring 2014.

The criteria can be different for the BDUK process, and NGA do not answer with respect to that side, as the council have input, i.e. they may insist on certain EO areas being enabled to avoid lots of complaints, or just because a councillor is affected.

All down to the cost.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User ccxo
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 14-Jan-14 00:57:33
Print Post

Their are plans for EO only lines in Berkshire but as with the whole project it will come down to if it is financially viable as their is a limited pot.

Most of Burghfield Common is covered by phases 2 (March 2015) and phase 3 (June 2015) estimated dates at current, phases 1 & 2 are currently being surveyed by Openreach to establish likely costs.

I think you may be part of phase 3, if you go to the link below and click on the fibre coverage map you can see what parts are covered by phase 2 and 3 roughly.

http://www.superfastberkshire.org.uk/index.aspx?arti...

Orange BB 5856/448
Standard User ccxo
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 20-Jan-14 00:27:39
Print Post

I have recived a reply from Openreach they are saying late March 2014 for go live date for Burghfield Common though it could slip back to May 2014.

Interestingly their is cable works from the A4 in Reading down the Burghfield/Reading Road in Burghfield Common in the first and third weeks of February on roadworks.org titled 'BDUK CABLE RENEWAL'.

It could explain the delay with a cable needing to be replaced but could be related to further work planned.

Orange BB 5856/448

Edited by ccxo (Mon 20-Jan-14 00:31:32)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to