General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | [7] | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | (show all)   Print Thread
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 28-Aug-14 13:38:34
Print Post

Re: Superfast Berkshire 2

[re: Fumbledore] [link to this post]

The key is to understand the project DOES NOT have a goal of 100% of people getting superfast broadband.

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/news/6582-magic-1-mill...

Shows the various targets and with a 90% goal across the county, then those on long lines on each cabinet will fall in the 10%, and should only get extra help if they fall under the 2 Mbps USC figure.

NOTE: BT Consumer will only sell you Infinity if the estimate is over 15 Mbps, others are happy connect you with a 9Mbps estimate and if this is a lot better than you current service is probably worth going for.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Fumbledore
(newbie) Thu 28-Aug-14 13:55:44
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks Andrew. No good news then. I guess it doesn't help living at the end of a Cul-de-Sac! I do find it hard to believe that there is no technology or maybe more likely 'incentive' to improve our internet. It's not as if I am living in the 'sticks'! I live in a street in the centre of town of at leads 100 houses.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 28-Aug-14 14:09:11
Print Post

Technology is not the problem it is money.

Plenty of people who can be helped for less money probably in the rest of Berkshire so as long as you are able to get 2 Mbps or more then nothing will happen for you.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 28-Aug-14 14:39:14
Print Post

What does this checker say about your FTTC estimates?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 56.6/14.1Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User MCM
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 28-Aug-14 14:40:37
Print Post

I live in a street in the centre of town of at leads 100 houses.
Then there are those of us living in a city of 8 million (London, 2Km from Westminster) who have no access to either cable or FTTC/FTTP and no BDUK funding to help improve our connections.
Standard User Fumbledore
(newbie) Thu 28-Aug-14 15:41:33
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

BTO checker

Featured Products

Downstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Downstream Range(Mbps)

Availability Date

High Low High Low
FTTC Range A (Clean) 8.5 4.8 1.2 0.8 -- Available
FTTC Range B (Impacted) 6.2 3.1 1 0.5 -- Available

WBC ADSL 2+ Up to 3 -- 1.5 to 5.5 Available
WBC ADSL 2+ Annex M Up to 3 Up to 0.5 1.5 to 5.5 Available
ADSL Max Up to 2 -- 1.5 to 4.5 Available
WBC Fixed Rate 1 -- -- Available
Fixed Rate 1 -- -- Available
Other Offerings
Fibre Multicast -- -- -- Available
Copper Multicast -- -- -- Available
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 28-Aug-14 16:51:39
Print Post

OK, BT Retail used to have "Faster broadband with Fibre" for that situation. I expect they still have. It means they can claim higher average speeds for Infinity frown.

Alternatively Plusnet, Aquiss, Xilo and many others would be willing to take you. Though of course you wouldn't get BT Sport for free, or some of the other goodies.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 56.6/14.1Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User WWWombat
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 28-Aug-14 17:35:43
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
Technology is not the problem it is money.

Plenty of people who can be helped for less money probably in the rest of Berkshire so as long as you are able to get 2 Mbps or more then nothing will happen for you.

I'll add a reminder here that there is a second phase to BDUK, where the target (for the UK as a whole) rises to 95%, and more money gets added to the projects. And, while not announced, you also have to figure that there will be a third phase - there are trials funded to give ideas for what phase 3 would look like.

BT is starting to look at technology that will go deeper into the network - which is the kind of solution you (the OP) need - and is likely to see more usage in the second phase (search for FTTRN). However, it is no given that BT will win these contracts, so you might find that altnets get a finger in the pie (as seems to be happening in West Oxfordshire).

Phase 3 would seem likely to comprise wireless umbrella schemes of some format.

You do get into some interesting politics & contracts issues though... as the phase 1 contracts include budgets for the 2Mbps USC; any extra investment through a phase 2 or 3 can interplay with that budget - a reduction that can be re-invested into additional superfast coverage somewhat. I'm not sure whether that means that it gives BT or county councils the upper hand in phase 2 negotiations (which will be going on right now).
Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Thu 28-Aug-14 18:55:22
Print Post

[re: muttley69] [link to this post]

Omers Rise is by no means a 'new housing estate' and it's available there.

Recreation Rd is very close to the exchange, and those there should happily see 20meg broadband.

Standard User ccxo
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 28-Aug-14 21:36:10
Print Post

[re: muttley69] [link to this post]

Cab 4 in Burghfield village was the first live cab, the rest of the pr was held down on playing field next to recreation road.

Orange BB 5856/448

Edited by ccxo (Thu 28-Aug-14 21:49:13)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | [7] | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to