General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Thu 23-Aug-12 12:00:07
Print Post

What's the situation with FTTC/P towns?

[link to this post]

Many had FTTC activated early this year but after searching it seems very few except those who were in trial areas actually the FTTP part done, so when do they plan to finish the upgrades or if it's not happening when will the rest of us get standard FTTC? surely they can't do half a town and ignore the rest?
Standard User Toonshorty
(learned) Thu 23-Aug-12 12:31:52
Print Post

Re: What's the situation with FTTC/P towns?

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

Sounds like FTTP will be looked at for FTTC/P areas after the FTTC rollout is complete.

So you're really looking at 2014 onwards sadly and in most cases they have just installed FTTC everywhere anyway so other than a few EO lines where they might look at FTTP it'll mainly be supplied by FTTP-On-Demand.
Standard User bgriffiths
(member) Thu 23-Aug-12 13:18:38
Print Post

Ours is a rural exchange - 2 villages due to get FTTC have gone live, 1 FTTP (served from another exchange) keeps getting knocked back. First it was unsatisfactory work by contractors, now "technical difficulties". Currently no estimated service date, but we see contractor's vans around occasionally.

My Broadband Speed Test

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Thu 23-Aug-12 15:24:45
Print Post

[re: Toonshorty] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Toonshorty:
Sounds like FTTP will be looked at for FTTC/P areas after the FTTC rollout is complete.

So you're really looking at 2014 onwards sadly and in most cases they have just installed FTTC everywhere anyway so other than a few EO lines where they might look at FTTP it'll mainly be supplied by FTTP-On-Demand.

I hope we won't be waiting that long, i could live with 6 months to a years delay after FTTC has been installed but to go beyond that is pathetic and unfair, if it was a small area or difficult spots they could perhaps justify some delay but we're talking about half the town getting FTTC while the other half waits with no idea whats going on, either give us FTTP or finish the rollout of FTTC, anything else is unacceptable.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Thu 23-Aug-12 23:39:48
Print Post

Milton Keynes has had a 2+ year delay on FTTP areas.

We've now discovered that BT have opted to install FTTC instead with some small pockets of FTTP. We're still trying to understand the extent of the FTTP footprint but the original intention was 20,000 properties. 10,000 are already live as part of the FTTP trial and a further 10,000 where anticipated but have never materialised.

I think this situation will be repeated across the country and many areas who were anticipating FTTP will be disappointed.

Regards,

Gareth
Standard User bgriffiths
(member) Fri 24-Aug-12 21:50:01
Print Post

I don't think we will be in that position (ie getting FTTC instead), although I wouldn't mind as I am only a few hundred metres from the cabinet. They have already dug a hole next to the pole outside my house, rummaged around in it, filled it in, and there is now a blue "tow-rope" thing sticking out and tied round the pole. Same thing with some of the other poles around the village.

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User bgriffiths
(member) Fri 14-Sep-12 14:55:57
Print Post

[re: bgriffiths] [link to this post]

Latest update: the contractors have laid the "wrong sort of cable". On the plus side there were vans all over the village presumably putting things right, and I can even see one or two poles with the fibre all the way to the top, but not mine; now they've all gone away again frown

My Broadband Speed Test
  Print Thread

Jump to