General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User FoxyStoat
(newbie) Sun 26-Aug-12 22:23:53
Print Post

Cable in Batley (MYBAT Exchange)

[link to this post]

Hi,

The street I live on in Batley, West Yorkshire has had one of those green boxes (Empty) on it for no joke, about 15 years:
You can see here: http://goo.gl/maps/whvNci
Each house has a black triangle shaped point outside of it too which says CAB on it.

It seems whoever installed the cable box obviously intended for the street to have cable at some point but we've never had it, MYBAT information says cable is enabled at the exchange but FTTC isn't.

Can anyone figure out what's going on? When should we be able to get cable?

Edited by FoxyStoat (Sun 26-Aug-12 22:28:56)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 26-Aug-12 22:28:31
Print Post

Re: Cable in Batley (MYBAT Exchange)

[re: FoxyStoat] [link to this post]

On maps.thinkbroadband.com if you zoom in and enable the Virgin Media layer, how close is it to you?

15 years ago may have been a company that went bust, and thus the network was nothing to do with NTL or telewest.

FTTC will not use any of this infrastructure

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User FoxyStoat
(newbie) Sun 26-Aug-12 22:30:35
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
On maps.thinkbroadband.com if you zoom in and enable the Virgin Media layer, how close is it to you?

15 years ago may have been a company that went bust, and thus the network was nothing to do with NTL or telewest.

FTTC will not use any of this infrastructure

http://maps.thinkbroadband.com/#!lat=53.716955148963...

Pretty close but there's a railway that seperates where the dots end and where my street starts.

By the looks of it, we could be waiting some time frown

Edit:

Is there any way of finding out if they're ever going to install it on my street?

Edited by FoxyStoat (Sun 26-Aug-12 22:41:35)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 26-Aug-12 22:42:43
Print Post

Virgin Media at best only grow their network by 100,000 homes a year, so not much movement, so I'd say never from them, unless you can get 100+ homes to guarantee signing up and still convince them to look things.

If the ducts and cabinet are not theirs, things would be even harder

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User FoxyStoat
(newbie) Sun 26-Aug-12 22:46:42
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Edit:

I've just had a look on the open reach website and my exchange says

"No current Rollout plans" Dopes that mean ever? in the next 12 months?

I've been reading that government targets are to get 90% of the population at a speed of at least 24Mb by 2015, which to me sounds as though 90% will be covered by cable, is this correct?

Do you have any idea how I can find out who installed the green box and the pipes? I think it was NTL off the top of my head but I can't be sure, if it were It would mean Virgin owned them? but like you said, There aren't even 100 houses on this street so I doubt they'd bet 100 subscribers.

Edited by FoxyStoat (Sun 26-Aug-12 23:35:59)

Standard User Ribble
(committed) Mon 27-Aug-12 09:56:25
Print Post

The current FTTC plan runs to end of 2014 so if is ever going to come to your exchange then likely to be after that, although more exchanges are still being added to the program.
Cable is <50% of households and is unlikely to ever increase much more than that.
The 90% is likely to be mostly FTTC , with some FTTP and wireless/4G/LTE.
Try contacting Virgin and see what they say, if anything.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 27-Aug-12 10:02:56
Print Post

No current does not mean that Openreach have announced all of their own commercial roll-out footprint yet.

In theory councils have been informed of this, since Openreach had to declare its plans to avoid gov money being used to duplicate commercial rollout. Some councils publish good maps, so you can get an idea, others do no map, or one so small it is no use.

The BDUK projects may be BT or may be Fujitsu, and no actual deployment has started yet.

Print Thread

Jump to