General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User R0NSKI
(committed) Sun 26-Aug-12 23:05:48
Print Post

Can someone check my logs please?

[link to this post]

I had FTTC enabled on the 20th August, but had a couple of times where it's ground to a halt and tonight I rebooted both the modem and the router (DGND3700), the previous time I think I just rebooted the router.

Rebooting the modem seems to require a reboot of the router, IIRC I've rebooted the modem, once tonight and once Thursday night when I changed the power supply, otherwise I've left it on - don't wish to upset the DSlam

I was playing Crysis 2 until about 20:50 tonight and all was well, came back about 22:00, shortly after pages started timing out, looking in the modem I still appeared to be connected ok, but the FEC errors had shot up.

I was still able to send a simple email to my phone from my PC as a test, but I had to turn wireless off on my phone for it to receive (via cell data), so it seems data was able to get through but not enough to browse the web. All my PC's are hard wired with Gigabit Ethernet, only the phones/tablets use wireless.

Here's my ping graph

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ping/share/6fc05c25c20...

and link to the last 24 hour log graphs

http://s672.photobucket.com/albums/vv87/Ronskiman/Co...

I've also uploaded 7 day log graphs

http://s672.photobucket.com/albums/vv87/Ronskiman/Co...

And I was slightly disappointed to only get about 50 meg, BT estimate was 57 so was hoping for more, I'm about 450 meters from the cabinet.

Standard User VictorMeldrew
(learned) Mon 27-Aug-12 00:00:48
Print Post

Re: Can someone check my logs please?

[re: R0NSKI] [link to this post]

seriously smile

Standard User VictorMeldrew
(learned) Mon 27-Aug-12 00:02:19
Print Post

[re: VictorMeldrew] [link to this post]

I jest, for all your help to others, BT should offer you fttp as std

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User R0NSKI
(committed) Mon 27-Aug-12 01:05:34
Print Post

[re: VictorMeldrew] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by VictorMeldrew:
seriously smile

LOL, well I did feel a bit awkward saying I was a bit disappointed, but I suppose after six months waiting (from when the cab appeared), with most getting higher than estimated it did feel a bit of a let down.

But I'm glad to have what I do, the vast majority have far less.

Edited by R0NSKI (Mon 27-Aug-12 01:12:35)

Standard User R0NSKI
(committed) Wed 29-Aug-12 10:13:32
Print Post

Anybody any thoughts on my log files please?

See first post.

Edited by R0NSKI (Wed 29-Aug-12 10:23:17)

Standard User StephenTodd
(member) Wed 29-Aug-12 10:45:50
Print Post

Looks like some form of intermittent noise. Alas, often difficult to trace.

Check your internal wiring. I had slightly similar issues because the FTTC installer left an extension wired off a junction box before the master socket. Slightly bad as noise inducer even when the extension was not in use, really bad once a telephone plugged in.

Do a quiet line test: plug an analog phone into the mast socket and Dial 17070, press option 2 (quiet line test).

Otherwise, I guess you need to contact your isp and get tests done.

Good luck; intermittent noise can be a real pain.

--
Moved (with trepidation) to BT Infinity 2 for upload speed. Happy BE user for several years.
Standard User R0NSKI
(committed) Wed 29-Aug-12 13:30:14
Print Post

[re: StephenTodd] [link to this post]

Thanks for your reply, I will try the quiet line test and I'll check all wiring in case there's a bad connection.

The phone wiring is straightforward, I had about 2 meters of cat5e running from the master socket to my server room. When BT installed FTTC I got them to move the master to the server room, he jelly crimped the in comming wires to the cat5e and fitted the master socket in the server room, all extensions run from there, and only use two wires - no ring wire, even though it's on the filtered side of things.

He did use my original faceplate filter, which is not a BT one but this shouldn't make any difference as it was sold as FTTC compatible.

Print Thread

Jump to