General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User iand
(experienced) Fri 31-Aug-12 18:34:13
Print Post

FTTC test socket

[link to this post]

I do not have FTTC yet, just waiting for my exchange/cabinet to be enabled... For those with FTTC is there the same test socket available that you can use to verify your internal house wiring is not haveing any effect to the VDSL signal?

IanD
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 31-Aug-12 18:35:45
Print Post

Re: FTTC test socket

[re: iand] [link to this post]

yeap

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 31-Aug-12 18:43:43
Print Post

[re: iand] [link to this post]

Yes.

The VDSL2 faceplate is interstitial, see the pic on this page. The phone line at the bottom is plugged into the pre-existing faceplate. (That is filtered by the VDSL section, so in theory unless that fails your wiring is isolated).

The general belief, including that of (I think all) the long-standing OR engineers here, is that there is no real difference between the filtering in the VDSL2 faceplate, any ADSLx faceplate, or an ADSLx dangly filter. It seems to have been introduced (to replace the BT ADSL filtered one)purely to speed up the installation process, as it just needs inserting in the same way as the iPlate, without the extension wiring needing to be transferred.

So, if desired, just remove the whole lot and use the test socket as before, with or without a dangly.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Connection - Plusnet Extra Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 56.0/13.9Mbps @ 600m.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 31-Aug-12 18:45:45
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Why use one word when 137 will do?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Connection - Plusnet Extra Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 56.0/13.9Mbps @ 600m.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Fri 31-Aug-12 19:39:18
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

We have been told the vdsl supports higher speeds however i have not seen issues with the adsl plate, infact early briefings showed the adsl plate. I personally believe it is used for future self install and somehow redesigned to be cheaper ( though the gubbins inside look almost identical). I personally change out the adsl for vdsl plate purely to make things easier for tech support over the phone - keep things standard so everyone knows what they are dealing with. One benefit over the old adsl plate is the krone a b connectors for neat data extensions.
- telecom engineer
Standard User JamesS88
(newbie) Fri 31-Aug-12 22:26:12
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Anonymous:
One benefit over the old adsl plate is the krone a b connectors for neat data extensions.
- telecom engineer

I'd suspect that could be the reason? Part of the install (perhaps extra cost option, perhaps included, accounts differ) is putting the VDSL port somewhere other than next to the NTE5 - rather like the old Highway installs, where the NTE9 could be put somewhere else and connected back to make the NTE5 an extension of analogue line 1. No A+B connectors, no easy way to do that: you'd only have the filtered connectors available.

(At least, I seem to remember Solwise noting the addition of A+B connectors on their ADLS splitter faceplates being a change from the BT models they're based on.)
  Print Thread

Jump to