General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User xela
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 31-Aug-12 18:38:56
Print Post

Confused by cabinets

[link to this post]

http://fttc-check.alc.im/results.php?postcode=YO310AA

Phase 6b - Part of deployment

What does that mean!? crazy my exchange is enabled for FTTC but all the checkers say that I can't have it.
Standard User Toonshorty
(learned) Fri 31-Aug-12 18:43:20
Print Post

Re: Confused by cabinets

[re: xela] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by xela:
http://fttc-check.alc.im/results.php?postcode=YO310AA

Phase 6b - Part of deployment

What does that mean!? crazy my exchange is enabled for FTTC but all the checkers say that I can't have it.

Ah.

You are extremely unlucky or very lucky, depending on how you look at it.

Your postcode is marked for FTTP which doesn't involve cabinets. It's a direct fibre service with speeds of 330Mb/s rather than the 'Up to 80Mb/s' speeds with FTTC.

FTTP is a much better service than FTTC. Unfortunately it's also harder to roll out and so for now BT are focusing on FTTC rather than FTTP. You'll get your FTTP service eventually but I would say BT haven't installed FTTP yet.

There are several cases where BT have installed FTTC in a FTTC/P area and left the FTTP zones for now.

Your best bet is to contact Openreach enquiries and complaints and see if they can give you any clues on to when you might have FTTP installed.
Standard User xela
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 31-Aug-12 18:50:12
Print Post

[re: Toonshorty] [link to this post]

Ta for that comprehensive explanation! Do you have the details for BT openreach?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Toonshorty
(learned) Fri 31-Aug-12 18:54:20
Print Post

I'll PM it to you to save BT the spam wink

They usually respond in a few days unfortunately as it's Friday it may take a little longer.
Standard User xela
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 02-Sep-12 17:28:25
Print Post

[re: Toonshorty] [link to this post]

Thanks again smile

Dear XXXXXXX,

Melrosegate exchange is having a mix of fibre technology delivered. Namely FTTC and FTTP.
Your address is due to get FTTP, however, due to its more complex build it take longer to install the infrastructure than FTTC.
We have planned the job and will shortly be starting to build the underground infra-structure. We are hoping that you will be able to order fibre to the home broadband in around a years' time.
I appreciate it is frustrating having to wait that long, however, as stated it is a complex network to build.

Regards
XXXXXXXXXXX
Network Investment Customer Engagement
Standard User R0NSKI
(committed) Sun 02-Sep-12 18:28:05
Print Post

Well, it will be an annoying wait but it will be worth it in the long run.

FTTP is far more future proof than FTTC, I only get about 50meg on an upto 80 meg connection, with FTTP you order 100 and thats what you get smile

Standard User tempest3k
(newbie) Wed 26-Sep-12 20:05:49
Print Post

Hi Xela,

Just curious if you are in the same area as me (I'm fed from Cab 28 on Heworth Green). I've mailed Openreach and this is their response:

Thank you for your Fibre Broadband enquiry you are connected to Cabinet 28,

Openreach are rolling out Fibre Broadband access to 66% of the UK by the end of November 2014, this is a complex long term project and we are still planning where the final geographical coverage will be.
I am afraid that we cannot advise if your Cabinet will be enabled at this stage, we do however update our micro-site every quarter with our latest deployment plan.
The Micro-Site can be viewed using the following link:
http://www.openreach-communications.co.uk/superfast/...
Please continue to monitor our Micro Site which will keep you up to date with our latest deployment news for your exchange, the site also contains FAQs.

Would be nice to confirm if they intend to FTTP this area as none of the local cabs have had anything done frown
Standard User xela
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 26-Sep-12 22:47:02
Print Post

[re: tempest3k] [link to this post]

I'm on Heworth Road so can't be far away.

FTTP is probably worth waiting for because the ADSL2+ speeds aren't terrible in this area.
Standard User tempest3k
(newbie) Mon 01-Oct-12 18:32:51
Print Post

I finally received this more detailed reply today:

Apologies for my colleague in not giving yourself a comprehensive reply.

'You are in an FTTP enabled area, however, we are are still in the early stages of deployment. We have started to install the spine fibre cable from the exchange, however, we still need to install the fibres from the splitting points to the fibre distribution points and then install the fibre tubing to the manifolds, (you'll see these appearing near the 'copper' DP's/poles.
Unfortunately, at this time I cannot give you a deployment date.

Regards
xxxxxx
Network Investment Customer Engagement'

As York has been declared a MBORC area due to the floods, I suspect we won't see this completed within the next 12-24 frown

Edited by tempest3k (Mon 01-Oct-12 18:34:40)

Standard User carnbeejohn
(newbie) Sun 07-Oct-12 00:04:58
Print Post

[re: tempest3k] [link to this post]

i have been trying to find the email address for openreach to ask about cabinets near me. I wonder if you could let me have the contact details? I will be very obliged as it is a bit of a thankless task trying to get any detail on fibre from my provider TT
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to