General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User zedbong
(regular) Tue 04-Sep-12 23:35:05
Print Post

FTTP

[link to this post]

The status of my cab is shown as FTTP phase 10b, what does it mean please?

My understanding from googling is :

1. Phase 10b is September 2013 or later.

2. FTTP = fibre direct to the premises/house.

Is that correct?

So I have two further questions.

1. Is FTTP a customer selectable alternative to FTTC or don't I have any choice? ie can I chose either when the time comes? (I would think FTTP is always preferable, unless there is a cost difference).

2. Will I get change at FTTC before Sept 2013 or what?

Cheers in advance.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 04-Sep-12 23:45:50
Print Post

Re: FTTP

[re: zedbong] [link to this post]

You don't get a choice between FTTC and FTTP. Your cabinet doesn't in fact get upgraded, but is just labelled as FTTP to designate the lines connected to it.

FTTC involves a second cabinet being installed close to, and connected to, the existing one. That second cabinet merges the fibre feed from the exchange onto the copper feed from the exchange to the original cabinet and on to the premises. See my fuller explanation.

During next year there will be a new product, "Fibre on Demand". That will allow people on FTTC enabled cabinets to get a direct fibre feed, (so FTTP), from that cabinet's fibre partner. It is expected to have a rather high installation cost.

In your case it's irrelevant as your cabinet will not have a fibre partner.

You will only get a move to FTTP if you upgrade your package with your ISP, or migrate to another ISP on theirs. See my earlier link.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Connection - Plusnet Extra Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 56.0/13.9Mbps @ 600m.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User zedbong
(regular) Wed 05-Sep-12 00:35:04
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Do they run individual fibre strands all the way back from the customer to the exchange, or do they multiplex them in some way - maybe further up at some aggregation point?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 05-Sep-12 00:43:12
Print Post

The nearest I know to an answer to that is
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/guide/fibre-broadband....

There was a much more detailed description with a super layout diagram, on an ISP site, but it seems to have been removed. That sort of removal is usually at Openreach's request.

Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Connection - Plusnet Extra Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 56.0/13.9Mbps @ 600m.

Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User mr_mojo
(knowledge is power) Wed 05-Sep-12 01:05:51
Print Post

No, it's not point to point. It's GPON AFIAK, which is generally shared between 16-32 properties. After that god knows on the IP side what happens to contention.

It's all really irrelevant though -- you'll have far bigger problems trying to find a server/application that can saturate a 330mbit/sec internet link. A 4k TV in every room watching video on demand might do it, but thats a way off from mainstream.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 05-Sep-12 09:35:35
Print Post

GEA FTTP from openreach carries same install costs as FTTC, and same price points for 40 and 80 Meg speeds.

It does offer faster 100 Meg and 300 Meg price points, with intermidiate price points for different upstream speeds. So can cost more if you want the much faster speeds.

Advantage of FTTP at 80 Meg, is you will get that connection speed, whereas with FTTC you might get 42 or you might get 72 depending on amount of copper.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User zedbong
(regular) Wed 05-Sep-12 11:18:27
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks for all who replied, I think I have a better understanding smile

Interestingly, BT openreach van has been here twice this week and looks as if they're installing lengths of black cable in the under street ducting - no idea what it is.

Oh one final question - can BT run the FTTP via overhead cables via the normal telephone pole or do they have to dig up the pavement and your driveway?
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 05-Sep-12 11:36:14
Print Post

In reply to a post by zedbong:
Oh one final question - can BT run the FTTP via overhead cables via the normal telephone pole or do they have to dig up the pavement and your driveway?
They often do run it up the pole and across to you that way. I don't know if they always do or not, when there are poles. There's a pic around - I need to load it onto my page of pictures.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 05-Sep-12 12:10:45
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

http://www.coolwebhome.co.uk/overhead-fibre.jpg - and that is my picture.

Overhead FTTP with tube heading to two properties, along with phone lines too. Two live customers on that pole. The final tube and fibre is not done until you actually order the service.

I need to blog all those pictures with some extra words.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 05-Sep-12 12:28:07
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
I need to blog all those pictures with some extra words.
Would you like a proof-reader tongue ?

For example, in the above quote. There was only one picture in your link, and that cannot be given extra words, as it has none. It can only be given words.

[note to self]Be very well behaved for a couple of days[/note]

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to