General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Wed 05-Sep-12 12:33:45
Print Post

Cabinet Question

[link to this post]

Hello,

Like most people in broadband not spots I was quite excited to hear that FTTC was coming to our area (Tewkesbury) in September since then it has since been pushed back to December however there has been some recent action with roadworks on behalf of Openreach digging up the local area.

After checking my postcode nothing regarding FTTC was shown so I asked a friend to check his and it states a RFS date of December with an estimated speed. Both cabinets in question are at opposite sides of a main road; mine being P32 and his being P13.

My question is would both cabinets need to be upgraded or would they push people on P32 to P13?

For reference my postcode is GL20 8QR.
Standard User Andrue
(knowledge is power) Wed 05-Sep-12 12:53:42
Print Post

Re: Cabinet Question

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Anonymous:
My question is would both cabinets need to be upgraded or would they push people on P32 to P13?
I don't think they'd do that if the distance is significant but only BT would know for sure.
Unfortunately there is a third option - BT could just ignore the users on P32. Perhaps your cabinet is in a conservation area. Perhaps you just don't have enough users. Unfortunately it's very common for cabinets to be excluded from a roll-out. Usually it's remote cabinets such as those in satellite villages but the point is that BT don't seem interested in covering off every cabinet on an exchange. They go for the low hanging fruit then - sometimes - come back and do the rest. That happened in Basingstoke.

---
Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK

Just because he could. RIP.

Edited by Andrue (Wed 05-Sep-12 12:54:31)

Standard User MrFied
(newbie) Thu 31-Jan-13 09:46:14
Print Post

Hello Anonymous,

Its been rather a long while since you posed your question, so you may well not see my reply, but just in case...

I'm also in Tewkesbury (closer to the centre) and my cabinet has also not been enabled for fibre. However, I was able to get a little more information by emailing OpenReach using the nga.enquiries email address. Although they originally told me that my cabinet was "not commercially viable" I received a later response saying it had been reviewed and will hopefully go live around the middle of the year.

If they haven't already enabled you for FTTC, it may be worth emailing to see what they say.

Cheers.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User electro
(regular) Tue 26-Feb-13 21:08:47
Print Post

[re: MrFied] [link to this post]

Same gutted situation as me - in the middle of a housing estate, surrounded by FTTC enabled premises, yet my cabinet is excluded because it only serves 5 streets.

Yet FTTC cabs crop up all over the town centre, giving people who could already get 24meg services even faster connections, absolutely fantastic....!
Standard User killzusall
(newbie) Fri 29-Mar-13 23:32:04
Print Post

Did you find out any info about P32 (that's the one I'm connected to too, as i'm in next road from you), ash road has got it now so was a bit miffed we can't get it. You mentioned about the cabinets location, where abouts is it?
Standard User datafreak
(learned) Thu 16-May-13 15:53:29
Print Post

[re: killzusall] [link to this post]

Hi,

P32 should be enabled soon, the cabinet was put in last week. Western power distribution was there yesterday connecting power (at a guess). More ducting was being placed today.

Roadworks.org shows the following:

Works Start: 08 May
End: 21 May

Location : (PCP32) (NGA RELATED WORKS) SIDE OF 37 NORTHWAY LANE ON KINGSTON ROAD
Description : Install 17m of 1 way power duct in Footway,Install 19m of 1 way poly duct in Footway,Performing an 1excavation to expose existing power cable in Footway,Provide 1 Cabinet and base (NGA cabinets)

This is the ducting work I seen this morning:

Works Start: 16 May
End: 20 May

Description : Build 1 precast chamber in 915mm x 445mm x 965mm deep in Footway,Install 21m of 1 way poly duct in Verge,Install 2m of 1 way poly duct in Footway.

Edited by datafreak (Thu 16-May-13 16:21:24)

Print Thread

Jump to