General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Xplosion
(regular) Wed 05-Sep-12 13:54:13
Print Post

Downham Market - Y U No FTTC?

[link to this post]

Our town exchange EADNM serves about 6.5 thousand properties and we don't even have WBC yet, let alone FTTC. It's ridiculous, a nearby exchange (EASWO) with less properties to provide to has had FTTC for over a month and we're still wondering when we'll actually be given WBC (a fluctuative RFS date).

So how can the people of my town push BT to give us a solid RFS date for FTTC? (and WBC, if anyone really wants that!)

Who is the best person to complain to? Should we just make petitions and protests? Could we get a fund going?

What do we do?

Sky Broadband Unlimited
Standard User ccxo
(experienced) Wed 05-Sep-12 14:41:31
Print Post

Re: Downham Market - Y U No FTTC?

[re: Xplosion] [link to this post]

The Openreach rollout is a commerical deployment so they will chose the areas to rollout the service to, their may still be a few more exchange announcements.

Looking at your area their are very few exchanges with FTTC enabled and the reason why South Wootton is enabled is it is next to King's Lynn which has a holding date of December 2012 for going live.

THETFORD is a nearby exchange that is live but the exchanges outside are not planned.

Other nearby exchanges that are planned are WISBECH, MARCH, ELY all with end of 2013 go live dates.

Looking at the whole area its a very rural area to roll services out to and its likely that Openreach will bid on the BDUK project for Norfolk and then rollout to the rural exchanges with the goverment/public funding- work most likely to start in early-mid 2013 once the contact has been awarded.

Norfolk will make the decsion between Openreach and Fijitsu on the 10th of September

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/news/5400-norfolk-to-m...

As for your exchange Downham Market the estimated WBC dates are 01/10/2012 - 31/10/2012, you already have TT and Sky LLU on the exchange, so its a posbbility you may see FTTC before the rollout ends in November 2014 but its likely to be upgraded via the BDUK rollout if Openreach win.

WBC and LLU allows for asdl+2 up to 20Mbps download and 1Mbps upload depending on distance from the exchange, so for those close enough it does provide quite a speed increase, so it does benefit alot of people.

So just wait for the 10th to see who wins and you will see things moving forwards into 2013 for the rollout..

My Broadband Speed Test

Edited by ccxo (Wed 05-Sep-12 14:42:58)

Standard User Xplosion
(member) Fri 31-May-13 09:19:10
Print Post

Update: Downham Market - Y U No FTTC?

We got 21CN WBC in the end which I don't need now anyway 'cos I use TalkTalk LLU.

The best news is EADNM (Downham Market) is Under Evaluation for Superfast fibre broadband!

It is very exciting for me, the prospect of having fibre and it'll be great for gaming etc.

laugh

Edit: how long does evaluation generally take?

TalkTalk Plus TV

Edited by Xplosion (Fri 31-May-13 09:19:37)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ccxo
(experienced) Sun 02-Jun-13 17:38:15
Print Post

Re: Update: Downham Market - Y U No FTTC?

The link below is to the Norfolk BDUK site- their will be 7 phases of the rollout, you will have to wait till they publish which areas will be part of the 7 phases.

http://www.betterbroadbandnorfolk.co.uk/where-when.aspx

Orange BB 5856/448
Standard User Xplosion
(member) Fri 30-Aug-13 15:53:45
Print Post

Over this week, markings have been appearing on pavements around the town. Yesterday, I spotted an engineer painting markings next to my current cabinet. I've had a look and one part there is a cabinet-shaped white box outline (amongst other jumble which I assume is to do with cabling).

I have a few questions for those who have kept a close eye on the fibre roll-out in their own towns/areas.

1. These markings are definitely to do with fibre cabinets, right?
2. If so, how long after the markings are drawn are the cabinets installed?
3. Me being impatient again - how long do you reckon until I can order fibre from this point?

Thanks.

TalkTalk Plus TV

Edited by Xplosion (Fri 30-Aug-13 15:55:04)

Standard User Ignitionnet
(knowledge is power) Fri 30-Aug-13 16:39:58
Print Post

1) Yes.
2) How long's a piece of string?
3) See 2).
Standard User Xplosion
(member) Fri 30-Aug-13 16:42:34
Print Post

[re: Ignitionnet] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Ignitionnet:
1) Yes.
2) How long's a piece of string?
3) See 2).
1) Thanks.
2) Fair enough
3) See 2 tongue

Thanks for confirming that it's to do with fibre.

What have other peoples' experiences been of time scales? (I know they'll be different for me but I just like to enquire, I have way too much free time).

TalkTalk Plus TV
Standard User Ignitionnet
(knowledge is power) Fri 30-Aug-13 16:48:39
Print Post

The markings are the planning of the cabinet, from there in my experience it will be a further 5 months before construction is complete and the cabinet is ready to go.

Obviously if there are any issues that complicate the construction this timescale can be stretched out a fair bit.
Standard User R0NSKI
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 30-Aug-13 22:42:46
Print Post

If this is the start of FTTC in your town then it will be at least 5 months, but probably a lot longer.

Our cabinets started appearing around February last year, and started going live June/July (2012) time, but there are still some not yet installed, and one installed last year is still not live over a year later.

You've just got to be patient and wait, and wait, and wait then if you're lucky you'll get FTTC smile

Standard User Xplosion
(member) Thu 26-Sep-13 18:22:49
Print Post

Saw some contractors on another estate this morning, they had a massive drum of cable. I am pretty certain they are laying the fibre cable.

Should be only 5 or 6 months to go now!

TalkTalk Plus TV
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to