General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User jchamier
(knowledge is power) Thu 06-Sep-12 19:36:04
Print Post

Wiring question for FTTC / VDSL ?

[link to this post]

Hi all,

I'm due to have Infinity installed the week after next, and I started wondering about my home wiring. Picture links below by the numbers.

When I moved in (over 10 years ago) my employer at the time paid for a BT engineer installed ADSL service, which used the USB modem. So the installing engineer looked at my master socket by the front door [1], and moved it to my office by running a cable under the hallway carpet and through the wall [2]

He then installed the NTE5 and ADSLv1 front plate to the other side of this wall in my office [3]. The extension to the kitchen that I've never used [4] was kept by installing a double socket at the front door and using this as a junction box I believe.

When I have the FTTC/VDSL engineer - should I ask them to change this? The kitchen extension needs to go.

I was wondering if removing the link to the office and returning the NTE5 to the front door would give me the best speeds ? I can then have the OR modem and the HH3 situated here, and run my own Ethernet cabling under the floor and through the hole (I'd have to terminate it myself).

Thoughts appreciated.

[1] = http://i612.photobucket.com/albums/tt201/MisterReder...
[2] = http://i612.photobucket.com/albums/tt201/MisterReder...
[3] = http://i612.photobucket.com/albums/tt201/MisterReder...
[4] = http://i612.photobucket.com/albums/tt201/MisterReder...

James be* pro (16.8/1.2) - Sky lied - BE disconnect 16th - BT infinity 19th Sept
13 years of broadband - ntl:cablemodem/BTbusiness/metronet/bulldog/BE/BT infinity
BQM
Standard User kasg
(experienced) Thu 06-Sep-12 19:41:22
Print Post

Re: Wiring question for FTTC / VDSL ?

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by jchamier:
I can then have the OR modem and the HH3 situated here, and run my own Ethernet cabling under the floor and through the hole (I'd have to terminate it myself).

If you're going to do that, no need to keep the HH3 with the modem, just run one Ethernet cable under the floor to connect the two.

Kevin

plusnet Extra Fibre (80/20)
Using OpenDNS
Standard User jchamier
(knowledge is power) Thu 06-Sep-12 19:55:19
Print Post

[re: kasg] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by kasg:
If you're going to do that, no need to keep the HH3 with the modem, just run one Ethernet cable under the floor to connect the two.

Good point - yes, I can do that, once I've got the thin enough Cat5. The connectors won't go through the hole but the cable will, so I'll borrow a friends tools.

The downside is the lack of phone socket in my front room for the Sky+HD box, but that I can probably live with since I never use the telephone ordering system and I'm well out of contract. (I can run an extension temporarily around the door if I needed it randomly).

James be* pro (16.8/1.2) - Sky lied - BE disconnect 16th - BT infinity 19th Sept
13 years of broadband - ntl:cablemodem/BTbusiness/metronet/bulldog/BE/BT infinity
BQM

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 06-Sep-12 20:03:44
Print Post

The downside is the lack of phone socket in my front room for the Sky+HD box
Where is that fed from at the moment?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Connection - Plusnet Extra Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 56.0/13.9Mbps @ 600m.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User jchamier
(knowledge is power) Thu 06-Sep-12 20:16:24
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
The downside is the lack of phone socket in my front room for the Sky+HD box
Where is that fed from at the moment?

Currently the Sky+HD box is plugged into the existing NTE5 in photo 3 (the two phone connections, one is the actual phone, one is the sky box).

BQM
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 06-Sep-12 20:25:20
Print Post

So do you intend to replace the existing hall >> office wire, or could you keep it and have the ethernet for the HH3 as well? If you can, he should be willing to swap the two existing sockets, which would give you two in the office instead of one.

By the way. Where's the mains socket to power the modem in the hall?

Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Connection - Plusnet Extra Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 56.0/13.9Mbps @ 600m.

Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User jchamier
(knowledge is power) Thu 06-Sep-12 21:47:53
Print Post

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
So do you intend to replace the existing hall >> office wire, or could you keep it and have the ethernet for the HH3 as well? If you can, he should be willing to swap the two existing sockets, which would give you two in the office instead of one.

Really the question is would I get a more reliable VDSL if I remove the potential risk of the 10 year old under-carpet wire.

The other questions come after that; but to answer yours if the under carpet cable is taken out the loop as far as the VDSL is concerned, then the office socket could be converted to an extension yes. Then I'd have to drill another hole for the cat5 though. (and me with a drill wouldn't be a pretty sight).

By the way. Where's the mains socket to power the modem in the hall?

To the right just out of the picture. One spare socket with a 4 way plugged in (and nothing in it!).

BQM

Edited by jchamier (Thu 06-Sep-12 21:48:08)

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 06-Sep-12 22:16:38
Print Post

If you only want the one wire, (understandable), I'd be thinking of running CAT5 just before the day, and hoping the engineer would use that as a data extension cable, as there have been a few posts here where that has happened.

Master and modem in hall, router in office, and some jiggery-pokery afterwards to use another pair or two in the CAT5 to feed the extension position in the office. Unless you have an extremely cooperative enginer who does it all for you at the time. Assuming you have pre-run the CAT5.

Standard User jchamier
(knowledge is power) Thu 06-Sep-12 22:28:26
Print Post

Basically you're saying the same as I'm thinking, put the master back to where it was originally with Modem and Router in the hallway - and then later use Cat5 cabling to run the data and the phone back into the office.

Sounds like a plan smile

BQM
Standard User R0NSKI
(committed) Fri 07-Sep-12 08:32:00
Print Post

I had my master socket originally in the hall with CAT5e run to my server room with my own sockets installed.

I have a basic Photobucket guide to installing a xDSL extension for a modem away from the master socket

When I had FTTC installed the engineer moved the master socket to my server room using my Cat5e.

Edited by R0NSKI (Fri 07-Sep-12 08:38:48)

Print Thread

Jump to