General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User gaffe77
(newbie) Fri 07-Sep-12 10:00:49
Print Post

Is this an FTTC cabinet?

[link to this post]

My exchange, Hove, has been FTTC enabled for a couple of years, but the expected availability date for my phone line has been retreating at a rate of 3 months per quarter for most of that time. Yes, I know that never happens, but...

To be fair to OR they've had some planning problems as I'm in a Conversation Area.

Recently, a new cabinet turned up nearby. Whoo-hoo! This must be it! But wait, the cab looks like nothing I've seen before (or on RobertoS' cabinets page). The other FTTC cabs I've found have been the large Huaweis.

Roberto's cabinets page

So, can anyone identify this cab? Is it just a PCP upgrade, or is it likely to contain be FTTC?

Nearby cabinet
Standard User Dick_B
(regular) Fri 07-Sep-12 10:09:53
Print Post

Re: Is this an FTTC cabinet?

[re: gaffe77] [link to this post]

Looks a bit similar to some of the cable TV cabs round my way.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 07-Sep-12 10:35:09
Print Post

Lock looks nothing like existing Openreach range.

So non Openreach is my bet, tried seeing where any obvious pavement digging goes. It should link to a power supply, and existing street cab if it is Openreach FTTC

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 07-Sep-12 12:14:01
Print Post

Looks like a VM one to me, though I haven't seen that sort. I'm partly going by the format of the number on it, which is VM style.

If it is, there will be quite a few around that may be similar, or without the vents, all with similar numbers. VM cabs are much closer together than BT PCPs.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Connection - Plusnet Extra Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 56.0/13.9Mbps @ 600m.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User gaffe77
(newbie) Fri 07-Sep-12 16:23:18
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Thanks for your wise counsels, guys. You're right: it's not OR, it is Virgin Media.

I went back for another gander, and if I'd looked *down* when I took the pic, I'd have seen the manhole access cover in front of it, clearly marked "CATV".

So I'm expecting my FTTC availability date (30 09 2012) to experience another spin round the Time Vortex and zip three months into the future any day now.

RobertoS: please feel free to put the pic on your very useful site.
Standard User jchamier
(knowledge is power) Fri 07-Sep-12 17:49:38
Print Post

In reply to a post by gaffe77:
Thanks for your wise counsels, guys. You're right: it's not OR, it is Virgin Media.

Can you say where in the country you are? Might help us locate which former cable company installed it.

VM is actually a collection of 20+ companies, and they all worked in different ways. We have nothing like that here but lots of VM cabinets.

James be* pro (16.8/1.2) - Sky lied - BE disconnect 16th - BT infinity 19th Sept
13 years of broadband - ntl:cablemodem/BTbusiness/metronet/bulldog/BE/BT infinity
BQM
Standard User gaffe77
(newbie) Sat 08-Sep-12 00:55:45
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by jchamier:
Can you say where in the country you are?

I'm in Brighton, the OR CO is in Hove, actually. The pictured VM cab is about 50m from my location.

Original cabling was by NTL some time after 1989, though I can't remember exactly when.

The cabinet pictured really is a new one, they've even remade the concrete footing. There was something there before, but it was green and, I'm pretty sure, smaller. Silver VM cabs seem to be an innovation. I haven't seen any others around yet, but I'm not sure how often they get replaced.

Smaller and much smaller cable cabs are scattered around the streets in about the same shade of green as OR use, though usually even tattier.

Occasionally they're seen with the (imho flimsy) doors hanging off, possibly after an assault by an enraged VM customer who will cry on my shoulder about it in the pub should I unwisely answer any question with "oh, you know, techie stuff". The new one looks like it's up to withstanding someone who's been on hold for two hours before the atrocious music is interrupted by a click-click, followed by the dialling tone.

Edited by gaffe77 (Sat 08-Sep-12 01:10:20)

Standard User ukhardy07
(experienced) Sat 08-Sep-12 02:15:15
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

One of our cabinets literally always had its doors wide open. It was a large cabinet. Virgin have now replaced it with one of these silver ones and I've seen them working on it.
Standard User simon194
(member) Sat 08-Sep-12 12:47:40
Print Post

In reply to a post by gaffe77:
In reply to a post by jchamier:
Can you say where in the country you are?

I'm in Brighton, the OR CO is in Hove, actually. The pictured VM cab is about 50m from my location.

Original cabling was by NTL some time after 1989, though I can't remember exactly when.

I thought Nynex was the original cableco in Brighton. I remember there were a lot of complaints about the locations of some of their cabinets because they were placed right on the edge of the curb.
Standard User partial
(regular) Sat 08-Sep-12 22:25:44
Print Post

I know 'someone' who had the contract for some of the early planning surveys in Hove.

What cab are you on?

Edited by partial (Sat 08-Sep-12 22:26:55)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to