General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User don0301
(learned) Fri 07-Sep-12 13:03:08
Print Post

Government announcement today

[link to this post]

Dept of Culture,Media & Sport has announced today the removal of prior planning for braodband cabinets except in Sites of special scientific interest to councils for the next 5 yrs!

http://www.culture.gov.uk/news/media_releases/9331.aspx

Trying to find out if this is with immediate effect
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 07-Sep-12 13:13:00
Print Post

Re: Government announcement today

[re: don0301] [link to this post]

5.We will legislate immediately following consultation where necessary, and/or use existing powers to ensure that, for the next five years: ...
There will be a stink about Conservation Areas in particular. I imagine legislation will definitely be needed, and may have a difficult time.

So if convenient for them, Openreach and Virgin can lay cable and junction boxes in my garden?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Connection - Plusnet Extra Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 56.0/13.9Mbps @ 600m.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.

Edited by RobertoS (Fri 07-Sep-12 13:15:38)

Standard User don0301
(learned) Fri 07-Sep-12 13:18:00
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Well, as per my other thread about Colchester council

this directly affects me cos the idiot council put a conservation area line right through my estate

I hope this is with immediate effect, waiting to hear from the Govt dept

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Spasch
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 07-Sep-12 13:20:43
Print Post

According to The Register, they are going to have to legislate to make it happen.. 6 months minimum is my guess.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 07-Sep-12 13:27:32
Print Post

[re: Spasch] [link to this post]

Generally a good idea develops early as to whether the law will make it to the statute books, and this is likely to gain cross-party support, though with some MP's having more questions due to constituent concerns.

So I would expect councils (particularly conservative) to perhaps slowly move towards the newer rules, i.e. offer less objections. Since it wastes their own time, if in a few months the firms can still deploy them.

The unknown here, is whether it will help firms deploy their alternate infrastructure cheaper and thus cover more parts of the UK.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 07-Sep-12 14:20:15
Print Post

Answer

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

https://twitter.com/DCMS/status/244062161402466306

"We want to see consultations completed around spring next year and leglislate asap after this time "

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User don0301
(regular) Fri 07-Sep-12 14:23:22
Print Post

Re: Answer

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
https://twitter.com/DCMS/status/244062161402466306

"We want to see consultations completed around spring next year and leglislate asap after this time "

ah, thanks for that

doesnt help my situation then....
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 07-Sep-12 15:20:19
Print Post

No, but would make some objections by council appear to be futile, as in lets engage now, and get a reasonable compromise, or we will just wait another year.

Standard User don0301
(regular) Fri 07-Sep-12 16:20:50
Print Post

had a discussion with a senior guy in the council today, it looks like a solution has been found. its just making sure BT go through with it now

as an aside he didnt believe me when i told him about this announcement, he looked it up as we spoke on phone, he was quite shocked!

He let slip it was all the negative publicity I had stirred up that made them think again about my problem.

Hope it ends well for us anyway

Edited by don0301 (Fri 07-Sep-12 16:26:27)

Standard User jchamier
(knowledge is power) Fri 07-Sep-12 17:48:23
Print Post

In reply to a post by don0301:
He let slip it was all the negative publicity I had stirred up that made them think again about my problem.

Sad he thinks its "your problem" when in less than 10 years lack of high speed broadband would very much be the councils problem when they had nobody paying council tax !

James be* pro (16.8/1.2) - Sky lied - BE disconnect 16th - BT infinity 19th Sept
13 years of broadband - ntl:cablemodem/BTbusiness/metronet/bulldog/BE/BT infinity
BQM
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to