General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Ignitionnet
(knowledge is power) Fri 07-Sep-12 19:02:12
Print Post

Openreach NGA Enquiries Email Misinformation

[link to this post]

All,

Has anyone else received information from Openreach on this email address that seems to be completely wrong?

Trying to work out if I'm the only one.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 07-Sep-12 20:05:59
Print Post

Re: Openreach NGA Enquiries Email Misinformation

[re: Ignitionnet] [link to this post]

Which email address?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Connection - Plusnet Extra Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 56.0/13.9Mbps @ 600m.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
(knowledge is power) Fri 07-Sep-12 20:26:02
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

The NGA Enquiries one.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

(knowledge is power) Tue 11-Sep-12 06:25:50
Print Post

Fact Check Openreach

Just a word to the wise - if Openreach inform that there are problems with your local council do check. They have gotten things completely wrong with me and claimed a non-existent embargo had been put in place by the council.

I checked this with the council who had no idea what Openreach were talking about and informed they had done precisely nothing to prevent NGA rollout beyond refusing some planning applications in conservation areas where they contravened planning policy.

My own cabinet was not in a conservation area and there was no council obstruction to Openreach deploying it per the original schedule of September 2010.

Just to mention the above regarding an 'embargo' apparently comes from the project manager.
Standard User Magicuk27
(newbie) Tue 11-Sep-12 06:57:52
Print Post

ive emailed it twice in the last 4 weeks and not got 1 reply.

BT customer service again.
Standard User Drummeruk
(newbie) Tue 11-Sep-12 10:52:46
Print Post

[re: Magicuk27] [link to this post]

I emailed about why every cabinet in washington seems to be getting done except mine, they were just saying to check the OR website for the latest exchange updates, without cab info on their whats the point in that?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 11-Sep-12 10:55:43
Print Post

Re: Fact Check Openreach

There will have been delays due to Olympic lock downs of course.

Perhaps that has got lost in translation

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Chrysalis
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 11-Sep-12 18:17:27
Print Post

In reply to a post by Ignitionnet:
Just a word to the wise - if Openreach inform that there are problems with your local council do check. They have gotten things completely wrong with me and claimed a non-existent embargo had been put in place by the council.

I checked this with the council who had no idea what Openreach were talking about and informed they had done precisely nothing to prevent NGA rollout beyond refusing some planning applications in conservation areas where they contravened planning policy.

My own cabinet was not in a conservation area and there was no council obstruction to Openreach deploying it per the original schedule of September 2010.

Just to mention the above regarding an 'embargo' apparently comes from the project manager.

you have been delayed 2 years?
Standard User jchamier
(knowledge is power) Tue 11-Sep-12 19:11:12
Print Post

[re: Chrysalis] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Chrysalis:
you have been delayed 2 years?

FWIW openreach just told me they couldn't find a suitable plot for my parents cabinet after being turned down twice by the council, they just deferred. I guess hopefully if the new proposed legislation takes effect they might try again, but my parents are understandably annoyed.

James - be* pro - 16.8 / 1.2 Mbps until 16th Sept - then BT Infinity from 19th Sept - 44.6 / 6.5 Mbps estimated
BQM 13 years of broadband - ntl:(512k/1M)/BTbusiness(2M)/Metronet(2M)/Bulldog(8M/16M)/BE(16M)
(knowledge is power) Tue 11-Sep-12 20:17:50
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
There will have been delays due to Olympic lock downs of course.

Perhaps that has got lost in translation

Beyond that they have built cabinets since then, apparently unbeknownst to them.

I have sent you a mail Andrew.

EDIT: However in summary it comes down to this:

Openreach:

There have been several issues raised between Openreach and your local council.

All work was stopped by the council and this cab was part of that deployment that was stopped.

We are working with the council on a number of cabs that had planning issues in an effort to establish grounds on which to commence deployment again.

Here's the Openreach Project Manager's views.

Yes itís part of the embargo regarding all work to be stopped in LBR . Hopefully we can agree to commence work on existing cabs soon, we are working with them on number of cabs with planning issues and that work is coming to an end soon so a decision will be made as to whether to commence work again.

This was made all the more laughable as a quick look on Streetworks showed construction in progress when this was sent.

Council:

I can only comment on planning matters and particularly those cabinets sited within conservation areas which needed prior approval. The local planning authority has never had an embargo against the cabinets. However, where these needed prior approval, we have considered their siting and design, and if they have not met with policy requirements, these have been refused. Notwithstanding this, where there have been refusals, we have worked with BT to try and resolve matters.

This cabinet wasn't in a conservation area, no prior approval was required. The embargo for the Olympics was brief outside of those areas on the cycle route.

Perhaps this frames things better.

Edited by Ignitionnet (Tue 11-Sep-12 20:28:06)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to