General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User boxst
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 08-Sep-12 15:02:56
Print Post

Does location of cabinet effect speed?

[link to this post]

Openreach are finally enabling my local cabinet but much to my surprise it seems as though they are going to place the fibre cabinet across the road. Having just run the fibre, they now dug a trench across the road and marked out where the cabinet will go.

Does this effect speed? Most of the other fibre cabinets I've seen are within a few feet of the old one ...
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 08-Sep-12 15:04:55
Print Post

Re: Does location of cabinet effect speed?

[re: boxst] [link to this post]

yes, every metre counts with VDSL2.

They is usually a good reason if the two cabinets are more than 5 to 10m apart.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User kasg
(experienced) Sat 08-Sep-12 16:11:08
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
yes, every metre counts with VDSL2.

True, but if it doesn't take the total distance to the cab over 100-200m it isn't likely to make any difference in practice.

Kevin

plusnet Extra Fibre (80/20)
Using OpenDNS
Domains and web hosting with TSOHOST

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Sat 08-Sep-12 18:21:46
Print Post

[re: boxst] [link to this post]

There will be a sensible reason why the DSLAM cab is over the road, most likely ease of access to a power supply. The trench across the road will be for the copper tails between the cab and the DSLAM. This is usually no more than 50m from the cab, and a distance of over 80m would be seriously frowned upon.

Standard User boxst
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 08-Sep-12 19:14:29
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

The sensible reason is that the fence appears to have grown 'round' the current cabinet as you can see here: http://maps.google.com/maps?q=tn61az&hl=en&ll=51.054...

Across the road is only 5 or so meters.
Standard User jchamier
(knowledge is power) Sat 08-Sep-12 19:51:23
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Zarjaz:
There will be a sensible reason why the DSLAM cab is over the road, most likely ease of access to a power supply. The trench across the road will be for the copper tails between the cab and the DSLAM. This is usually no more than 50m from the cab, and a distance of over 80m would be seriously frowned upon.

My PCP is on the left (number 5) and has been re-shelled since this picture. The DSLAM cabinet is situated on the right of the picture between the two trees, just where the yellow lines stop.

http://goo.gl/maps/bV40E

James - be* pro - 16.8 / 1.2 Mbps until 16th Sept - then BT Infinity from 19th Sept - 44.6 / 6.5 Mbps estimated
BQM 13 years of broadband - ntl:(512k/1M)/BTbusiness(2M)/Metronet(2M)/Bulldog(8M/16M)/BE(16M)
Standard User VictorMeldrew
(learned) Sat 08-Sep-12 22:13:00
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Is there an actual acceptable distance from PCP > DSLAM ?

pretty sure my newly installed DLSAM is around 34meters from PCP, it has been istalled around the corner in a completely different street lol

At 34 meters from PCP to DSLAM what would be the actual affect on speed?

Edited by VictorMeldrew (Sat 08-Sep-12 22:13:34)

Standard User simon194
(member) Sat 08-Sep-12 22:35:00
Print Post

[re: VictorMeldrew] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by VictorMeldrew:
Is there an actual acceptable distance from PCP > DSLAM ?

pretty sure my newly installed DLSAM is around 34meters from PCP, it has been istalled around the corner in a completely different street lol

At 34 meters from PCP to DSLAM what would be the actual affect on speed?

That sort of distance, depending on how direct the tie-ins run between the PCP and the fibre cabinet, would add a minimum of 68 metres to the line length which would affect the speed by between about 5 and 20 Mbps depending on how long the line to the cabinet is (based on figures published on TBB back in April).
Standard User VictorMeldrew
(learned) Sat 08-Sep-12 22:49:42
Print Post

[re: simon194] [link to this post]

Thanks for reply,

I am on longish line as well to PCP, my estimated speed for my line back in June was 30meg, I guess may not get as much now when cab does go live.

Standard User DrTeeth
(knowledge is power) Sat 08-Sep-12 23:16:10
Print Post

[re: VictorMeldrew] [link to this post]

Do not assume that you will be connected to your closest cabinet. I am connected to my second closest frown.

DrT

Stress - the condition brought about by having to resist the temptation to beat the living daylights out of someone who richly deserves it.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to