General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User noon
(regular) Sun 09-Sep-12 22:11:47
Print Post

Superfast Broadband in Blewbury?

[link to this post]

Hi

I'm helping out my father-in law who lives in Blewbury. As I understand it, they were one of the winners of the "Race to Infinity", and so now have FTTC. But how to take advantage of it?

When I go to the BT website and type in his phone number it says "Sorry, you're not currently able to get BT Infinity. This may be because your area has not been enabled yet, or your individual line does not support super-fast broadband. Register your interest and we'll let you know if this changes."

How can this be? Can anyone shed any light? Thanks for any help.

Nick
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 09-Sep-12 22:18:49
Print Post

Re: Superfast Broadband in Blewbury?

[re: noon] [link to this post]

Because the Race To Infinity carefully did not promise 100% of homes would have it in the exchange area, and it may be your father-in-laws cabinet has not been enabled, or its an exchange only line, that will need work at a later date to enable superfast.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User noon
(regular) Mon 10-Sep-12 09:20:53
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks Andrew.

Reading more widely, I gather there are a good few others (not all in Blewbury) who are similarly disappointed.

Is there anyone he can contact (at BT?) who can tell him definitively "why not"?

Thanks again

Nick

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 10-Sep-12 10:28:04
Print Post

Try

nga.enquiries@openreach.co.uk

from http://www.superfast-openreach.co.uk/faq/

You'll get an answer about commercial viability, or planning issues. Put more simply, the standard 1.4m cabinets serve 288 FTTC lines, thus need 500+ phone lines to be viable. Smaller 96 and 128 line cabinets are possible too, reducing numbers needed to hit economics.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User ccxo
(experienced) Mon 10-Sep-12 16:05:08
Print Post

Their has been alot of work in Blewbury as the village has a mixture of FTTC and FTTP- the 4 FTTC cabs where completed back in July- FTTP work continues.

This is taken from the Blewbury website

http://www.blewbury.co.uk/news.htm#news5

The last of our four new Fibre to the Cabinet (FTTC) installations went live in the last week of July, which means that everyone who was earmarked for this ‘flavour’ of superfast broadband can now upgrade to a new service as and when they wish. For those of us waiting for the other flavour – Fibre to the Premises (FTTP) – it’s still not clear when this will become available, or how we’ll find out when it does. While there’s clearly lots of work going on at street level to make it happen, none of the online broadband checkers seems to be aware of it. As soon as we get any word, we’ll let people know via the Infinity mailing list; if you’re not on that and would like to be, just email me at mail.tst@btinternet.com. It’s bcc’d, so no one’s address is visible to anyone else. Chris Whatmore

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User noon
(regular) Mon 10-Sep-12 23:17:00
Print Post

[re: ccxo] [link to this post]

This is very useful, thank you. Sounds like we should be contacting Chris Whatmore to find out who is "earmarked" to receive what flavour.

Nick
  Print Thread

Jump to