General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Darkprincze
(newbie) Sun 16-Sep-12 04:38:58
Print Post

BT Infinity Existing Customer upgrade paradox

[link to this post]

Ok, so I am an existing BT Infinity customer. After a recent invitation to renew my contract for no extra cost while doubling my speed I decided to do a little research. I am currently on the unlimited package. Originally when this was installed the engineer checked the download speed. It was just shy of 40Mb/s. That was 2 years ago. It has since decreased to about 15Mb/s.

I guess my issue is, I don't think I should need to renew my contract to receive the same speeds new or recent customers are receiving. (the extent of BTs efforts are revealed in the small print - your broadband may be off for a maximum of 2 minutes while we implement the upgrade). Also, a good start before considering an "upgrade" would be receiving the service and speed I am already supposed to.

Anyone else have issues / ideas on this?
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sun 16-Sep-12 07:10:24
Print Post

Re: BT Infinity Existing Customer upgrade paradox

[re: Darkprincze] [link to this post]

I had this, so called, upgrade. The figures that BT quote seem not to take into account the physical distance from your cabinet. In my case I was quoted, on line, for 60mB download. After three engineer visits, it transpired that with the signal getting to the cabinet at 70mB it would be unlilkely in the extreme for me to get 60mB at my modem, because of the distance. In practice, the download remained the same at around 38mB but the upload speed doubled to 12mB - which for me made the whole palaver worth it. I'm afraid this is BT offering something attractive up front whilst in the small print pointing out that, actually, you won't get it!
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 16-Sep-12 17:31:39
Print Post

[re: Darkprincze] [link to this post]

Ignoring the upgrade question, have you tried to get anything done about what appears to be a serious problem? Which could of course be within your own premises and under your control, but otherwise probably indicates a developing line fault.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Connection - Plusnet Extra Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 56.0/13.9Mbps @ 600m.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 16-Sep-12 18:55:07
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

If modem is connected at under 40 Meg then download speeds will not change with the upgrade

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User DrTeeth
(knowledge is power) Sun 16-Sep-12 20:34:20
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
If modem is connected at under 40 Meg then download speeds will not change with the upgrade

I connected at 40 (38717 profile), got the upgrade and connected at 57 then DLM kicked in and I dropped back to 40. After the upgrade 5GB more off peak and £5 less per month - no speed benefit up or down.

DrT

Stress - the condition brought about by having to resist the temptation to beat the living daylights out of someone who richly deserves it.

Edited by DrTeeth (Sun 16-Sep-12 20:35:41)

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sun 16-Sep-12 20:38:02
Print Post

[re: DrTeeth] [link to this post]

Didn't your upload go from 10 to 20?

_____________________________________________________________________________________________ this is not usenet __________________
Standard User DrTeeth
(knowledge is power) Sun 16-Sep-12 22:14:36
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by BatBoy:
Didn't your upload go from 10 to 20?

My profile did, but no change in the actual speed.
I have just run a speed test and the result is here http://www.mediafire.com/?ps1btd1b9cplttp

DrT

Stress - the condition brought about by having to resist the temptation to beat the living daylights out of someone who richly deserves it.
Standard User elevator
(regular) Sun 16-Sep-12 23:11:07
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

I was connecting at about 32meg following upgrade now 70 meg.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 16-Sep-12 23:20:24
Print Post

[re: elevator] [link to this post]

I was connecting at the full 40Mbps, now 56Mbps.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Connection - Plusnet Extra Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 56.0/13.9Mbps @ 600m.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
  Print Thread

Jump to