General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Bobby_Valentino
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 19-Sep-12 11:55:36
Print Post

Ending incontract question

[link to this post]

Hi

Does anyone know if there is a new system in place that changes the way an ISP calculate the disconnection fee for a fibre line that it charges to its customers or is just the normal monthly allowance times the remaining months left on the contract?

TIA.

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User kasg
(experienced) Wed 19-Sep-12 12:00:40
Print Post

Re: Ending incontract question

[re: Bobby_Valentino] [link to this post]

That depends entirely on the ISP, there is no one way of doing it.

Kevin

plusnet Extra Fibre (80/20)
Using OpenDNS
Domains and web hosting with TSOHOST
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Wed 19-Sep-12 12:54:10
Print Post

OFCOM did a ruling on this, something about charging their costs rather than the rest of the contract value.

http://www.which.co.uk/news/2010/06/bt-talktalk-and-...

--

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Spasch
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 19-Sep-12 12:55:06
Print Post

Mostly it's up to the ISP, but AFAIK, they have to sign a 12 month contract with Openreach, so more than likely you'll be charged for the remainder of the contract.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 19-Sep-12 16:20:26
Print Post

[re: Spasch] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Spasch:
Mostly it's up to the ISP, but AFAIK, they have to sign a 12 month contract with Openreach, so more than likely you'll be charged for the remainder of the contract.
I was told by Plusnet, during the signup phone conversation for their 40/2 £16.49pm product, (just broadband - phone line stayed with BT), that the charge for early termination was £4pm for the outstanding months of the 18-month term. Plus in their case having to pay for the "free" router if I left within 12 months of signup.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Connection - Plusnet Extra Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 56.0/13.9Mbps @ 600m.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User Spasch
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 19-Sep-12 22:11:54
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
I was told by Plusnet, during the signup phone conversation for their 40/2 £16.49pm product, (just broadband - phone line stayed with BT), that the charge for early termination was £4pm for the outstanding months of the 18-month term. Plus in their case having to pay for the "free" router if I left within 12 months of signup.
I was charged the balance when I terminated (house move) as I was told they (the ISP) had a 12 month contract with Openreach. (admittedly a business contract).
  Print Thread

Jump to