General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Bobby_Valentino
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 19-Sep-12 12:45:00
Print Post

Downgrading to 2mbps from 10mbps question

[link to this post]

Hi

Im currently on a 40mbps down and 10mbps up product, but iv noticed that im wasting £5 for the up to 10mbps speeds, if I asked my ISP to reduce me down to 2mbps, would they simply throttle the service or would they ask BT to regrade me down to a 2mbps service? (The reason I ask this is becuase in the future, if I ever wanted to go back up to a 10mbps speed I dont want to be paying extra just for increasing my speeds.)

TIA.

My Broadband Speed Test
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 19-Sep-12 12:51:32
Print Post

Re: Downgrading to 2mbps from 10mbps question

[re: Bobby_Valentino] [link to this post]

The ISP charges less because they pay less for you to be on the 40/2 so would require a product change.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Bobby_Valentino
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 19-Sep-12 13:00:32
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
The ISP charges less because they pay less for you to be on the 40/2 so would require a product change.

When you say a product change, would they simply throttle the speeds back to 2mbps or ask BT to change me to a 2mbps upload circuit?

My Broadband Speed Test

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Wed 19-Sep-12 13:01:43
Print Post

to save money they will have to regrade to a slower Openreach product. The config will change to limit your upstream connection speed.

--

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Standard User Kr1s69
(knowledge is power) Wed 19-Sep-12 13:48:54
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Isn't the price difference between 10 and 2Mbps upload about 30p though?

If they have the setup to throttle down to 2Mbit then they might as well just do that, there isn't a huge saving to be had.

Kris

Sky Fibre Unlimited
Ashington (Northumberland) Exchange
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 19-Sep-12 15:10:10
Print Post

[re: Kr1s69] [link to this post]

£6 a year at Openreach level, the £5 may be because ISP adds a mark up, or does other bits different, e.g. less harsh traffic management too

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 19-Sep-12 17:14:04
Print Post

Which ISP is it?

What's the relevance of your sig by the way?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Connection - Plusnet Extra Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 56.0/13.9Mbps @ 600m.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User Bald_Eagle1
(committed) Wed 19-Sep-12 18:34:45
Print Post

FWIW, my experiments with my ISP (Plusnet) appear to prove beyond any doubt that a connection that is unable to achieve the full fat 40Mb DS sync speed will benefit DS speed-wise by using the up to 2Mb US package rather than up to 10MB US package.

On my own connection, it makes up to 5Mb difference to my DS sync speed (from 33Mb down to 28Mb when increasing US speed from up to 2Mb (achievable) to up to 10Mb (only around 4.5Mb achievable).

I want the slightly increased US speed so have accepted that I will lose some DS speed as a consequence.

I experimented with this months ago, before Plusnet automatically applied the up to 10Mb US speed for all its users.
  Print Thread

Jump to