General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User huwwatkins
(member) Thu 20-Sep-12 13:24:01
Print Post

Sky, Talk Talk or BT for FTTC?

[link to this post]

Hi
Im moving to a FTTC area in the next few weeks and need to sort out a new provider. The house is around 320m from the cabinet. The Infinity checker gives a 57meg estimate but I think thats a little on the low side?

Which provider would be the best? I currently have a talktalk llu connection through a re-seller and am very happy with it so I am tempted to go with them, however I am also a sky tv customer so if they are equally as good then it might work out cheaper to go with them?

What do you recommend?

Thanks

Huw
Standard User kasg
(experienced) Thu 20-Sep-12 14:10:00
Print Post

Re: Sky, Talk Talk or BT for FTTC?

[re: huwwatkins] [link to this post]

Well I'd recommend Plusnet, but I'm possibly biased because I already have it. It depends on your requirements wrt speed, monthly allowance and traffic management (which has almost been eliminated on Plusnet now).

http://www.plus.net/fibre-broadband/

Already being a Sky customer might make a significant difference though.

Kevin

plusnet Extra Fibre (80/20)
Using OpenDNS
Domains and web hosting with TSOHOST

Edited by kasg (Thu 20-Sep-12 14:11:11)

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Thu 20-Sep-12 14:14:36
Print Post

[re: kasg] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by kasg:
Well I'd recommend Plusnet, but I'm possibly biased because I already have it. It depends on your requirements wrt speed, monthly allowance and traffic management (which has almost been eliminated on Plusnet now).

http://www.plus.net/fibre-broadband/
There's nothing in that link that indicates traffic management has almost been eliminated.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________ this is not usenet __________________

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User kasg
(experienced) Thu 20-Sep-12 14:22:21
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by BatBoy:
There's nothing in that link that indicates traffic management has almost been eliminated.

But it has, as has been posted several times on the Plusnet forum - there is a 2Mbps limit on P2P/Usenet and external FTP between 8-10pm and that is it.

Kevin

Using OpenDNS
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Thu 20-Sep-12 14:51:55
Print Post

Do you have a link to that information on the Plusnet site?

_____________________________________________________________________________________________ this is not usenet __________________
Standard User kasg
(experienced) Thu 20-Sep-12 14:56:13
Print Post

http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/speed_guide/do...

Kevin

Using OpenDNS
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Thu 20-Sep-12 15:01:20
Print Post

This all looks managed to me, rather than almost eliminated http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/speed_guide/tr...

Standard User kasg
(experienced) Thu 20-Sep-12 16:38:39
Print Post

In reply to a post by BatBoy:
This all looks managed to me, rather than almost eliminated http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/speed_guide/tr...

That page is out of date and has not been updated to reflect the current situation - I will raise that elsewhere.

Kevin

Using OpenDNS
Standard User huwwatkins
(member) Thu 20-Sep-12 17:19:39
Print Post

Looks like sky might be out? Even though the area has FTTC and the exchange (luton -smlt)
has sky LLU it wont offer me the fibre option through the number checker.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 20-Sep-12 22:02:19
Print Post

Strictly speaking, it's the download speed capping at various times that has been scrapped on FTTC apart from the 8pm-10pm slot.

As I understand it, trafiic management in the form of time-critical prioritisation remains. e.g.VOIP and one or two other things.

My belief is that this is a benefit of the service, not a disadvantage. A few ms difference when browsing is unnoticeable, but the cumulative effect on the thousands using that every second can be dramatic on the relatively few that need the latency. In particular the Titanium, Gold, Silver etc. system is still in place, though whether or not the details on the website are up to date I don't know.

Given that the widespread belief when BT bought Plusnet was that it was to gain their Ellacoya expertise, I'd be very surprised if BT isn't running something similar.

Then of course, on fibre there is the Openreach traffic-within-user prioritisation system. Who knows which ISPs are or are not using that - completely dependent of course on whether BT Wholesale are.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Connection - Plusnet Extra Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 56.0/13.9Mbps @ 600m.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to