General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User DonalTrainor82
(newbie) Fri 21-Sep-12 16:08:53
Print Post

Just moved home...

[link to this post]

As the title says. In my old property we had Sky FTTC which was around 30 megs.
Moved into the new house a few days ago and called up Sky to find out that I cant get fibre in my area yet, we cant even get our phone line connected up until the 2nd of October! I accepted that we couldnt get fibre right now and done a few checks to figure out why because bt wholesale checker says that the cabinet is planned to have WBC FTTC by the 30th of September.

All I want to know is how long does it take Sky to get on the ball after bt have their kit installed for the fibre.

My postcode is BT30 6WA if that helps.

Regards
Donal.

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 21-Sep-12 16:38:01
Print Post

Re: Just moved home...

[re: DonalTrainor82] [link to this post]

Unfortunately that 30 September dats is highly suspect. Quarter end dates are just holding dates and possibilities. The majority seem to drop back 3 months during the last few days of the last month of the quarter. A few are done in time, and a few soon after - even if the date has gone out 3 months.

Firm dates are usually only present for less than a week before availability.

Sky are a bit of a special case, as they need to have a GEA link installed at the exchange to connect to their LLU DSLAM. At some FTTC exchanges, even though they have LLU there, they don't have this. Have you checked with them they will have FTTC available as soon as Openreach say the exchange is enabled?

You do mean your cabinet, not the exchnage?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Connection - Plusnet Extra Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 56.0/13.9Mbps @ 600m.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
(newbie) Fri 21-Sep-12 19:35:50
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Yea I asked the girl when did they think it would be available and she just said it could be a month 2 months or even longer she really didnt know.

I think that it what I mean, the fibre goes to the cabinet right? There is a normal cabinet at the beginning of the estate with no fttc cabinet beside it, but on down the road a bit you could actually see a fttc cabinet beside the other smaller green telephone one. I thought our fttc would come from it but obviously notfrown

Regards
Donal.

My Broadband Speed Test

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Ignitionnet
(knowledge is power) Fri 21-Sep-12 19:42:02
Print Post

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
Sky are a bit of a special case, as they need to have a GEA link installed at the exchange to connect to their LLU DSLAM. At some FTTC exchanges, even though they have LLU there, they don't have this.

No need to have this at every exchange just the handover points. Some exchanges are children of others, having no L2 switches of their own, and a GEA link is only needed at the parent exchanges.

Perfectly possible that there's the odd case where Sky have no LLU at an exchange but subscribers there are able to order FTTC from them for the above reasons.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 22-Sep-12 11:13:49
Print Post

[re: Ignitionnet] [link to this post]

The GEA link needs to be at whatever exchange the cabinet gets it's fibre link from. I agree the user's PCP-linked exchange can be different. The discussion is irrelevant to the poster in this case.

I'm not sure whether or not you are talking about the Sky LLU topology, but don't quite see what that has to do with it in either case.

Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Connection - Plusnet Extra Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 56.0/13.9Mbps @ 600m.

Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 22-Sep-12 15:19:35
Print Post

[re: Ignitionnet] [link to this post]

Sky with their like for LLU based telephone will only offer FTTC from exchanges where they have their LLU kit for the PSTN side too

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 22-Sep-12 15:33:17
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
Sky with their like for LLU based telephone will only offer FTTC from exchanges where they have their LLU kit for the PSTN side too
Though of course the fibre could still be from a different exchange.

Standard User garbageguy
(regular) Sat 22-Sep-12 21:00:14
Print Post

My exchange (FY5 2SH) isnt due to get FTTC till 30th september , but its been active for a cpl of weeks and showing that I can get it, on the sky site and BT, Plusnet, Talk Talk, so keep looking, it may come early !!

O2 Upto 8mb @

Edited by garbageguy (Sat 22-Sep-12 21:05:54)

Standard User Trobed
(newbie) Sun 23-Sep-12 12:22:47
Print Post

[re: DonalTrainor82] [link to this post]

I can only speak from my own experience but the best resource for you to check is this checker putting it through the postcode and telephone number search.

For me it would always say I could get fibre on the postcode checker but never on the telephone checker until a day or so before my cab went live then it displayed on both. What you are keeping an eye on is the "Your cabinet is planned to have WBC FTTC by 30th September 2012." line to vanish from the result.

Another resource is the TalkTalk checker which seems to pull from a more recent database. Just before going live it switched from a September estimate to October for a couple of weeks before going back to September. I have never really had any luck with theBT Infinity checker but your mileage may vary.

Also bear in mind that there will be a wait from the cab going live to actually getting it installed. My exchange went live 31st July (or there about) and then my cab went live 13th September at about midday (I checked that morning and at lunch and it had been activated between) and my install date is not until 3rd October, three full weeks later.
(newbie) Sun 30-Sep-12 13:09:54
Print Post

Looks like you were right all along my friend it has been put back until the 31st of December on the BT Infinity website, but doesnt say on the Openrach site anything about FTTC. I'm not too bothered to be fair because Sky can give us between 9 and 16.5 apparently, I guess I will know come the 9th of October when its installed, Openreach engineer still needed for new telephone line installation because there was no active telephone line at this housefrown

My Broadband Speed Test
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to