General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User think26872
(committed) Mon 24-Sep-12 19:29:14
Print Post

What settings should I change after unlock HG612?

[link to this post]

After following the instructions to unlock a HG612 what settings should I be changing to ensure the best possible configuration?

Should I be stopping remote updates or enable/disable anything or just simply connect LAN1 to the WAN port on my router?

Thanks
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Mon 24-Sep-12 19:38:52
Print Post

Re: What settings should I change after unlock HG612?

[re: think26872] [link to this post]

I disabled ptm 301 and qos.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________ this is not usenet __________________
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 24-Sep-12 22:30:20
Print Post

[re: think26872] [link to this post]

I changed its IP address to one on my router's subnet, outside the DHCP range of my router. Then connected LAN2 to an ethernet port on my router and now have full access through my browser to its GUI, and telnet access for more detail from a command line window, plus Bald_Eagle1's graphing and logging scripts. (LAN1 obviously to the router WAN port as you say).

I haven't bothered with further tailoring apart from trying to tweak the noise margin. Which failed.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Connection - Plusnet Extra Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 56.0/13.9Mbps @ 600m.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.

Edited by RobertoS (Mon 24-Sep-12 22:31:12)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User jchamier
(knowledge is power) Mon 24-Sep-12 23:15:18
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
I changed its IP address to one on my router's subnet, outside the DHCP range of my router. Then connected LAN2 to an ethernet port on my router and now have full access through my browser to its GUI, and telnet access for more detail from a command line window, plus Bald_Eagle1's graphing and logging scripts. (LAN1 obviously to the router WAN port as you say).

Ditto - but I've not yet set up the graphing scripts.

James BT Infinity 2 - 19/9/2012 - Install-sync: 52/12 - Test: 50/10 - Est: 44.6/6.5 Mbps
13 years of broadband - ntl:(512k/1M)/BTbusiness(2M)/Metronet(2M)/Bulldog(8M/16M)/BE(16M)/BT FTTC(50M)
Standard User kasg
(experienced) Tue 25-Sep-12 10:31:56
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by BatBoy:
I disabled ptm 301 and qos.

Likewise. Disabling QOS appears to add about 1Mbps to the upload speed. I've also done roughly what Bob posted, although in my case I changed the IP address of my router and left the modem as 192.168.1.1.

Kevin

plusnet Extra Fibre (80/20)
Using OpenDNS
Domains and web hosting with TSOHOST
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 25-Sep-12 10:42:45
Print Post

[re: kasg] [link to this post]

It seemed a good idea in my case, as the third triplet on mine isn't "0" or "1". Just a fraction more security perhaps.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Connection - Plusnet Extra Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 56.0/13.9Mbps @ 600m.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User jchamier
(knowledge is power) Tue 25-Sep-12 19:24:18
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
It seemed a good idea in my case, as the third triplet on mine isn't "0" or "1". Just a fraction more security perhaps.

smile I've done this for years; no idea if its real security or security theatre but it confuses people !!

James BT Infinity 2 - 19/9/2012 - Install-sync: 52/12 - Test: 50/10 - Est: 44.6/6.5 Mbps
13 years of broadband - ntl:(512k/1M)/BTbusiness(2M)/Metronet(2M)/Bulldog(8M/16M)/BE(16M)/BT FTTC(50M)
  Print Thread

Jump to