General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User JamesS88
(newbie) Tue 25-Sep-12 14:17:02
Print Post

Home wiring NOT authorised!?

[link to this post]

FTTC install day is here ... along comes a puzzled BT engineer, with a job sheet specifying 'home wiring NOT authorised'. First time he's seen that.

The Entanet end (Vivaciti) tells me the order went in "authorised if required", as always, but that's not what came through to the engineer to install.

(The current NTE5 is in the hallway, inches from where it needs to be for the installation - a few minutes' work, but without the 'home wiring' authorisation, he can't do that.)

Luckily, the engineer had two jobs this afternoon, and has gone to do the second job while we wait and hope something inside BT fixes the order in time to complete this afternoon as planned.
Standard User JamesS88
(newbie) Tue 25-Sep-12 14:59:43
Print Post

Re: Home wiring NOT authorised!?

[re: JamesS88] [link to this post]

Update: Engineer phoned back to say his controller says there's nothing they can do today, the job will have to be cancelled and rescheduled later.

Meanwhile, the other end of BT phoned my ISP to say "it's fine, the engineer will be told the job's authorised after all".
Standard User kasg
(experienced) Tue 25-Sep-12 15:53:20
Print Post

In reply to a post by JamesS88:
(The current NTE5 is in the hallway, inches from where it needs to be for the installation - a few minutes' work, but without the 'home wiring' authorisation, he can't do that.)

Why does it need to "inches" from where it is?

Kevin

plusnet Extra Fibre (80/20)
Using OpenDNS
Domains and web hosting with TSOHOST

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 25-Sep-12 15:56:23
Print Post

[re: kasg] [link to this post]

If it was me I would have let the install happen and fix the problem with slightly longer cables I bought or made myself, rather than risk having to wait for a new appointment, which after the heavy rain this week might be even further away now

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Tue 25-Sep-12 16:00:17
Print Post

FTTC install day is here ... along comes a puzzled BT engineer, with a job sheet specifying 'home wiring NOT authorised'. First time he's seen that.

The Entanet end (Vivaciti) tells me the order went in "authorised if required", as always, but that's not what came through to the engineer to install.
"Authorised if required" is incorrect, it should be "Authorised" - see http://www.openreach.co.uk/orpg/home/updates/briefin...

_____________________________________________________________________________________________ this is not usenet __________________
Standard User jas88
(newbie) Tue 25-Sep-12 16:01:36
Print Post

In reply to a post by kasg:

Why does it need to "inches" from where it is?

Other side of a wall!

Yes, I was tempted to say "go ahead, just install there", but the sole mains socket in the hallway is the far end of the hall, with a radiator in the way too - long term, I'd rather get the socket into the living room where the modem will be.

(Besides, I have a while until the Virgin cable modem is supposed to stop working, so I'm not in that much of a rush.)
Standard User kasg
(experienced) Tue 25-Sep-12 16:11:20
Print Post

[re: jas88] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by jas88:
Other side of a wall!

Ah, you didn't mention the wall, fair enough!

Kevin

plusnet Extra Fibre (80/20)
Using OpenDNS
Domains and web hosting with TSOHOST
Standard User jas88
(newbie) Tue 25-Sep-12 16:14:17
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by BatBoy:

"Authorised if required" is incorrect, it should be "Authorised" - see http://www.openreach.co.uk/orpg/home/updates/briefin...

That makes a lot of sense, thanks BatBoy. Quite why an ISP would want to raise an order of "don't do what our customer wants even if they beg, despite it costing us nothing", I don't know (which would be why my guy had never seen one before) ... does any ISP hate customers that much? Still, I suppose once BT wrote it into the contract that it required ISP authorisation, they have to stick to it until the contract can be updated...
Standard User JamesS88
(newbie) Tue 25-Sep-12 17:59:40
Print Post

In reply to a post by kasg:
In reply to a post by jas88:
Other side of a wall!

Ah, you didn't mention the wall, fair enough!

Yep - it's a matter of inches of wire (there's even an existing extension, it's a case of switching the faceplates and re-punching to change which is the master), I just don't want to be stuck with either the VDSL or the Ethernet wire having to run through a doorway.

The disconnect seems to be between the BT Wholesale ordering and Openreach's. The Wholesale end were assuring the ISP it was authorised, Openreach were insisting it wasn't - presumably an old XML schema being used for the order submission, if the "authorised if needed" option has been removed now.

In the end, BT phoned my ISP back to say "it's OK, the engineer will go back and do the install now" - and phoned the engineer and told him there was nothing they could do today, he should close the ticket and go home. It looks like I'll be rescheduled for either Thursday, or Friday morning, and find out which tomorrow.
Standard User iand
(experienced) Tue 25-Sep-12 18:27:42
Print Post

Up and over mains extension cable. See it all the time in offices, why not the home smile

IanD
Standard User ggremlin
(committed) Tue 25-Sep-12 19:00:45
Print Post

Mr Saffron did highlight this in 'news' a fortnight ago
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/news/5433-reminder-if-...
Standard User JamesS88
(newbie) Tue 25-Sep-12 21:57:30
Print Post

[re: ggremlin] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ggremlin:
Mr Saffron did highlight this in 'news' a fortnight ago
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/news/5433-reminder-if-...

I seem to remember spotting that at the time - the trouble being, the ISP and their end of BT swear they DID order the necessary bit, but somehow that didn't make it as far as the actual job-sheet I saw this afternoon. Was there a change in XML schema to delete the "authorised if required" option, breaking the existing ISP ordering system?

The engineer hadn't read that notice though: his concern was that if he did the extra work it couldn't be billed back to the client, which of course doesn't apply to a no-cost option.

With luck, it should be re-booked for the end of this week anyway, plenty of time in hand before the VM cable modem ends.

I need to get an extension in the spare room where the 2nd Sky STB is going on Friday afternoon, too; I've got some external-rated cat5e and plan to run two bits where the disused Virgin coax is (used to be a Virgin STB up there, already gone) - use one for Ethernet, the other for a PSTN extension. (Overkill of course, I'll have 3 pairs spare on that drop, but just try finding a five pair cat5e/6 cable...)
Standard User JamesS88
(newbie) Thu 27-Sep-12 11:00:02
Print Post

Install re-booked for this afternoon, apparently with a big pile of notes attached to make sure it's done this time.

I checked, and the order said "yes" to "home wiring (if required)" - it's a yes/no field, which the ISP systems always populate with "yes" automatically. BT confirmed that's how the order was placed, but somehow that wasn't transcribed to the job sheet correctly in this case. Their mistake, hence re-scheduling so quickly.

Bizarre both that the order got mangled in the first place, and that Openreach apparently have no mechanism for correcting erroneous jobsheets on the day - or do, but it didn't kick in quickly enough to stop the job being cancelled.
Standard User JamesS88
(newbie) Thu 27-Sep-12 19:39:29
Print Post

Install re-booked for this afternoon, apparently with a big pile of notes attached to make sure it's done this time.

And ... today's missing component was 'engineer (2 of)'. No-show. You'd never guess Openreach has no competition...

(If Openreach can penalise the customer for a no-show, why doesn't that cut both ways? One-sided, that.)
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to