General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User satattak
(regular) Wed 26-Sep-12 11:52:50
Print Post

FTTC Installation Advice

[link to this post]

Hi Iím getting FTTC Fibre installed in October I understand we go back to the old days of having a separate router and modem.

My Dilemma is that I currently have my adsl router nicely tucked away in my office and I run a telephone extension a small distance 1 to 2 metres to the master socket in the hallway. My existing dsl router then plugs into the adsl filter at the end of the extension socket Unfortunately from what I have read with the new fibre we will be introducing an additional fibre modem

I notice from pictures the new fibre openreach modem has both a dsl socket and Ethernet (RJ45) socket - RJ45 connects the internal router to the fibre modem and the dsl connects the fibre modem to the master socket is this correct?

So I guess what Iím saying is a telephone extension cable to my office not suffice to place both the fibre modem and router in my office or must the fibre modem be next to the master socket?

Many thanks in advance
Standard User Ixel
(member) Wed 26-Sep-12 12:04:07
Print Post

Re: FTTC Installation Advice

[re: satattak] [link to this post]

The way you describe the connectivity is correct. However, having a standard telephone extension cable for the modem is not recommended as it will likely reduce your attainable downstream and upstream rates. You should ideally have the modem by your master socket with an ethernet cable from the fibre modem to the router (router can be in your office in that instance).
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 26-Sep-12 12:12:21
Print Post

Best practice is the modem at the master socket, and longer ethernet to the router.

If the extension is just standard telephone wiring, installer will want to replace it with the data extension, which you need to request when ordering service. Data extension is just posh words for a CAT5e cable that will carry the VDSL signal

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User satattak
(regular) Wed 26-Sep-12 12:26:17
Print Post

Hmmm ok guys thanks for the advice Mrs S will not be amused I'll be sticking a modem in the hallway - Incidentaly could the master phone socket be moved to the office? By extending the master wires? The office is literally 1 - 2 metres away from the current master socket
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 26-Sep-12 12:54:49
Print Post

The data extension kit is the way to go, it is free just make sure provider knows you want it when ordering and they book it via their supplier

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User greenglide
(committed) Wed 26-Sep-12 12:56:25
Print Post

In reply to a post by satattak:
Hmmm ok guys thanks for the advice Mrs S will not be amused I'll be sticking a modem in the hallway - Incidentaly could the master phone socket be moved to the office? By extending the master wires? The office is literally 1 - 2 metres away from the current master socket

OpenReach installation will normally do a resite of the NTE5 if required, espacially if there is no power point convenient for the VDSL modem.

Shouldnt be an issue.

BT Infinity 2 - IP profile 77 / 20 - super fast!
Previously BE Unlimited - 21,000 Download 1,200 Upload but then moved house - 6,500 Down, 1Mb/s up - gutted!
Ex <n>ildram , been to SKY MAX - 15,225 Download
Standard User Bill_Lord
(member) Thu 27-Sep-12 11:36:32
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
The data extension kit is the way to go, it is free just make sure provider knows you want it when ordering and they book it via their supplier

Exactly what is the extension kit please. how many of the wires are connected or is it just the pins 4 and 5 that are connected as the old BT adsl extension kits were set up? I am about to order Plusnet Fibre ( just waiting for a MAC number ) and one of the options is to ask for an extension kit. If it is the same as the one that is already fitted I will not bother.

Bill Lord
I've taken a vow of poverty, to annoy me send money
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 27-Sep-12 11:38:41
Print Post

[re: Bill_Lord] [link to this post]

Basically the same as the old ones. VDSL is nothing special just DSL running at even higher frequencies, so same wiring/splitters should be fine

Standard User Bill_Lord
(member) Thu 27-Sep-12 11:42:56
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
Basically the same as the old ones. VDSL is nothing special just DSL running at even higher frequencies, so same wiring/splitters should be fine

Wow that was quick thank you so much that answers all my questions.

Bill Lord
I've taken a vow of poverty, to annoy me send money
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 28-Sep-12 01:54:52
Print Post

[re: Bill_Lord] [link to this post]

Edit - AH I didn't spot the hijack of the thread frown
/edit ****************
I think you are getting in a tangle smile. This post may be useful to the OP though.

The data extension cable when provided is used to provide the VDSL socket up to 30 metres from the master. In effect, the master is moved. Do you need a phone socket where the master is now? Most engineers are able to provide that as well by back-feeding from the new location, usng spare wires within the data extension.

Or in your case there would be the option to install the data extension cable and use the existing extension wire in the opposite direction. Gets a bit bulky though.

The VDSL socket has a built-in filter. The installation looks like the pic on this page, with the modem plugged into the top and the phone into the bottom.

I believe the engineers have been told to wall-mount the modem if possible, to optimise its cooling. Will that be an issue?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Connection - Plusnet Extra Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 56.0/13.9Mbps @ 600m.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.

Edited by RobertoS (Fri 28-Sep-12 01:57:59)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to