General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User baldurk
(newbie) Thu 27-Sep-12 20:57:01
Print Post

Fibre/high-speed alternatives to BT+Virgin

[link to this post]

Maybe not the best place to put this but I'm not sure if there's a more appropriate forum.

I've been waiting patiently for about a year now for my cabinet to get FTTC, but when I saw somewhere that I could email into openreach to find out more specific details than the usual pushed out date, I mailed in to see if they had a more accurate estimate. Unfortunately I got some bad news:

Thank you for your enquiry about fibre broadband.
You are connected to cabinet EM/LONGB 129 (Nottingham).
We have experienced severe difficulties with regards to providing fibre optic cable to this particular cabinet. This is due to blocked and collapsed ductwork.
We have therefore taken the regrettable decision to defer this cabinet out of our current program. We will revisit at a later date but at this point in time, we cannot give a timescale as to when this may occur.
I appreciate it is frustrating but we are deploying Fibre Broadband on a commercial basis and we are not able to provide service to your cabinet at this time due to engineering difficulties..

Which really sucks for me but I can understand that problems will inevitably crop up - I've just gotten unlucky.

However from the phrasing of that email and the few details he gave, I'm now wondering just how long it will be before they do revisit - and if they'll change their minds at that time. I've no idea what the extent of the problem is, it could be prohibitively expensive and delay the fibre basically indefinitely.

So my question is: what are my options now, if any? I don't particularly want to remain stuck on 5-6 down/1 up, and I don't think virgin is ever going to lay cable here - although I can't find any way of determining if they have plans or not.

Am I basically stuck with ADSL2+ unless I find a place where fibre is 100% confirmed and move there, or is there some other unknown option that might appear in the future? Are there any major competitors to those big two companies?
Standard User kasg
(experienced) Thu 27-Sep-12 21:24:36
Print Post

Re: Fibre/high-speed alternatives to BT+Virgin

[re: baldurk] [link to this post]

You might get 4G before FTTC. Potentially faster than ADSL2+

Kevin

plusnet Extra Fibre (80/20)
Using OpenDNS
Domains and web hosting with TSOHOST
Standard User jchamier
(knowledge is power) Thu 27-Sep-12 22:07:35
Print Post

[re: kasg] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by kasg:
You might get 4G before FTTC. Potentially faster than ADSL2+

If the speeds on Verizon LTE in the US are to be believed it depends on the loads in your area - some people are getting 60megabit, others are just getting 9megabit.

At least one reviewer was shown a 4G LTE device on EE's LTE network in London with 25 megabit downloads, and 30 megabit uploads.

James BT Infinity 2 - 19/9/2012 - Install-sync: 52/12 - Test: 50/10 - Est: 44.6/6.5 Mbps
13 years of broadband - ntl:(512k/1M)/BTbusiness(2M)/Metronet(2M)/Bulldog(8M/16M)/BE(16M)/BT FTTC(50M)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 27-Sep-12 22:11:00
Print Post

If you want certainty then move to a house that already has FTTC connected and running.

Otherwise it is pick a date and do you feel lucky, that it will be done in a few months, year or two years.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Richeh
(committed) Sat 29-Sep-12 15:53:46
Print Post

Sorry to intrude on the thread but just out of curiosity my cab was was supposed to be enabled by tomorrow! But nothing has changed. What email address did you use to contact BT?

Cheers.

Back at parents:

Sky Broadband Unlimited:
4mb down 768k up frown

Waiting on fibre...
Standard User kasg
(experienced) Sat 29-Sep-12 16:44:43
Print Post

[re: Richeh] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Richeh:
Sorry to intrude on the thread but just out of curiosity my cab was was supposed to be enabled by tomorrow!

Tomorrow=30-Sep=fairly meaningless quarter-end holding date, sorry!

Kevin

plusnet Extra Fibre (80/20)
Using OpenDNS
Domains and web hosting with TSOHOST
Standard User Richeh
(committed) Sun 30-Sep-12 13:02:48
Print Post

[re: kasg] [link to this post]

I know, hence why I want the BT email just to find out what is going on with my cabinet as the FTTC date has disappeared completely now!

Back at parents:

Sky Broadband Unlimited:
4mb down 768k up frown

Waiting on fibre...
Standard User R0NSKI
(committed) Sun 30-Sep-12 13:57:07
Print Post

[re: Richeh] [link to this post]

You could try the one here, also worth trying the nga.complaints.or.enquiries before the @ as well,

Print Thread

Jump to