General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User robjw
(newbie) Thu 27-Sep-12 21:42:50
Print Post

FTTC: BT say yes, PlusNet say no

[link to this post]

I'm moving in to an apartment in the next few weeks, and trying to work out my options for broadband. I *think* I can get FTTC, but as I don't have a phone number yet, and the apartment is currently unoccupied, I'm going off post code results.

According to the BT wholesale address checker, which takes your exact address (not just post code) I can get FTTC at pretty much full 80/20 speed. The BT retail site also seems to allow me to place an order. However PlusNet claim I'm not in a fibre area. Their live chat weren't much help but did suggest I could call their technical department who might be able to tell when I'll be able to get it.

Now, it sounds like PlusNet might have just made a mistake, but I'm not sure how to tell. According to the various postcode checkers that use the leaked data, there's an 86% chance I'll be served by a FTTC cab, 1% that I'll be on a non FTTC cab, and 11% that it'll be an exchange only line. The postcode is BD17 7EJ if anyone has any further wisdom. I can supply the full address if needed.

The problem I have is that if I can't get FTTC, I don't really want a phone line at all. The apartment is pre-wired with ethernet provided by Ask4, but they can only offer 25Mb down and 2.5Mbit up. So I'd much rather have FTTC, but If I can't get it, I might as well go with Ask4 and not bother getting the BT line connected at all.

If I place an order with say, BT to have the line connected along with one of their FTTC options, does anyone know if I can back out of the whole thing should it become apparent that the FTTC isn't possible? I don't really want to be locked in to an 18 month contract for a landline I don't need!

Thanks for any suggestions.

Rob
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 27-Sep-12 21:47:05
Print Post

Re: FTTC: BT say yes, PlusNet say no

[re: robjw] [link to this post]

Flats are often those with exchange only lines, as they were built after most traditional buildings and wiring run directly to them, as adding another cabinet at the time seemed a waste of money. So the 11% looks a likely result.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Thu 27-Sep-12 22:20:05
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Flats are often those with exchange only lines

What a strange, and uncommonly for you, inaccurate statement ?
The area I cover is large, and I am struggling to think of ANY blocks of flats in my patch which are served by an EO cable.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User robjw
(newbie) Thu 27-Sep-12 22:33:19
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

I assume the results of these checkers are for the exact postcode entered? According to the Royal Mail site, all the addresses for BD17 7EJ are not only all within the apartment complex, but they're all for my building. There are at least 2 other buildings which presumably have different post codes. It seems odd that a single converted mill building would have such an odd spread of lines of different types.

I'd have thought the 'cabinet' would be on site, perhaps more of just a distribution point in the basement or something. But I'm not sure how these things work.
Standard User jchamier
(knowledge is power) Thu 27-Sep-12 22:33:40
Print Post

In reply to a post by Zarjaz:
Flats are often those with exchange only lines

What a strange, and uncommonly for you, inaccurate statement ?
The area I cover is large, and I am struggling to think of ANY blocks of flats in my patch which are served by an EO cable.

None of the 3 blocks here (my block is 2 storey, other blocks are 3 storey) are served by EO lines - James from ADSL24 told me 2 years ago we are all on the same PCP.

James BT Infinity 2 - 19/9/2012 - Install-sync: 52/12 - Test: 50/10 - Est: 44.6/6.5 Mbps
13 years of broadband - ntl:(512k/1M)/BTbusiness(2M)/Metronet(2M)/Bulldog(8M/16M)/BE(16M)/BT FTTC(50M)
Standard User jchamier
(knowledge is power) Thu 27-Sep-12 22:35:27
Print Post

In reply to a post by robjw:
I'd have thought the 'cabinet' would be on site, perhaps more of just a distribution point in the basement or something. But I'm not sure how these things work.

That's how Ask4 will have installed their equipment to give ethernet to each flat. Similar to how Hyperoptic are doing their multi-dwelling installation.

Openreach FTTC uses a new FTTC cabinet next to the PCP cabinet - and given the number of lines a single PCP can service you will probably find all the flats and all the houses in neighbouring roads are on the same PCP (and hence FTTC cab).

James BT Infinity 2 - 19/9/2012 - Install-sync: 52/12 - Test: 50/10 - Est: 44.6/6.5 Mbps
13 years of broadband - ntl:(512k/1M)/BTbusiness(2M)/Metronet(2M)/Bulldog(8M/16M)/BE(16M)/BT FTTC(50M)
Standard User robjw
(newbie) Thu 27-Sep-12 22:54:46
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by jchamier:
That's how Ask4 will have installed their equipment to give ethernet to each flat. Similar to how Hyperoptic are doing their multi-dwelling installation.

Openreach FTTC uses a new FTTC cabinet next to the PCP cabinet - and given the number of lines a single PCP can service you will probably find all the flats and all the houses in neighbouring roads are on the same PCP (and hence FTTC cab).

In one of the buildings when we were looking round I noticed a comms room on one of the floors. Presumably for Ask4. Not sure if there was one on each floor.

You would presume that the whole building would be on the same PCP, but I can't see any other addresses in that postcode, so that leaves 12% of lines serviced either directly from the exchange or another cab.

A bit more detective work:

BD17 7EE - One of the other buildings

100% on cabinet P59 (FTTC)

BD17 7EG - One of the other buildings

98 % on cabinet P59 (FTTC)
1% on cabinet P10 (No FTTC)

BD17 7EJ - My building

86% on cabinet P59 (FTTC)
1% on cabinet P10 (No FTTC)
11% direct exchange (No FTTC)
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 27-Sep-12 23:01:54
Print Post

Often leaves room for me to be both wrong and right smile A lot depends on the history of the wiring in the area and the age of the flats in relation to when cabinets were installed and demand for capacity.

Plusnet should be able to answer the question, via BT Wholesale and Openreach

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User R0NSKI
(committed) Fri 28-Sep-12 08:44:31
Print Post

You can find all addresses in a post code (using BTs data) by following this simple guide:

1 Click this link http://www.productsandservices.bt.com/consumerProduc...
2 Click Can I Get BT Infinity
3 Click I'm not with BT
4 Now enter your postcode you wish to check, but a house number that wont exist for instance 999, then click Check now
5 Now when it pops up saying it cant find the address just enter only the postcode again, click Find Address, and you will now have a list of addresses in that post code.

There's lots for your postcode smile

Edited by R0NSKI (Fri 28-Sep-12 08:47:09)

Standard User robjw
(newbie) Fri 28-Sep-12 09:12:26
Print Post

[re: R0NSKI] [link to this post]

Thanks for that. It appears all the apartments are listed twice. I thought as much when looking at the PlusNet checker, but couldn't see mine twice. The BT checker lists them in a more logical order. One of the entries for mine claims fibre is available, one claims it isn't. So hopefully that means it all should be OK as long as I pick the right one smile
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to