General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User wobblyheed
(newbie) Sat 29-Sep-12 11:09:28
Print Post

FTTC Location - how to find cabinet location

[link to this post]

Hi all. Well, Im still having problems with my BB connection ADSL2 and despite an engineer's visit (which BT tried to charge for but I successfully fought against), Im reconciled to the fact it isnt going to improve until I migrate to FTTC.

Fortunately, my local exchange will be accepting orders from 30.09.12 although goodness knows when I will actually be able to migrate to FTTC since BT keep giving me conflicting info (no change there, then)!

By using this site http://fttc-check.alc.im/ I found my FTTC number is P34. So, my next task is to find the exact location for this cabinet. Does anyone know where I can enter this cabinet number for my location and find out exactly where it is?

I've had a walk around my area and the nearest 2 green BT cabinets are about 800 metres away. Now, cabinet P34 may be this one but there may be another cabinet 800 metres or less away in the other direction that I havent spotted.

Anyone help?

Edited by wobblyheed (Sat 29-Sep-12 11:13:47)

Standard User Ribble
(committed) Sat 29-Sep-12 11:35:47
Print Post

Re: FTTC Location - how to find cabinet location

[re: wobblyheed] [link to this post]

The number is usually marked on the cabinet shell. Without the exchange I can't help ID it for you.you.
Standard User wobblyheed
(newbie) Sat 29-Sep-12 12:12:42
Print Post

[re: Ribble] [link to this post]

Thanks. The exchange is LCCLV, Cleveleys.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User R0NSKI
(committed) Sat 29-Sep-12 15:17:24
Print Post

There'sone here, but looks like 54 on street view,also one here, but looks like 29

I've created a map of postcodes served by your cabinet, it will be somewhere near those, and usually on the exchange side.

This one looks like 30

Edited by R0NSKI (Sat 29-Sep-12 15:22:00)

Standard User wobblyheed
(newbie) Sat 29-Sep-12 15:49:11
Print Post

[re: R0NSKI] [link to this post]

Thanks

Although not on this picture, there is a new cabinet here in front of the wall. It looks a lot newer than the others you highlighted and, there appears to be an older one about 10m or so on the other side of the building.

Here This seems to be 34?

I'll have to have a look next time Im passing to see if it is number 34 EDIT my mistake, this is 34 the cabinet Im supposed to be on so the new one not on the picture must be the FTTC version.

Edited by wobblyheed (Sat 29-Sep-12 15:55:54)

Standard User R0NSKI
(committed) Sat 29-Sep-12 16:54:34
Print Post

Sounds like your cabinet is in place then, does the new cabinet look like one of the FTTC ones shown here http://www.robertos.me.uk/html/street_cabinets_etc.html

Hope you're fairly close, if you want really good speeds.

Standard User wobblyheed
(learned) Sat 29-Sep-12 19:05:57
Print Post

[re: R0NSKI] [link to this post]

It looks like the Huawei 288 cabinet.

Its 500 to 800 metres max away. I'd say nearer 600m than 800.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 29-Sep-12 21:50:35
Print Post

How close is the fibre one to that Cab34 (PCP) you think - that picture is fuzzy. They try to have them with les than 50m cable length between them. Maximum around 100m. If you read my FTTx page it describes the connections.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Connection - Plusnet Extra Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 56.0/13.9Mbps @ 600m.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
  Print Thread

Jump to