Is anyone else on the forums from North Yorkshire?
Yesterday was the official launch of Superfast North Yorkshire, the BDUK project for the county. As well as members of North Yorkshire County Council and NYNET (the private IT delivery company wholly owned by the council who were involved in the procurement process) there was Bill Murphy (MD of NGA), Mike Galvin (MD of Network Investment) and some other BT project managers and engineers.
Ah - was this at the conference in Ripon? Wish I could have made that - I'm sure it would have been very interesting.
A website (SuperfastNorthYorkshire.com) was announced which will be regularly updated with information on the deployment (we will see over the next few months how regular these updates really are). A new Superfast North Yorkshire logo was also unveiled which may appear on Openreach vans and FTTC cabs in the county.
That sounds very much like the Cornish project - which, I think, very much works to get local people energised in the local aspects of the project. The whole concept of a local website, local company, and re-branding of vans is part of that. Hopefully the website will end up with as much information as the Superfast Cornwall
Bill Murphy thought that it would be another few months before the EU granted state aid approval for the BDUK framework which should give North Yorkshire a bit of a head start as it applied for, and has been granted EU state aid approval separately.
That too sounds like Cornwall. I suspected that NY's EU aid would be a similar case - that it wouldn't need to wait for approval. In fact, perhaps that is why NY is amongst the pilots! I wonder if Cumbria turns out to be the same.
It was reiterated that the contract specified that 90% of premises would be connected to fibre broadband with the remaining 10% receiving at least 2Mbit/s down and 0.5 Mbit/s up with the project being completed by the end of 2014. The point was made the satellite would be the last resort and that white space, fixed wireless and 4G/LTE were also being considered. It should be noted that fixed wireless broadband provided by LN Communications (which uses the NYNET PSN for backhaul) covers quite a few rural locations in the county already with typical speeds of 20Mbit/s symmetrical bursting up to 50Mbit/s. BT also said that they wanted to work with communities in the final 10% and would consider extending fibre to these areas if the community could show demand and also do some of the digging etc.
I've so many questions about the breakdown of *all* of these parts. Things like:
- How many more exchanges will get add to the fibre conversion lists?
- How much infill of cabinets on existing exchanges will be performed?
- How do they expect the 10% will be served? ie a breakdown of ADSL1; extra conversion to 21CN/ADSL2+; fixed wireless; 4G/LTE; Whitespace; BET, etc
- Do they see an impact from fibre-on-demand?
I'd also like to know what people are going to be expected to pay if the end up falling into one of the more esoteric solutions.
As for areas of deployment only two were actually announced - Amotherby and Ainderby Steeple. These are small villages and will be used to trial a new type of fibre which BT hasnít used before and which works better over longer distances than the fibre they have been using in their commercial deployment.
These don't seem to have their own exchanges, so it would appear that this is "just" a straightforward FTTC cabinet rollout. It'd be interesting to see exactly why BT consider this to be worth trialling something new-enough to be worth reporting like this. I thought the standard fibre could go around 20km... so perhaps not!
The first phase areas are scheduled to be completed by Spring 2013 and will cover 11,000 homes and businesses.
Any feeling from them as to whether these will be built out (so market 2, or big market 1), or remote small locations?
As for exchange only lines Mike Galvin said that 80% of EO lines would get FTTC (via hybrid cabinets that Openreach have been trialing in Steanalees, Cornwall) and 20% FTTP.
Now that is pretty impressive - that's a commitment to get fibre to 100% of EO lines, which is the first time I've heard of *any* sort of commitment on EO lines!
Off to google Steanalees next...
I will try and update the thread with any further information I get.