General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User idb
(committed) Sun 30-Sep-12 18:06:08
Print Post

Timescale?

[link to this post]

Our local cabs (at least 5 that I know of) were all installed and power provided in Feb/Mar this year; the "expected" date on the OR web site was June. The date was then pushed back to September and has now gone to December.

However, while walking the dog this morning, I felt the top of one cab and it was warm. Putting my ear to it (whilst no doubt looking a bit silly) I could hear fans running. This is new.

Can I take this as a good sign; if the cabs are actually being powered up does this mean the fibre has been connected and the exchange will soon be accepting orders, or might it still just be some sort of test.

Ian
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 30-Sep-12 18:15:20
Print Post

Re: Timescale?

[re: idb] [link to this post]

It does sound hopeful. A couple of years ago we regularly suggested people with a cabinet in place to listen at the vents to see if the cooling was running. The assumption being that they wouldn't turn that on if the DSLAM wasn't running.

You need to be checking your phone number here daily. It will probably show December now. If it stops saying anything about fibre you are just waiting for the live button to be pressed - usually 2-3 days. Sometimes it just goes straight to live, or a "real date" not far ahead.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Connection - Plusnet Extra Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 56.0/13.9Mbps @ 600m.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
  Print Thread

Jump to