General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User think26872
(committed) Sun 30-Sep-12 19:14:18
Print Post

Line Distance How To Measure To Cabinet & Routes?

[link to this post]

Does anyone know when I am trying to estimate my distance to the cabinet do I go:

house to telephone cabinet to fibre cabinet

and add a bit for up and down the telegraph pole (there is quite a big distance between telephone cabinet and fibre cabinet for some reason do I need to include this distance twice)?

Do telephone cables generally follow the most obvious road from the pole to the house to the cabinet? Can they double back on themselves?

Do all lines on a pole go to the same cabinet?

Thanks
Standard User WWWombat
(experienced) Sun 30-Sep-12 23:32:22
Print Post

Re: Line Distance How To Measure To Cabinet & Routes?

[re: think26872] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by think26872:
Does anyone know when I am trying to estimate my distance to the cabinet do I go:

Yes

and add a bit for up and down the telegraph pole

Yes

(there is quite a big distance between telephone cabinet and fibre cabinet for some reason do I need to include this distance twice)?

Once. BT prefer the cabinet to be within 50m, and require it to be within 100m. If it is further than 10m away, there is probably a really good reason.

Do telephone cables generally follow the most obvious road from the pole to the house to the cabinet? Can they double back on themselves?

No, they don't always follow the most obvious road, but they don't usually double back on themselves on the way back to the cabinet.

However the lines out of the cabinet *could* double back on the line from cabinet back to exchange. Perhaps not much, but it is possible.

Some clues to follow:
- If the roads/houses were built at different times, then the lines in the newer part probably branch off the old route in 1 location, so work out where that might be.
- Overhead lines ought to be easy to follow
- Underground lines probably follow a route with manhole covers. The cabling from a cabinet will go to a number of distribution points, and these must be *somewhere*...

I don't know. You'd think so, and they probably start that way, but cabinets filling, and people asking for extra lines might change that over time.

Do you know *which* cabinet your on yet? And what speeds are predicted?
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 30-Sep-12 23:35:48
Print Post

[re: think26872] [link to this post]

Yes.
and add a bit for up and down the telegraph pole (there is quite a big distance between telephone cabinet and fibre cabinet for some reason do I need to include this distance twice)?
Both of those just once.
It depends very much on the particular locality. Some have been shown here to go directly away from the cabinet and literaly round the houses and end up at the cabinet. I think in most cases it would be road route though. Especially if you follow the poles.
Dunno, but I expect so.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Connection - Plusnet Extra Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 56.0/13.9Mbps @ 600m.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User simon194
(member) Mon 01-Oct-12 10:40:51
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
It depends very much on the particular locality. Some have been shown here to go directly away from the cabinet and literaly round the houses and end up at the cabinet. I think in most cases it would be road route though. Especially if you follow the poles.

Some definitely do go around the houses. My parent live about 50m from their exchange as the crow flies, following the road it is about 200m yet BT say their line is 1.2km long.
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Mon 01-Oct-12 10:45:37
Print Post

[re: simon194] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by simon194:
Some definitely do go around the houses. My parent live about 50m from their exchange as the crow flies, following the road it is about 200m yet BT say their line is 1.2km long.
Don't confuse the exchange with the cabinet.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________ this is not usenet __________________
Standard User simon194
(member) Mon 01-Oct-12 11:24:08
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by BatBoy:
Don't confuse the exchange with the cabinet.

Sorry I was a bit unclear. That's the distance to the PCP assuming it's the one they are connected to.
Standard User Andrue
(knowledge is power) Mon 01-Oct-12 14:17:27
Print Post

[re: simon194] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:

A friend of mine lived next door to the exchange. It actually formed part of the back wall of his garden. Unfortunately his line went up the road away from the exchange to get to the High Street then along the High Street and back down a main road before turning into the side street that led to the exchange. I forget the distance but he got about 15Mb/s from Be.

I suggested he drill a hole through the exchange wall, poke some CAT5 through then bribe a friendly BTor engineer to stick it in the back of the DSLAM smile

---
Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK

Just because he could. RIP.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 01-Oct-12 14:30:23
Print Post

[re: Andrue] [link to this post]

With the Fibre on Demand that might even happen

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Taras
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 01-Oct-12 14:51:50
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
With the Fibre on Demand that might even happen

Probably the cheapest way possible laugh (excluding health and safety ) laugh

My Blog .......... here (still in dev mode)
Me twittering go add
Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Mon 01-Oct-12 22:16:28
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Dunno, but I expect so.

More often than not. If there just one DP block at the top of the pole, then yes, all back to the same cab, usually true if there are two blocks also. I do know of a nearby road where the two blocks up each pole go back to different cabs. Why, no idea.

Print Thread

Jump to