General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sun 30-Sep-12 23:42:23
Print Post

Infinity installation -cabling question.

[link to this post]

I'm having infinity 2 installed shortly and have just run a CAT5 cable under the house from the BT master socket into another room.

There is no power points anywhere near the master socket.
Will this cable be of any use?

Currently I've terminated it with RJ45 plugs, will they be suitable or would I need RJ11?

If i need RJ11 what pinouts will it need.

Thanks
Standard User izools
(experienced) Mon 01-Oct-12 00:52:03
Print Post

Re: Infinity installation -cabling question.

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

RJ11, pins 3&4 on a single twisted pair, that's all smile

(Unregistered)Mon 01-Oct-12 08:52:10
Print Post

[re: izools] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by izools:

Thanks shame it's not RJ45 !! I'll have to buy some RJ11 plugs !

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Mon 01-Oct-12 08:55:21
Print Post

[re: izools] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by izools:

Should also have asked is the RJ11 4 pin or 6 pin ?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 01-Oct-12 09:47:25
Print Post

Actually with the old faceplates, an RJ45 with the middle two pins wired on a pair (which is usual for Ethernet) will be fine.

Not sure if this is the case with the interstitial filter, don't have one to try. The modem end though is VERY VERY likely to be just an RJ11 socket.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User MHC
(legend) Mon 01-Oct-12 10:10:22
Print Post

Yes and no!

Keep the master where it is and have the VDSL filter installed there. Use one pair of the Cat5e for the VDSL signal and another pair (plus one for the ring wire if you need it) to take the signals to your required location.

Get a modular faceplate with a BT phone socket and an RJ11 socket at the final location and connect the Cat5e to those. You can the plug your phone in there, as well as where the master is and use a short RJ11 to RJ11 lead from socket to modem.

You might or might not get the BT tech to do it for you - but if not you will need a power extension lead to the hallway as a temporary measure whilst he does the install.

Don't try to fit RJ11s to four pair Cat5e it is near impossible and also infrastructure cable is not designed for termination in plug connectors but for IDCs.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Mon 01-Oct-12 12:00:17
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

Thanks

My current BT master socket has a telephone extension cable wired from it to my dining room. I plan to leave that in place as it works. ( unless advised not to )

I thought I needed one pair either from the socket (RJ45 / RJ11 not sure which) or from the internal IDC. If that is the case and I use one pair from inside the faceplate do I just terminate an RJ11 on the same pair of wires ? using which pins ?
Standard User MHC
(legend) Mon 01-Oct-12 12:37:00
Print Post

Go from the internal IDC - that is why it is there. You can take teh telephony too, if you want. With teh existing extension, that can remain but it does mean you will need the filter at the master.

Don't use an RJ11 plug but as I suggest an RJ11 socket and then a short patch lead. It will be either 3&4 or 2&5 - some modems are auto sensing and will detect which pair to use.

Standard Cat5e cable is solid core and designed for use in IDCs but trying to terminate it in an RJ45/11/12/14 plug can be hit and miss with some connections either not making or being less than perfect. Patch lead is multi-stranded and ideal for the blade cutting in that an RJ plug uses whereas it is possible to insert a patch lead wire into an IDC and get no connection whatsoever.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Mon 01-Oct-12 12:55:07
Print Post

Would this work OK :

RJ45 --- RJ11
Pin 3 -> Pin2 Green / White
Pin 4 -> Pin3 Blue
Pin 5 -> Pin4 Blue / White
Pin 6 -> Pin5 Green
Standard User R0NSKI
(committed) Mon 01-Oct-12 13:36:58
Print Post

There's a basic guide linked to in my signature, take a look at that it may well help.

It pictures of my setup when I had ADSL, when FTTC was installed I got them to move the master socket.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to