General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User electro
(regular) Mon 01-Oct-12 01:33:50
Print Post

Slave Cabinets...

[link to this post]

Ok here's the situation, Exchange has an FTTC RFS of 31/12/12 - FTTC cabinets are cropping up around the town (Exmouth), some nearby.
My address, part of 5 streets served by one cabinet is not being targeted for the upgrade according to the December spreadsheet, but the rest of the estate IS being enabled as planned.

Roadworks maps show no works forthcoming for my cabinet.

My main question, The cabinet I'm on, could it be a slave cabinet that's fed by the nearest "bigger brother" cabinet (of which is due an FTTC install shortly according to local roadworks notices) ?

Interestingly enough, I've also seen 3 NGA cabinet roadworks notifications in the nearby village of Lympstone, which is also attached to the Exmouth exchange, however, according to the December spreadsheet information, that areaisn't part of an upgrade phase.

Right now I feel like there's going to be a massive doughnut of fibre, all around me, and I'm right in the hole in the middle! frown

Thanks in advance for your help! laugh
Standard User electro
(regular) Mon 01-Oct-12 01:36:02
Print Post

Re: Slave Cabinets...

[re: electro] [link to this post]

To add - BT superfast checkers also show no sign of FTTC for my street.
Cheers!
Standard User ccxo
(experienced) Mon 01-Oct-12 02:00:33
Print Post

To your first question no, Openreach will likely enable your cabinet at a later date or it will be upgraded via the BDUK contract for Devon and Somerset which Openreach is the expected winner to be announced in October.

The December information is from 2011- since then their has been 3 new spreadsheets only avalaible to Isp's, so its very likely that the nearby village of Lympstone was added in a later phase.

If you send a email to this address nga.complaints.or.enquiries@openreach.co.uk

They should be able to say if their are any plans for your cabinet or what reason it was deferred/declined.

My Broadband Speed Test

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User WWWombat
(experienced) Mon 01-Oct-12 02:14:06
Print Post

Unlikely. Some cabinets are secondaries (SCP), but they seem few & far between nowadays.

You might be an unviable doughnut, or you might be being planned for a later phase. If unviable now, you might be infilled as part of BDUK funding, when the concept of viability shifts in a subtle way.
Standard User electro
(regular) Mon 01-Oct-12 11:09:22
Print Post

[re: ccxo] [link to this post]

Thanks! I emailed nga.enquiries@openreach.co.uk yesterday, if I get a reply I'll update this post with the response.
Cheers!
Standard User electro
(regular) Tue 02-Oct-12 16:04:32
Print Post

Spoke to an engineer fitting a cabinet today, he said that there's 60 odd cabinets on the Exmouth exchange, and they're all getting done (as far as he knows) - December spreadsheet shows 57 cabinets in total - maybe things are looking up? smile
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Tue 02-Oct-12 20:47:29
Print Post

60 cabinets! wow. i live in Exmouth and would never have estimated there being that many. Our cabinet on Dinan way has just been done. Im looking forward to a massive improvement in performance as we're so far away from the exchange we currently only get 1.2Mb and the uplift is estimated at 30 smile
Standard User electro
(regular) Wed 03-Oct-12 00:21:04
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

One has even cropped up in the strand, right where you wouldn't even think you'd need fibre services as the exchange is so close!!
At 1.2Mb, you certainly need it more than I do, but it's debatable as to whether the people in the town centre need cabs.
Could you do me a huge favour and contact me via a PM, I'd love to come and check out a FTTC install at yours when you get it (that's assuming I can't get it, of course!) - hope that's cool smile
Cheers!
-Dave
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 03-Oct-12 00:26:52
Print Post

Anons can't PM. Only registered users.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Connection - Plusnet Extra Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 56.0/13.9Mbps @ 600m.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User simon194
(member) Wed 03-Oct-12 00:30:14
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Anonymous:
60 cabinets! wow. i live in Exmouth and would never have estimated there being that many. Our cabinet on Dinan way has just been done. Im looking forward to a massive improvement in performance as we're so far away from the exchange we currently only get 1.2Mb and the uplift is estimated at 30 smile

It's quite surprising how many there. In Hastings there's 3 exchanges and there's 94 on the Hastings exchange, 14 on Baldslow and I'm not sure how many there are on Castleham and all are supposed to be done by the end of next year.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to