General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 01-Oct-12 20:32:30
Print Post

BT openreach posters

[link to this post]

If there is a poster saying superfast broadband is here or something like that stuck onto a fibre cabinet then surly that means that Cabinet is enabled.

i just come back form a mates place the cabinet just across the road from him got a big sticker on it saying fibre is here, but it is not.

The cabinet is quiet, no buzzing and when my mate did a check, to see when he can get FTTC, it comes up now with December, where last week it said the end of September.

so surly that poster is false advertising? this is Bt we are talking about, so I don't put anything past them, be it Bt open reach, Bt retail or Bt wholesale.

funny enough I had a letter from Bloated Toad this morning, no opened it yet, but on the front it says BT fibre optic broadband at a down to earth price. It got my address on it, but addressed to the householder, so they must be going by postcode.

I know FTTC is available to me if i wanted it, but no way would I go to BT.

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 7 pro 64bit , laptop by ubuntu

ALLPAY Wireless broadband
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 01-Oct-12 20:43:10
Print Post

Re: BT openreach posters

[re: zyborg47] [link to this post]

I said I'd never go to BT or Plusnet.

In the end I had great difficulty deciding which. (I'm very happy with my decision).

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Connection - Plusnet Extra Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 56.0/13.9Mbps @ 600m.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Mon 01-Oct-12 20:44:47
Print Post

Virgin Media advertise their 'fibre' broadband services where they are not available.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 01-Oct-12 22:23:49
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
I said I'd never go to BT or Plusnet.

In the end I had great difficulty deciding which. (I'm very happy with my decision).

This mate of mine I was on about above is with Mad as a fish at the moment on ADSL, and we looked to see if fibre was available as it said it is on the cabinet across the road from him. but it is not.

He looked at Plusnet, but did not fancy changing his phone to them from BT and worked out that getting fTTc from BT is not going to be that much more than plusnet.

I don't get it to be honest as he hates Bt more than I do and yet he is going to go and have both his broadband and phone from them.

I have been with Bt twice now, that is enough to be honest and Plusnet is just Bt with a different name.
Still it make little difference to me as i am using a point to point wireless service and as such got no intention of using FTTC for at least 2 years, maybe more.

Adrian

Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 01-Oct-12 22:24:55
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Anonymous:
Virgin Media advertise their 'fibre' broadband services where they are not available.

Maybe so on TV or radio or even in newspapers, but not on their own cabinets that is not working.

a FTTC poster on a fibre cabinet that is not switch on? that is false advertising.

Adrian

Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Mon 01-Oct-12 22:28:16
Print Post

Madasafish as in Plusnet as in BT ? LOL.

From what I have observed the posters are often added well after the cab is in service. The active ones I have listened too are all silent too.

--

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 01-Oct-12 22:38:21
Print Post

Madasafish belongs to Plusnet and is fairly closely but not entirely integrated.

Neither is at all integrated with BT. Please stop spouting that rubbish. Plusnet is not "just BT with a different name".

He didn't need to change his phone to Plusnet. Fom the amount of reading and posting you do on here you ought to know that by now. When advising people, which you often do, it rather screws them when you tell them things that are manifestly untrue, or in the case of your friend you omit telling him something highly relevant such as his misunderstanding of the Plusnet products.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Connection - Plusnet Extra Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 56.0/13.9Mbps @ 600m.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 01-Oct-12 23:18:01
Print Post

[re: yarwell] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by yarwell:
Madasafish as in Plusnet as in BT ? LOL.

From what I have observed the posters are often added well after the cab is in service. The active ones I have listened too are all silent too.

the cab down the road from me is not silent, it got a hum to, but the one by my mates place don't and even if it is silent, why is it that my mate can't get FTTC? we are 99.% sure that this cabinet would supply his house as the next one is a bit of a distance and doing checks on BT, they said that he should get 78Mb/s or something like that, so it have to be pretty close for that, but it will nto be available until December.

Adrian

Standard User ccxo
(experienced) Mon 01-Oct-12 23:22:30
Print Post

In another thread the posters where talked about and it was revealed that they are put up by Openreach staff in their own time- so not all cabinets will be live when they are put up.

Has your friend checked the openreach where and when map- as it may show a yellow pin for his cabinet if their are delays- otherwise its just a case of waiting till it goes live.

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 01-Oct-12 23:28:58
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
Madasafish belongs to Plusnet and is fairly closely but not entirely integrated.

i know that, my mates bill for Mad as a fish have plusnet on it and i knew ages that Brightview became part of plusnet/BT. My mate been with MAAF since the Free net names days, I was with them for a while in dial up days.

My mate was looking to see if MAAF offered fibre, but they don't.

Neither is at all integrated with BT. Please stop spouting that rubbish. Plusnet is not "just BT with a different name".

Still owned by them, still Bt [censored].

He didn't need to change his phone to Plusnet. Fom the amount of reading and posting you do on here you ought to know that by now. When advising people, which you often do, it rather screws them when you tell them things that are manifestly untrue, or in the case of your friend you omit telling him something highly relevant such as his misunderstanding of the Plusnet products.

We both looked on Plusnet and while he could get ADSL without a phone service we could not see FTTc without a phone service.

I will look again and see as I think he would prefer to stay with the plusnet/MAAF as long as the price is right for the service he gets.

With all the complaining he does about MAAF i have no idea why he wants to stay with them, but such is life. But then he hates BT as well and still thinking of going with them.

He will stay as he is until FTTC is available.

Anyway, Bt open reach is still falsely advertising a service that is not available.

ok, i just had another look and you are right,FTTC is available from plusnet without the phone service. i will send my mate the link. Just under £20 here, i done a check using my postcode as fibre is available here and since he still lives in the same town it will be just under £20 for him as well, less than what he is paying with MAAF.

i can't use my phone number as it is VoIP only.

Adrian

Edited by zyborg47 (Mon 01-Oct-12 23:36:23)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to