General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User stephen79
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 02-Oct-12 14:48:20
Print Post

1st on cab

[link to this post]

Just had my Fibre installed, was on an 8:00-13:00 appointment and the engineers have just left (turned up about 13:30).

As expected, I was the first one on the cab to get activated smile I had a predicted speed of 62/20. Their line tester showed a theoretical 103/34.

Only getting 40/10 speeds at the moment (tested wireless and wired), is this normal?

http://www.speedtest.net/result/2216187192.png

BTInternet

Edited by stephen79 (Tue 02-Oct-12 14:54:51)

Standard User R0NSKI
(committed) Tue 02-Oct-12 15:47:07
Print Post

Re: 1st on cab

[re: stephen79] [link to this post]

lucky you, mine went the other way, estimated 57/20, currently getting about 50/10 attainable.

Sounds like your on a 40/10 profile, may need to get onto your ISP, but I would give it a few days see if they do it automatically.

How far from the cabinet are you?

Edited by R0NSKI (Tue 02-Oct-12 15:51:05)

Standard User stephen79
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 02-Oct-12 16:16:28
Print Post

[re: R0NSKI] [link to this post]

I`m seeing 73/10 now on a wired connection, so the download is climbing at least. (The wireless on my laptop only hits 43meg)

The cab is pretty close, probably less than 200 yards.

BTInternet

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 02-Oct-12 17:12:09
Print Post

Do speedtests if you like, but don't mess with the connection until Thursday.

The DLM in the cabinet is very touchy until the end of the day after the day of installation. If it thinks there is instability it might "band" you, and that needs an engineer visit to fix. (It shouldn't need a visit, but it does).

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Connection - Plusnet Extra Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 56.0/13.9Mbps @ 600m.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User stephen79
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 02-Oct-12 17:41:49
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Ok, thanks for the info mate.

BTInternet
Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Tue 02-Oct-12 18:15:15
Print Post

I`m seeing 73/10 now on a wired connection, so the download is climbing at least. (The wireless on my laptop only hits 43meg)

Pant's wireless I'm afraid.

Standard User stephen79
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 02-Oct-12 18:29:27
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Zarjaz:

Pant's wireless I'm afraid.

Can the Hub deliver ~80-100Mbps? My laptops wireless status shows 65Mbps so that's obviously going to get saturated, worth buying a new lappy perhaps? This one is getting on a bit.

BTInternet
Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Tue 02-Oct-12 18:37:49
Print Post

Worth trying a new wireless adaptor first ?

Maybe just write it off to experience, 'I know my laptop won't produce accurate speed test result via wireless', and be done.
TBF, 40 meg will get most stuff done very nicely on one machine ! smile

Standard User izools
(experienced) Tue 02-Oct-12 19:45:01
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Zarjaz:
Worth trying a new wireless adaptor first ?

Maybe just write it off to experience, 'I know my laptop won't produce accurate speed test result via wireless', and be done.
TBF, 40 meg will get most stuff done very nicely on one machine ! smile

Netgear DGND3700 (instead of a HH3) + any Intel 5GHz Wireless-N card = redonculous wireless speed.

I see 20Megabytes / sec (yes, megabytes - about 160 megabits / sec) throughput from my gigabit wired server to my Wireless-N laptop running over 5GHz.

Edited by izools (Tue 02-Oct-12 19:46:01)

Standard User jchamier
(knowledge is power) Tue 02-Oct-12 20:10:58
Print Post

[re: izools] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by izools:
I see 20Megabytes / sec (yes, megabytes - about 160 megabits / sec) throughput from my gigabit wired server to my Wireless-N laptop running over 5GHz.

Nice!

I can get my full 46 megabit/sec using my Draytek 2820 which is only 2.4GHz - when my neighbours all go to bed and stop using theirs.

I'm tempted to get one of these to add on to the Draytek and set it to 5 GHz only:
http://www.apple.com/uk/airportexpress/

I have too much 2.4 GHz only kit, but my personal and office laptops are all dual band capable.

James BT Infinity 2 19/09/2012 - Estimate 44.6/6.5 - Install 52/12 - Actual 46 / 8 Mbps
13 years of broadband - ntl:(512k/1M)/BTbusiness(2M)/Metronet(2M)/Bulldog(8M/16M)/BE(16M)/BT FTTC(50M)
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to