General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Saltank
(member) Wed 03-Oct-12 09:41:04
Print Post

Minimum contract term?

[link to this post]

I am moving in a month to a property which most likely has FTTC availailable. I've been looking at Sky, TalkTalk, PlusNet.. but they all have 18 month minimum contract.

If I move after 12 months, would I still have to pay them for the remaining 6months or do these minimum terms only apply to stop someone from switching to another provider?

I'm currently with XLN for line rental and they told me even though I've got an 18 month line rental, if I move I can cancel it without any problems.

(experienced) Wed 03-Oct-12 12:16:04
Print Post

Re: Minimum contract term?

[re: Saltank] [link to this post]

I think Plusnet will apply the 18 months as a minimum period, but do not force you to stay at the one property for that period - that is to say, you can move house after 12 months, but you'd have to take their service with you.

If you then moved to somewhere without fibre, I think they accept that you can only continue on one of their standard broadband packages.
Standard User omgFTTC
(regular) Wed 03-Oct-12 12:28:58
Print Post

In reply to a post by Saltank:
I am moving in a month to a property which most likely has FTTC availailable. I've been looking at Sky, TalkTalk, PlusNet.. but they all have 18 month minimum contract.

If I move after 12 months, would I still have to pay them for the remaining 6months or do these minimum terms only apply to stop someone from switching to another provider?

I'm currently with XLN for line rental and they told me even though I've got an 18 month line rental, if I move I can cancel it without any problems.

with talktalk you can call them up and make a deal on contract term, I have opted for yearly but you have to remember at end of each year to call up and make a new deal, or it rolls, so in theory all the benefits you get them to include for term of contract you just repeat at year end.

I have paid line rental upfront, so I pay £1.25 a month for unlimited broadband, if i dont make any chargeable phone calls my bill will never rise above £1.25, for term of contract.

Edited by omgFTTC (Wed 03-Oct-12 12:33:28)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 03-Oct-12 12:29:07
Print Post

Ring them and ask.

There may have been a misunderstanding at the time, but when I signed up to Fibre with Plusnet this Feb, keeping my phone with BT, I was told that if I left within the 18 months I would only have to pay £4 per outstanding month. Not the £16.49 I had just signed up for (Value Fibre).

If you get the same answer, ask for an email!

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Connection - Plusnet Extra Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 56.0/13.9Mbps @ 600m.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 03-Oct-12 12:30:58
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Note - that would be if I migrated away.

Any broadband Cease I would expect a £30 charge at least.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Connection - Plusnet Extra Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 56.0/13.9Mbps @ 600m.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User Bob_s2
(committed) Wed 03-Oct-12 12:42:03
Print Post

If you have an 18 month contract. It is as it states on the tin 18 months. Some ISp's may waive it if you move and take the service from your new home but basically you will be liable for the 18 months
Standard User R0NSKI
(committed) Wed 03-Oct-12 13:24:35
Print Post

[re: Bob_s2] [link to this post]

oh Bob, again you don't have a clue what your posting about! But I suppose you do get the second sentence right.

HTTP://community.plus.net/fibre_launch_faq/#14 Posted April 2011, but I don't think it's changed.

What happens if I cancel before the end of my 18 month term?
If you cancel within the first 12 months then you would be required to pay for any hardware/activation costs that we incurred on your behalf when you signed up/upgraded. After month 12 all deferred hardware and activation contracts are written off. You would also pay £4/mnth or £6/mnth for the remaining 18 month term depending on whether or not youíre on Value Fibre or Extra Fibre respectively.

What happens if I move from a fibre area to a non-fibre area?
If you move from a fibre-enabled property to a non fibre-enabled property then your line will be provisioned on a normal ADSL/ADSL2+ service. You will be downgraded to a non-fibre product and the remainder of the 18 month contractual term for fibre will be waived.

How much does it cost if I move house? *
The pricing and rules surrounding house moves are essentially the same as those that apply for a normal ADSL connection. Assuming you move to a fibre enabled area, and assuming you havenít moved during the last twelve months, then you will be able to defer the £65 cost over a 12 month period. Youíll start a new 18 month contract as part of the house move.

Edited by R0NSKI (Wed 03-Oct-12 13:26:38)

Standard User Bob_s2
(committed) Wed 03-Oct-12 13:27:53
Print Post

[re: R0NSKI] [link to this post]

If you sign upto an 18 Month contact that is what you signupto and agree to. Now an ISPmay choose to waive it but it is still an 18 month contract. Lots of people sign upto these contracts and then think they can just walk away from when they move. That is not the case. Some will allow you to transfer the contract to another property.
Standard User R0NSKI
(committed) Wed 03-Oct-12 13:31:28
Print Post

[re: Bob_s2] [link to this post]

It's all in the small print, so you can't generalise, only provide examples as I did.

Standard User Bob_s2
(committed) Wed 03-Oct-12 13:36:08
Print Post

[re: R0NSKI] [link to this post]

I am not generalizing. If you sign up to an 18 Month contract it is exacly as it says on the tin an 18 month contrct. It is a legal contract and you and the ISP or teleco are bound by it. It can be varied by agreement but equally they can hold you to the contract.Plenty of people sign contracts without reading themor understanding them.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to