General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User mikegg
(newbie) Wed 03-Oct-12 13:20:08
Print Post

FTTC - Installation in the property

[link to this post]

In the process of FTTC being enabled (Gresford) and have some questions re installation in the property. Currently have the BT Master in the lounge (no mains power near) with router in the Hall (with power) and linked with standard telephone cable.

Some questions -

1 When I get fibre I will have a new (larger) master socket fitted?

2 I assume the new master will be connected to a Modem which is then connected to a Router with Cat 5 cable?

3 Will both the Modem and Router need power but not the Master socket?

4 How far can the Modem and Router be away from the Master and what cable is used to connect?

5 Are OR engineers able to (allowed to !!) move the current Master and if so what are the likely limitations?

Grateful for any advice
Thanks

Edited by mikegg (Wed 03-Oct-12 13:21:20)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 03-Oct-12 15:22:30
Print Post

Re: FTTC - Installation in the property

[re: mikegg] [link to this post]

1. Yes the filter plate makes the socket deeper, rather than wider or taller
2. Yes
3. Yes
4. Modem can be up to 30m away, and this is fed by a data extension kit that you should ask for when ordering (its free but by specifying it you should ensure engineer arrives with one). The modem and router can be up to 100m apart using the usual Ethernet CAT5e cables, since it is just an Ethernet signal.
5. They can relocate, and precise limitations I cannot recall. A lot depends on the situation in your property.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User think26872
(committed) Fri 05-Oct-12 11:18:21
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Does anyone know how deep the master socket will be when the new FTTC filter is applied? Thanks

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Lorian
(committed) Fri 05-Oct-12 22:15:54
Print Post

[re: think26872] [link to this post]

36mm
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 05-Oct-12 23:08:03
Print Post

[re: think26872] [link to this post]

I haven't measured it so assume Lorian is correct. There's a picture of mine on this page if that helps.

Its damn ugly.

There is nothing special about it. It is a standard NTE5, (can your master open up as in this pic? If so, then all that happens is he removes that bit, plugs in the interstitial filtering faceplate - in the same way as an iPlate (Broadband Accelerator) fits - then puts the bottom half back on the front. The filtering is just the same as any filtered faceplate.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet Extra Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 56.0/13.9Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User mikegg
(newbie) Sat 06-Oct-12 13:28:19
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
4. Modem can be up to 30m away, and this is fed by a data extension kit that you should ask for when ordering (its free but by specifying it you should ensure engineer arrives with one). The modem and router can be up to 100m apart using the usual Ethernet CAT5e cables, since it is just an Ethernet signal.

Thanks for the reply. Ideally I would have the modem and router together but about 5m away from the Master - are the losses over that sort of small distance significant ?

Edited by mikegg (Sat 06-Oct-12 13:29:00)

Standard User asbokid
(member) Sat 06-Oct-12 13:55:56
Print Post

[re: mikegg] [link to this post]

The "cable insertion loss" from an extra 5 metres of internal wiring will be relatively nothing. Bear in mind that your line to the cabinet will probably be several hundreds of metres. So another 5 metres more won't make much difference in that respect.

One thing that could be worth experimenting is with different modem->NTE5 cables. Normally that cable has an RJ11 plug on each end. Whereas the modem->router cable usually has an RJ45 each end, to distinguish them.

While the length of the RJ11 cable is irrelevant in domestic settings, there could still be other losses to consider, such as "reflection losses". These can occur through the use of unsuitable/poor cabling. Signal reflections could be caused by an impedance mismatch at the joint between the modem patch cable and the NTE5 /internal (CW1308) cabling. The reflections are seen as noise by the modem (at either end). This can lower the SNR at frequency-specific points, and potentially lower the overall throughput of the connection.

See Fig 2.6 on page 12, here from Walter Chen's book, Home Networking Basis https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B6wW18mYskvBU0ZfTTV...

cheers, a

Edited by asbokid (Sat 06-Oct-12 13:56:11)

Print Thread

Jump to