General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User omnius
(regular) Wed 03-Oct-12 21:13:54
Print Post

Fibre speeds on E0 lines

[link to this post]

This is going to sound stupid but a search with google didn't come up with any good reasons for me.

FTTC works with kit in a cab connected to a standard PCP, why cant the kit be installed in the exchange then connected to the copper in a simmiler way?

For example the wires from the main bit of the exchange then go to a (for want of a better word) mini PCP in a corner of the exchange where the signal could be combined as it is with a standard PCP

---------------------------

I live for the one, I die for the one.
Yep i really am THAT thick!

Smallworld Cable ..... 5Meg then upped to 20Meg
O2 ADSL2+ .... 13.6Meg (ish)
Sky ADSL2+ .... 3.5Meg
Sky FTTC .... Should be getting the full 40/10 to start, upgrading to pro if i need it (EST speeds 72.1/20)
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 03-Oct-12 21:19:11
Print Post

Re: Fibre speeds on E0 lines

[re: omnius] [link to this post]

VDSL in exchange is not allowed due to worries about crosstalk, i.e. not part of the ANFP.

mini PCP as in a hybrid FTTC cabinet or full FTTP is the way EO lines are going to be dealt with, covered this in news yesterday

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User WWWombat
(experienced) Wed 03-Oct-12 21:21:34
Print Post

Ofcom have a sub-committee ( NICC - Network Interoperability Consultative Committee) that determines the rules on connection to BT Openreach's copper (aka the Access Network).

The rules are set in a document known as the ANFP (Access Network Frequency Plan) which determines what is - and is not - allowed to happen within the exchanges, cabinets and over the copper. The aim is to prevent any form of interference between any of the companies that interconnect equipment.

It is the ANFP that allows VDSL2 to happen at all within the cabinets, and was a new version of the ANFP that allowed BT to switch from the 7MHz 8c profile to the 17MHz 17a profile at the end of last year - and so open up the 80/20 products.

However, the rules therein prohibit the use of these frequencies within the exchange building itself.

As I understand it, the ANFP doesn't explicitly say "No VDSL2 in the exchange", but the rules on frequencies and power-masks are the things that end up prohibiting it.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User omnius
(regular) Wed 03-Oct-12 21:32:20
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

I see, thank you both smile

Didnt know about yesterday mrstaffron been in Portugal for a week and a bit with no internet when i suddenly thought about it over ice cold beer on the beach in 30 degree heat.

Sky ADSL2+ .... 3.5Meg
Sky FTTC .... Should be getting the full 40/10 to start, upgrading to pro if i need it (EST speeds 72.1/20)

Edited by omnius (Wed 03-Oct-12 21:32:48)

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 03-Oct-12 21:35:17
Print Post

In reply to a post by omnius:
I see, thank you both smile

Didnt know about yesterday mrstaffron been in Portugal for a week and a bit with no internet when i suddenly thought about it over ice cold beer on the beach in 30 degree heat.
Yer crackers tongue ! smile

I wouldn't have been thinking about broadband. Just the broads in the "sea"nery.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Connection - Plusnet Extra Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 56.0/13.9Mbps @ 600m.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User omnius
(regular) Wed 03-Oct-12 21:37:55
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
I wouldn't have been thinking about broadband. Just the broads in the "sea"nery.

yea its amazing what scantly clad women, booze and the hot sun can do to ya wink

totally random thoughts!!!!!!

Sky ADSL2+ .... 3.5Meg
Standard User WWWombat
(experienced) Wed 03-Oct-12 21:39:33
Print Post

[re: WWWombat] [link to this post]

The ANFP is here: ANFP, version 5
The extra document on DSL: here.

Section 6 says:
The ANFP does not exclude specific systems; it excludes by implication: one may not install a system that
does not conform to the appropriate masks at each of its ends. For example the ANFP would exclude the
following standardised systems from use on any BT access network line (‘ultra short’, ‘extra short’, ‘short’,
‘medium’ or ‘long’):
  • ISDN basic access using MMS43/4B3T line code - see Section 6.2.2.
  • A 1-pair 2.3 Mbit/s HDSL system using 2B1Q or CAP
  • ADSL over ISDN
  • Reverse ADSL (i.e. with the high bandwidth implemented in the customer to exchange direction).
    This means that ADSL is precluded from use on private circuits.
  • VDSL deployed at an MDF site.

MDF is the main distribution frame in the exchange building - the place where every copper pair comes in.
Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Wed 03-Oct-12 21:53:05
Print Post

[re: WWWombat] [link to this post]

That would explain why the VDSL test circuit in a local exchange has had it's own 5pr cable pulled back in from the cab, rather than just pushed back up a spare E ....

Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Wed 03-Oct-12 22:03:25
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

there is a part of the ANFP (as yet unused) for lines that don't pass through PCPs to have their own mask. ie where there is no risk of a competing VDSL or ADSL signal being added at a cabinet.

The ANFP exchange mask is also the original and I'm not sure anyone has considered updating it for VDSL from the exchange. VDSL from the exchange is used elsewhere, there are masks and frequency plans that should address most issues.

EO lines fall into two camps - short ones close to the exchange that could benefit from VDSL in the exchange and long ones that wouldn't.

--

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
  Print Thread

Jump to