General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User giggsy1977
(newbie) Thu 04-Oct-12 12:53:34
Print Post

Infinity install 1 hour ago - need help!

[link to this post]

Hello everyone. I had Infinity Option 2 installed an hour ago and I can't get a decent speed out of it - currently getting 5Mb. The engineer didn't connect the ethernet cable from the hub to the computerso I did that myself and was able to get online to post this thread. I can't seem to install the cd that came with the hub either - my pc is not reading an cd's for some reason. Can I download the software from somewhere? Am I supposed to install the software and connect the hub to the computer at that point? Can someone please assist - my mate is coming over later to see so want it set up right and in a flap at the moment!!! Please help! Thanks
Standard User Ixel
(member) Thu 04-Oct-12 13:33:00
Print Post

Re: Infinity install 1 hour ago - need help!

[re: giggsy1977] [link to this post]

The BT supplied disc I believe isn't necessary to install. It contains things like NetProtect, as far as I know, which I've read that it can cause more problems than good. All you should have to do is connect your devices to your hub, via ethernet or wireless.

Your connection speed of 5 megabits seems terrible, but without knowing what your IP profile is it's unlikely people can hazard any guesses. Also please tell us what BT estimated you would get prior to ordering.

To get your IP profile please complete the 'ADSL & Fibre to the Cabinet (FTTC) Diagnostics' at http://speedtester.bt.com/. Bear in mind that you will need Java support on your web browser to run this test. Let us know the results smile.

Last question of all, are you using any powerline ethernet plugs? Or just directly connected to the hub from PC via LAN cable?

Edited by Ixel (Thu 04-Oct-12 13:33:44)

Standard User WWWombat
(experienced) Thu 04-Oct-12 13:35:56
Print Post

Can't help with the hub or software, but I'd be surprised if you really *need* any software installed for a basic connection to the internet, or for the speed to work correctly.

I might be able to help with the speed - and others will chip in.

1 - Are you connecting wired, or wireless. When checking speed, it is best to use wired as a baseline, and compare wireless later (wireless is usually limited)

2 - What result does this give: BT Speedtester.
Run the ordinary test, not the beta. We're looking for both the speed result *and* the IP Profile result - both for downstream & upstream.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User giggsy1977
(newbie) Thu 04-Oct-12 14:42:37
Print Post

[re: WWWombat] [link to this post]

Ixel and WWWombat - thanks so much for your responses. I am connected with a wire (the one supplied). The engineer didn't connect this to my tower so when I booted up after he left I had no connection initially! I have tried the speed tester at speedtester.bt.com and get an error message The Performance Tester is currently unable to run a speed test for your broadband connection. Please try again shortly, however if this problem persists, raise the issue with your service provider. so I can't give you the result. I don't have any homeplugs. My estimate is 54.7 down and 15.7 up.

The engineer did try to run a test on the line but it failed twice so he left it, said it would be ok and left. I am running an 8 year old desktop with xp - could that affect it? Thanks again.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 04-Oct-12 14:48:23
Print Post

XP assuming it has more than a 10 Meg network card should manage fine.
If you did not have the plug ins needed for the BT test it would complain at you.

One assumes you are connected from the PC to the Home Hub 3, which is in turn connected to the Openreach modem.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User giggsy1977
(newbie) Thu 04-Oct-12 14:56:02
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Mr Saffron - you are correct in your assumption. My network card is 100mbps (I think). It's an ASUS motherboard from about 8 years ago. Just tried another test and got 9Mbps. Well down on what I was expecting! Aaaargh! frown
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 04-Oct-12 15:01:47
Print Post

If doing speedtests try from several other sources too

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User kasg
(experienced) Thu 04-Oct-12 15:07:20
Print Post

What tester are you using at the moment? Can I recommend:

http://windows.mouselike.org/be/?DoAction=BrasChecker

to get the IP profile (as the BT tester doesn't seem to be playing ball) and

www.speedtest.net

for a speed test.

Kevin

plusnet Extra Fibre (80/20)
Using OpenDNS
Domains and web hosting with TSOHOST
Standard User giggsy1977
(newbie) Thu 04-Oct-12 15:17:11
Print Post

[re: kasg] [link to this post]

kasg - I don't like the warning message from http://windows.mouselike.org/be/?DoAction=BrasChecker! Might it be that my details have not been transferred over properly from my AOL account yet?

Mr Saffron - I just tried Speedtest.net and got 58ms ping, 5.63 down and 5.87 up...
Standard User kasg
(experienced) Thu 04-Oct-12 15:19:08
Print Post

Which warning? If it's this one, it always says that - ignore it and carry on.

BT have changed their systems, this tool now has to actively submit information to BT to read the BRAS details.
This may cause problems if your internet provider needs to use BT Speed Tester results for diagnostics and fault reporting in the near future. If in doubt, do NOT run this tool.

Running this tool will also prevent you from running the BT Java based speed tester for a few hours.

Kevin

plusnet Extra Fibre (80/20)
Using OpenDNS
Domains and web hosting with TSOHOST

Edited by kasg (Thu 04-Oct-12 15:19:24)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to