General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Thu 04-Oct-12 14:10:17
Print Post

Interleaving on FTTC lines

[link to this post]

Can ISPs request BT to force interleaving on or off on FTTC lines?
Standard User kasg
(experienced) Thu 04-Oct-12 14:31:41
Print Post

Re: Interleaving on FTTC lines

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

No - it is all decided by the DLM. An Openreach engineer can request that this be reset, which may turn interleaving off for a time, but DLM may well just switch it back on again after a day or two.

Kevin

plusnet Extra Fibre (80/20)
Using OpenDNS
Domains and web hosting with TSOHOST

Edited by kasg (Thu 04-Oct-12 14:32:57)

Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Thu 04-Oct-12 15:22:01
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Anonymous:
Unfortunately Isp's are given very little or no real control over FTTC connections I agree that they should be able to control things , the customer should be given the option of having their line config controlled by DLM or it being set up by their isp and DLM not used ,
short sightedness from openreach management if you ask me, requiring an engineer to reset DLM, lol Is an option that should be available to all Isp's via a control panel and done remotely

Edited by tommy45 (Thu 04-Oct-12 15:23:44)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Chrysalis
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 04-Oct-12 16:26:44
Print Post

[re: tommy45] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by tommy45:
In reply to a post by Anonymous:
Unfortunately Isp's are given very little or no real control over FTTC connections I agree that they should be able to control things , the customer should be given the option of having their line config controlled by DLM or it being set up by their isp and DLM not used ,
short sightedness from openreach management if you ask me, requiring an engineer to reset DLM, lol Is an option that should be available to all Isp's via a control panel and done remotely

indeed a huge benefit of LLU was the lack of DLM.

when I get FTTC I will defenitly want fast path and if I dont get it then tech support are in for a hard time.
Standard User Ignitionnet
(knowledge is power) Thu 04-Oct-12 16:49:25
Print Post

[re: Chrysalis] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Chrysalis:

when I get FTTC I will defenitly want fast path and if I dont get it then tech support are in for a hard time.

Can I ask why fast path is such an issue? Jitter is far more important than an extra few ms of baseline latency whatever the application, I speak as a guy who runs interactive applications, ssh, VoIP, etc, via the west coast USA on a nearly 200ms RTT link with sub-4ms jitter.
Standard User simon194
(member) Thu 04-Oct-12 17:10:22
Print Post

[re: Ignitionnet] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Ignitionnet:
In reply to a post by Chrysalis:

Can I ask why fast path is such an issue? Jitter is far more important than an extra few ms of baseline latency whatever the application, I speak as a guy who runs interactive applications, ssh, VoIP, etc, via the west coast USA on a nearly 200ms RTT link with sub-4ms jitter.

I get 10-15ms pings with interleaving on and it wasn't much lower when the line was on fastpath so I don't really see what the probem is.
Standard User Ixel
(member) Thu 04-Oct-12 18:10:46
Print Post

[re: Chrysalis] [link to this post]

Interleaving on VDSL2 is no where near as bad as it was on ADSLx (1, 2, 2+). Unless interleaving is quite high (e.g. INP 5 or greater) pings are still quite low in my view. I'm currently on INP 3, delay 8, depth hovering around 1000, and I am getting 16ms-18ms to bbc.co.uk.
Standard User jchamier
(knowledge is power) Thu 04-Oct-12 19:06:31
Print Post

[re: Ixel] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Ixel:
Interleaving on VDSL2 is no where near as bad as it was on ADSLx (1, 2, 2+). Unless interleaving is quite high (e.g. INP 5 or greater) pings are still quite low in my view. I'm currently on INP 3, delay 8, depth hovering around 1000, and I am getting 16ms-18ms to bbc.co.uk.

I'm getting pings of 17-18ms to bbc.co.uk and my jitter is around 0.22ms on BT Infinity 2 - I believe interleave has turned itself on here too. Dropped from 51meg on install to 46meg and seems to be holding.

(Jitter measured by Samknows box)

James BT Infinity 2 19/09/2012 - Estimate 44.6/6.5 - Install 52/12 - Actual 46 / 8 Mbps
13 years of broadband - ntl:(512k/1M)/BTbusiness(2M)/Metronet(2M)/Bulldog(8M/16M)/BE(16M)/BT FTTC(50M)
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 04-Oct-12 19:32:42
Print Post

[re: Ixel] [link to this post]

Billford's BQM could be seen swapping interleaving on and off, and it happened to me once or twice on 40/10. Mostly fast path. Both on IDNet.

IIRC the difference was about 5ms, from 13 going up to 18.

Which reminds me, for a fiver I can now have a static IP again and see how mine is. Could be useful!

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Connection - Plusnet Extra Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 56.0/13.9Mbps @ 600m.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User jchamier
(knowledge is power) Thu 04-Oct-12 20:04:18
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
Billford's BQM could be seen swapping interleaving on and off, and it happened to me once or twice on 40/10. Mostly fast path. Both on IDNet. IIRC the difference was about 5ms, from 13 going up to 18.
Which reminds me, for a fiver I can now have a static IP again and see how mine is. Could be useful!

Yeah, the only downside of BT Infinity and Sky is the lack of static IP - and the only place I've noticed this lack is on the BQM !! Everything else I thought I used it for is happy with a DynDns.

James BT Infinity 2 19/09/2012 - Estimate 44.6/6.5 - Install 52/12 - Actual 46 / 8 Mbps
13 years of broadband - ntl:(512k/1M)/BTbusiness(2M)/Metronet(2M)/Bulldog(8M/16M)/BE(16M)/BT FTTC(50M)
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to