General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Billy_Hunt
(experienced) Thu 04-Oct-12 20:00:44
Print Post

Think I found why my cabinet hasn't gone live

[link to this post]

capturelzq.jpg

The cabinet (P19) has been there for a while and the exchange (SLDIO) went live recently.
Naively I thought I would be able to order by now hence the investigation.
I'm out of contract with my current provider so I'm paying full price which I don't like doing.
Realistically how long am I looking at before this cabinet goes live?
There's nothing on any line checkers at all that mention any dates.
I'm considering shopping around and getting a better deal for the next 12 months but I don't want to if I'll soon be able to order fibre
Are the line checkers likely to change once the work has been completed?
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 04-Oct-12 20:08:48
Print Post

Re: Think I found why my cabinet hasn't gone live

[re: Billy_Hunt] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Billy_Hunt:
I'm out of contract with my current provider so I'm paying full price which I don't like doing.
(We can't scroll that display of course smile).

I'm surprised at what I've quoted though. Which ISP? What deal were you on before?

The exchange is definitely live is it? Samknows hasn't caught up yet.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Connection - Plusnet Extra Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 56.0/13.9Mbps @ 600m.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User R0NSKI
(committed) Thu 04-Oct-12 20:16:11
Print Post

It could be any time soon, or it could be months, no real way of knowing for sure.

Your could try the Superfast Where and When Site, sometimes that will give additional information about hold ups.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User WWWombat
(experienced) Thu 04-Oct-12 20:18:27
Print Post

The BT Wholesale checker (here) would normally tell you that FTTC was available for your line, but add a prefix (with a date) to say that it wasn't there yet. Its important to use a phone number rather than postcode or address, to get the best information.

The date would (likely) have been a placeholder, specifying end-March, June, September, or December - in this case it would have read end-Sept last week, and recently changed to end-December.

Neither would have been true, as the date would normally then change again, around a week before it actually went live. However, some places just change from a placeholder to a "live now" indication (ie no date at all).

If the fibre connection is the last step, then it might go live within 2 weeks or so of the end of the roadworks - assuming the subsequent fibre pull/blow happens quickly.

Or there might still be other issues, such as power, delaying things further.

Best case: Another 2 weeks
Bad case: Another 3-6 months
Really terrible case: Another year.

You could contact OR to find out *their* best estimate:
Email available in FAQ on BTOR Website
Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Thu 04-Oct-12 20:24:59
Print Post

capturelzq.jpg

The cabinet (P19) has been there for a while and the exchange (SLDIO) went live recently.
Naively I thought I would be able to order by now hence the investigation.
There's nothing on any line checkers at all that mention any dates.
I'm considering shopping around and getting a better deal for the next 12 months but I don't want to if I'll soon be able to order fibre
Are the line checkers likely to change once the work has been completed?
MMM, Do you have a crystal ball by any chance ? Sorry but all too often BT supply details of this sort of work to the councils, they then do what they need to do, and it get listed on their streetworks map , But in my area there has been a lot of times where they didn't even start the planned work, I doubt that this is unique to the area that i live, so i wouldn't read too much into it,

No, there is no information flow into the public domain from openreach, if your cab wasn't enabled on same date as the exchange started accepting orders, as to why this is the case is anyones guess, There was some talk of them publishing info for FTTC cabs that where delayed ,but so far it seems as all talk no info,Or maybe it could be that openreach don't regard those cabs that are not accepting orders on the same date as exchange as being delayed

Standard User jchamier
(knowledge is power) Thu 04-Oct-12 20:40:32
Print Post

[re: tommy45] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by tommy45:
No, there is no information flow into the public domain from openreach, if your cab wasn't enabled on same date as the exchange started accepting orders, as to why this is the case is anyones guess, There was some talk of them publishing info for FTTC cabs that where delayed ,but so far it seems as all talk no info,Or maybe it could be that openreach don't regard those cabs that are not accepting orders on the same date as exchange as being delayed

Frankly I wonder if you ever read the OP's post? The picture he linked to says there is a DUCT BLOCKAGE that OR are raising the necessary paperwork to dig the road to get into the duct. It could be a main road with lots of heavy lorries driving on it , and a duct that's not been touched in 40 years too!

James BT Infinity 2 19/09/2012 - Estimate 44.6/6.5 - Install 52/12 - Actual 46 / 8 Mbps
13 years of broadband - ntl:(512k/1M)/BTbusiness(2M)/Metronet(2M)/Bulldog(8M/16M)/BE(16M)/BT FTTC(50M)
Standard User kitcat
(member) Thu 04-Oct-12 20:48:03
Print Post

[re: tommy45] [link to this post]

Tommy

This was from the Openreach info about a delayed cabinet. That is what the link showed. That is how the OP knows what was delaying the cab and what was being done.

He wanted to know how long it would be.

Only way to find out is to look at the roadworks list to find out when BT will be allowed to do the work.

Then add on a couple of weeks to blow the fibre through the tube when it is pulled in. Hoping/praying that there is not another blockage further on!
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 04-Oct-12 21:08:42
Print Post

[re: kitcat] [link to this post]

Maybe he's got blocked optical nerve-fibre ducts.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Connection - Plusnet Extra Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 56.0/13.9Mbps @ 600m.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User pob
(member) Thu 04-Oct-12 22:49:12
Print Post

I'm just up the road from you in another part of North Anston.

The cabinet on my road was installed in April and meant to go live on 30th Sept. Over last weekend the date on the BT checker was updated to 31st December. Some other cabinets in Dinnington have gone live though, according to the checker.

No real rush for me though as I'm using Digital Region, and have been for over 18 months, so I'm already used to 40/10 speeds.
Standard User think26872
(committed) Fri 05-Oct-12 08:45:01
Print Post

I think my cabinet has been delayed can you tell me what site you are using to get details of BT roadworks as in your image? Thanks
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to