General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User biggyt
(newbie) Fri 05-Oct-12 09:31:28
Print Post

My strange fibre install

[link to this post]

Well, today I got TalkTalk fibre installed. Currently have 38Mb/sec down and 2 up (after having 3 down and .7 up on ADSL).

The bloke who came to do it was a contractor to BT Openreach. My setup was I had a 5m RJ11 lead from my spliter which was plugged in to my master socket. This RJ11 lead ran up to my router (which is sat on top of a bookcase) and then connected to my PC via an ethernet cable.

I assumed he could install the Openreach VDSL modem near the master socket and run an ethernet cable up to my new HG533 router (which would take the place of my old ADSL router on top of the bookcase) from where I could connect it to my PC as usual. How wrong I was. The engineer didn't have any RJ45 plugs to crimp to the new cable he ran in place of my existing RJ11 lead. He went to the local BT depot to get some then came back. He said 'I told my boss what I was doing and he told me to stop as the VDSL modem must be adjacent to the router'! I (and him) thought this was rubbish so we drove in his van to the local Maplins where I got a 5m ethernet (RJ45) cable, costing me £8.99.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 05-Oct-12 09:39:30
Print Post

Re: My strange fibre install

[re: biggyt] [link to this post]

So what is the layout now? You haven't said. We can't really comment on whether it's good or has drawback without knowing that.

The VDSL modem should be close to the filtered faceplate, unless a BT issue data extension cable or equivalent is used to site it elsewhere.

The modem and router can be up the full 100m standard ethernet distance apart. I think it likely there was a mis-communication between him and his boss.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet Extra Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 56.0/13.9Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 05-Oct-12 09:40:45
Print Post

In reply to a post by biggyt:
... so we drove in his van to the local Maplins where I got a 5m ethernet (RJ45) cable, costing me £8.99.
Interesting insurance implications there tongue.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.

Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 05-Oct-12 09:49:42
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

"I think it likely there was a mis-communication between him and his boss. "

Have found install video's and words from Openreach that say as much, so boss is just following the company line. We know that Ethernet can do 100m and further if reasonable cable.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User biggyt
(newbie) Fri 05-Oct-12 09:59:50
Print Post

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
So what is the layout now? You haven't said. We can't really comment on whether it's good or has drawback without knowing that.

The VDSL modem should be close to the filtered faceplate, unless a BT issue data extension cable or equivalent is used to site it elsewhere.

The modem and router can be up the full 100m standard ethernet distance apart. I think it likely there was a mis-communication between him and his boss.

I have my VDSL modem (their VDSL modem!) screwed to the wall next to the filtered faceplate, my new 5m ethernet cable then runs to my fibre router (HG533) which is sat a few metres away. This router is then connected to my PC via another 5m ethernet cable (which I was using when I was on ADSL)
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 05-Oct-12 10:16:36
Print Post

That's fine. Basically a standard installation.

Enjoy smile .

Standard User biggyt
(newbie) Fri 05-Oct-12 13:17:18
Print Post

I have just had the £8.99 I paid for the new ethernet cable refunded by TalkTalk

Edited by biggyt (Fri 05-Oct-12 13:19:35)

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 05-Oct-12 16:31:03
Print Post

LMAO.
That's a coup.

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sat 06-Oct-12 12:46:55
Print Post

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
LMAO.
That's a coup.

I was surprised smile
  Print Thread

Jump to