General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User zirhky
(newbie) Fri 05-Oct-12 11:49:03
Print Post

Who to believe, Sky Customer Services or Openreach W&W Map?!

[link to this post]

Hey everyone.
My area (Washington) is now accepting orders for Fibre broadband, and so I placed mine with Sky a couple weeks ago. However around the same I found the Openreach When and Where map, and to my disappointment I discovered that my cabinet has a yellow pin on it, stating that it is not commercially viable to supply power to this cabinet, being a "very rare occurrence". I emailed Openreach for clarification and the issue was confirmed.
So I assumed my order with Sky would end up being cancelled, and there was now a delayed status on my order. However according to a nice lady from Sky Customer Services, the delay in the order isn't with the Fibre, but with my phone line, and if I was actually unable to get Fibre Broadband my order would have cancelled straight away at their end? She's been keeping me informed on the order over the past couple weeks, and I got a call today from her to say that the order is still going ahead, and that "they" are routing the phone line and will be finished work on the 12th October?! By "they" I'm assuming she means Openreach?
I'm just really confused by the conflicting information from different people. I assumed the Openreach W&W Map would have the most accurate/updated information since it is them doing the work...
Anyone have any input, or a similar situation?
Thanks.
Standard User Ribble
(committed) Fri 05-Oct-12 12:14:21
Print Post

Re: Who to believe, Sky Customer Services or Openreach W&W M

[re: zirhky] [link to this post]

Lots of Washington cabs are active. Which cab do you believe you are connected to?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 05-Oct-12 12:14:58
Print Post

Routing phone line sounds very like getting the phone line running through the Sky LLU hardware in the exchange, which is independent of the fibre order.

My money is that Sky discover that once the line is running that the fibre is not available

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User zirhky
(newbie) Fri 05-Oct-12 12:48:44
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Ribble - The cabinet I'm connected to is P18 - my postcode is NE38 7JR... Unfortunately I'm currently with TalkTalk so I've been unable to check anything via my phone number, which seems to be deemed the most accurate...

MrSaffron - yeah it's crossed my mind that she could be referring to something Sky-related and when they're done they'll discover it's not actually possible! In fact I'm 90% sure, but there's still that naive/hopeful 10% of me saying "Hey, this could still happen, man!"

Edited by zirhky (Fri 05-Oct-12 12:50:48)

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 05-Oct-12 13:03:56
Print Post

Then they might say you are in a contract for the phone .... frown

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet Extra Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 56.0/13.9Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User izools
(experienced) Fri 05-Oct-12 13:22:32
Print Post

In reply to a post by zirhky:
Ribble - The cabinet I'm connected to is P18 - my postcode is NE38 7JR... Unfortunately I'm currently with TalkTalk so I've been unable to check anything via my phone number, which seems to be deemed the most accurate...

MrSaffron - yeah it's crossed my mind that she could be referring to something Sky-related and when they're done they'll discover it's not actually possible! In fact I'm 90% sure, but there's still that naive/hopeful 10% of me saying "Hey, this could still happen, man!"

Looks like your cab is indeed in the planned rollout smile

http://fttc-check.alc.im/results.php?postcode=NE387JR

(legend) Fri 05-Oct-12 13:24:49
Print Post

In reply to a post by zirhky:
Does the TalkTalk checker say you can get FTTC?

_____________________________________________________________________________________________ this is not usenet __________________
Standard User Ribble
(committed) Fri 05-Oct-12 13:32:19
Print Post

[re: izools] [link to this post]

I dont believe its in service yet
Standard User izools
(experienced) Fri 05-Oct-12 13:39:25
Print Post

[re: Ribble] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Ribble:
I dont believe its in service yet

Perhaps not, but it will be at some point smile

(newbie) Fri 05-Oct-12 13:45:26
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

The TalkTalk checker says "Great News!" with a date of January 2013 - this was checked via my phone number...

My Sky order was scheduled for 16th October for Installation, and Customer Services are telling me that works will be completed on the 12th.

izools - appreciate you checking on FTTC Check. I'd already done that so was aware my cabinet was in the planned rollout - but what Openreach are saying (according to the W&W Map) is that when it's come to supplying power to the cabinet they've decided it's not commercially viable to do so, and the cabinet has been deferred from the program... I'm assuming the Openreach W&W Map is more up-to-date than FTTC Check as individual cabinet data on there is from December 2011?
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to